Post Match Crystal Palace 2 - Leicester City 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't think he's inspiring confidence at the moment. I'm one of his biggest supporters usually. Last season, he was superb. But so far, he's not saved anything he shouldn't have and his decision making has been suspect. Our achilles heel last season was defending set pieces and he has us too deep because he won't come off his line. I also think he's committing to saves too early so if there is a deflection, or dummy, or chip, he's fecked.

Ultimately, if we end up conceding two goals every game, we're not going to stay up. We can't be satisfied that this is the norm. If Schmeichel isn't responsible, who is? The only time we've been defensively solid is when Schmeichel wasn't playing.

Edit: Just to say I'm currently watching Lloris commanding his area for Spurs. He's taking pressure off and asserting himself. The contrast to Schmeichel so far this season is obvious, particularly today.
I can see your point, but if he doesn't commit himself early he won't be able to save them if there isn't a deflection.

i'd have been more worieed if we'd won scabbily today.

If we had played as poor today as we did BUT we "scabbily" sneaked a 1-0, absolutely nobody would be on here saying they were worried about the result. There would likely be a lot of, "it's great to see that we can win when not playing well" etc etc but nobody would be worried.

Schmeichel is a good, possibly very good keeper and is better than anything we have had in a long time. But we are not lucky to have him.

I'll say this.

If Vardy buries that early chance (he should have) I reckon we go on to win.

The first goal was always going to be important. Unfortunately palace got it which allowed them to sit deep and dare us to find a pass. We are a much better side when teams are chasing the game.

Burnley is a big UN now. Might be time for Hammond and possibly one or two others to take a back seat.

Last week we wank ourselves silly at beating a mid-table side, now we're all down as we've lost to one. Welcome to the mid table 5th to 17th Premier League club.

Well that was absolutely abject shit on every level possible.

But how was the change from Underground to Southern at Balham?

Bad day at the office,dust ourselves down and get ready for Burnley .

I don't see any over reaction in this thread. Nobody is saying we are in trouble of going down or are abject week on week.

BUT, Palace NOT Man U are a team we need to compete against and for 75 minutes we didn't. We set a one man wall for the second free kick which if we had gone with two would have been blocked. I also agree that Kasper needs to command his area better and come out for crosses more. He was caught too close to his line for both goals.

The game screamed out for width (on a narrow pitch) but we didn't try and get behind the defence. We were fairly woeful for 75 minutes and lacked a second option. Palace had done their homework on us and played smart.

We need to wise up.

Schmeichel 5 not bad but not inspiring.

De Laet 5 a bit shakey again and his time is nearly up as he is a defender first and foremost and is constantly exposed.

Konchesky 7 solid if unspectacular.

Morgan 6 not commanding of his area.

Moore see Morgan.

Drinkwater 6 murdered by their number 7 as was tge rest of our midfield - ineffective and second to every ball.

Cambiasso 6 not great.

Hammond 5 lightweight.

Vardy / Nugent / Ulloa a bad day for them all and lacked a spark.

Obviously disappointing to lose and perform poorly, however when you look at the start to the season so far it has still been an excellent effort. After the euphoria of last week, this game was always going to be difficult, remember with the exception of Cambiasso, the rest of the starting XI were plying their trade in the Championship.

Also given the intensity we play, there will be off days where the players look jaded or where we just don't hit the same levels and therefore look flat. Even in the MON era we still used to suffer the odd poor result and performance. in the bigger picture this result will certainly help keep the squad grounded and ensure that they don't get too carried away with the hype since last week.

Whilst no comparison with our performance against utd, Cardiff had an early victory last season against city. we can't allow last week to singularly define our season.

Is that the date you last wore trousers past the knee?

Unfortunately that was 27th September 2014. The great Walmart empire demands it of me.
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570