Crystal Palace 3 - 2 Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Fox

**** me, these 0-0 draws are really boring me.

Unlucky lads...

Bad luck today we deserved better

Good 2nd half though.

Pity the first half we were so crap and the defence was shocking.
Palace were a bit lucky too according to Youngy.

Howard made a difference. Matty could be dropped possibly for the Cup game.

Glad Wellens came on too Why he didn't start I'm not sure - Sousa not keen on him for some reason

The thing that we need to know from some of the chaps who were there is, 'Were we better in the second half, or did Palace ease off?'

Not too concerned, yet. It will take a few competitive matches for the team to settle to Sousa's style (Remember MON!)

Don't agree with it being unlucky, you make your own luck as they say. Shot ourselves in the foot but tried hard to make amends. Hopefully next week the players are more focussed and we can stuff the Boro

Thank God for those 2 goals, should at least make the mood a bit more positive than it would've been after the half time score!

Hopefully will be better when Sousa's signings and Gallagher come back in as well, plus a few more signings. We definetely do need more decent players, the squad is very thin in numbers.

do they screen any of the calls on radio leicester?

1 game lost by 1 goal and people calling for the head of de Sousa.

Im moderately happy considering a terrible first half.

On the bus now, we were better except a dreadful thirty minute spell. It was the worse I'd seen us play in years. Morrison was wank and we allowed Alan Lee to dominate the high ball. A rather baffling game, very annoyed yet encouraged.

Weale - 5. At first sight appeared to be at fault for number two. Composed and reasonably safe pair of hands though.
Neilson - 6. Best game in a City shirt, capped by a superb cross for the first.
Morrison - 4. Dropped a horrendous bollock for the first and had a torrid first half alongside Hobbs but eventually recovered well.
Hobbs - 4. Poor game for last season's player of the year. All at sea for Palace's third, misplaced several passes and looked off the pace. Woke up after the break.
Berner - 5. Didn't make the tackle he should have for the third. Improved second half.
N'Guessan - 4. Never got going.
King - 7. As always, did his best Took his header well.
Oakley - 6. Rescued the defence more than once.
Dyer - 7. City's best player, looked dangerous. Needs to take a better corner.
Fryatt - 4. Marked out of the game, didn't have much chance to affect anything. The few chances he had, he lost possession.
Campbell - 6. Took his goal well, looked lively.
Wellens - 5. Didn't get chance to do much but what he did he got right.
Howard - 5. Good ball for Campbell's goal, looked good.

Just seen the goals on SSN.

I thought Weale should have done better on all 3 of the goals. Dreadful defending and dreadful goal keeping.

How the feck can a solid back four turn into a bunch of utterly incompetent wankpieces ?

Truly awful defending in every way

Shambles

Not sure why so many are saying bad luck. Going three down following some shocking defending was nothing to do with luck. Fryatt missing an open goal (according to RL) was not unlucky.

Stringy talking to Neilson now I expect having co-commentated with Alan Young today he probably was able to understand him better.

At least he came out though -Oakley refused so they just said

Last edited:
Fryatt's chance was harder than most folk will make out. The cross was blasted at him and Speroni was in front of him. King had a good chance but hit it straight at Speroni.

BM's ratings summed it up nicely.

From BBC which might be showing the goals during the Leeds/Derby halftime

Crystal Palace 3 - 2 Leicester

Crystal Palace survived a second-half fightback from Leicester as they won a thrilling opening day contest.

Palace opened the scoring through 17-year-old Wilfred Zaha who volleyed past keeper Chris Weale before Darren Ambrose scored from 18-yards-out.

And just before the break Alan Lee made it 3-0 with a tap in from close range.

Leicester were back in the game when Andy King headed home Robbie Neilson's cross before DJ Campbell found the net from Steve Howard's squared pass.

Palace boss George Burley and his Leicester counterpart Paulo Sousa were making their debuts in their respective dugouts and saw the best and worst of their new charges.

For Crystal Palace the victory was a welcome boost following a summer of financial uncertainty.

I am giving a reaction without being at the game and I never listen to the radio commentary. It is largely based on Blue Maniacs very useful post.

This is a disappointing result bit not disastrous. I would guess that the team that we see in September will look different to this one.

Morrison and Hobbs are extremely able Championship defenders but also very inexperienced. It may be that they have not understood what Paulo wants from them.

All three goals were scored in the 1st half. Does this mean that the defence was sorted out its problems in the second half? Either way judging by BMs comments there needs to be some serious thinking by Hobbs and Morrison.

If Dyer was playing on the right and if as suggested he was our best5 player there is an argument for him continuing to play there.

In theory the Fryatt-Campbell partnership ought to work. In practice I get wonder whether when one plays well the other plays badly. Both seem mentally a bit fragile. In the Season Of Four Managers Fryatt never seemed to recover from Martin Allen humiliating him. When Pearson firmly chose him ahead of DJ he flourished. Paulo has boosted DJ and apparently it has worked. Maybe he needs to boost both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669