Crystal Palace Post Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't manage to go or hear the RL commentary, but after talking last night & this morning to a few who went the general feeling was that we looked far better in the second half after MDV got took off. The opinion was that he contributed very little and there was far more movement up front after Hume replaced him. Disappointment also with Newton, although he had a lot of the ball nothing creative ever seemed to come of it. Clemence & Weso did well in midfield with Clemence edging MOTM ahead of Kisnorbo. Pretty solid at the back but a few errors by MaCauley. One positive comment was that it was good to see a proper left back at last. All were unhappy about the result but said they would have settled for that before the kick off.

Sunday Times fairly criticial:

FOR Crystal Palace, a curate’s egg of a week. A trouncing of Southampton, elimination from the Carling Cup by lowly opposition and now a point against a team who had come to south London seemingly with no ambitions beyond nullifying their opponents

For all their changes to the playing staff during the close season – there have been 12 additions to the squad - Leicester have rarely looked as if returning to the Premier League is a likelihood.

Doesn't sound much like what others, and John Salako, reported

Marshall Cockney Fox; said:
I would play

Fulop
Chambers Ngotty Kisnorbo Clarke

Clemence Weso Porter

Hume

Fryatt DJ

A bold line up but this may lend itself to a bit more variety of movement. The onus would be on the full backs to push up a lot more as both Clem and Weso would anchor. Hume and Porter would be encouraged in turn to get beyond the strikers and pull defenders away from Fryatt and DJ.

I have picked Fryatt as really do beleive he is capable of running the line and has a far more imaganitive footballing brain than that demonstrated by MDV yesterday.

This is the team I would like to see tried as well as it utilises the best performing players we have at the moment. There is a real need for us to support the strikers better from midfield and without a true attacking centre midfielder currently Hume looks to be the man.

I thought Hume looked really unfit yesterday, he was blowing hard after his first run and clearly signalled that the didn't want to receive the throw after his first touch. Much better link up with DJ than MDV though and Levi was decent without really being able to get the ball past the first man.

Quite a good day out all in all though, decentish banter with the home fans, pity about the ending.

I thought Hume looked really unfit yesterday, he was blowing hard after his first run and clearly signalled that the didn't want to receive the throw after his first touch. Much better link up with DJ than MDV though and Levi was decent without really being able to get the ball past the first man.

Quite a good day out all in all though, decentish banter with the home fans, pity about the ending.

Yeah i thought he looked like he'd put a few pounds on. Too many pre season burgers.

For me, an encouraging match, especially at the graveyard known as Selhurst Park. Plus, although he didn't pull any trees up, we had a competent left back actually playing at left back!

It is easy to overreact to early results - last season 12th-placed Crystal Palace won their opening three games while the champions Sunderland lost their first four - but there was nothing in this drab draw to suggest either team should expect more than a mid-table finish to the campaign.

Set pieces were responsible for all four goals, which was fitting because there was little imagination in open play. But after the opening-day defeat at home to Blackpool, it was understandable that the Leicester manager, Martin Allen, was content to get off the mark. "I thought we played very well today and I was delighted with the players," he said, perhaps overstating the performance to appease his chairman, Milan Mandaric, with whom rumours of a rift have surfaced. Allen started six summer signings, with the duo taken on loan from Sunderland last week, Marton Fulop and Clive Clarke, making solid if unspectacular debuts in goal and at left-back. The captain Stephen Clemence, calm in possession and authoritative when not, was the pick of the new arrivals.

Missing the injured Ben Watson and Carl Fletcher, the Crystal Palace manager, Peter Taylor, gave his own recent loanee, José Fonte from Benfica, a berth in midfield but he was taken off at half-time. By that stage Palace, trying to build on a 4-1 win at Southampton, were a goal ahead courtesy of Stuart Green's low free-kick. "The longer we go unbeaten we'll have a chance," said Green. "If we can improve on last season, we won't be far away."

It was Leicester who improved in the second half and they levelled when DJ Campbell scrambled home his first goal for the club after Patrick Kisnorbo's header was blocked on the line. The Foxes then seemed set to snatch three points when Kisnorbo nodded in another Clemence corner with three minutes remaining.

If Leicester's goals highlighted one of Palace's flaws from last season - regular concession from corners - so Clinton Morrison's stoppage-time equaliser, poked in after Danny Butterfield's deflected free-kick fell to him, reminded Leicester fans of their inability to hold late leads. There may be 44 games to go, but on this evidence neither club has much cause for excitement at the season ahead.
Man of the match Patrick Kisnorbo (Leicester City)

From The Guardian

Closer to it from The Guardian. However I still feel we deserve more credit for the way we got about it 2nd half.

I think if Patrick Kisnorbo played agaist blackpool last week we would have easily won that game, we had quite a few corners and he is the one that causes trouble in the box and you have a feeling when he is in there that the team could score, i remember how it was with matty elliot when he use to go for the corners that the team is about to score anytime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00