David Sullivan may target Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
But in Peter Taylor's first season we spent more on transfers than any other season in the club's history, and massively upped the wages of Izzet to stop him going to Celtic iirc.

That was just compounding the financial cesspit we were already in

Anyone who thinks that the club was on a sound financial footing when O'Neill scarpered is either a bit simple, or was too busy making their 'Pierpoint Out' placard to notice what was really going on

I think the thing is when MON left there was booty which was then completely spunked by Twaylor.

The Elliott extension, the Matt Jones contract, the new Lennon contract, The Dennis w*s* contract, signings including Davidson, Scowcroft, Benjamin, Akinbiyi. All executed by the following regime if I recall.

I know Taylor gave w*s* 32K a week on a three year deal....he was 35 at the time.

I'm neither simple nor a Pierpoint out enthusiast.

In fact, I can only be defined in one way...that of a tit lover.

Last edited:
But in Peter Taylor's first season we spent more on transfers than any other season in the club's history, and massively upped the wages of Izzet to stop him going to Celtic iirc.

The remarkable thing is that when Peter Taylor was appointed it was thought that Leicester had got the best young manager in the country.
For one game he was actually temporary England manager and was seen as Sven's successor.
The other two candidates were Joe Kinnear who was regarded as "old hat" and whose heart problems told against him and David Moyes who was regarded as too inexperienced. Hindsight is very easy but what a pity we did not appoint Moyes.

The remarkable thing is that when Peter Taylor was appointed it was thought that Leicester had got the best young manager in the country.
For one game he was actually temporary England manager and was seen as Sven's successor.
The other two candidates were Joe Kinnear who was regarded as "old hat" and whose heart problems told against him and David Moyes who was regarded as too inexperienced. Hindsight is very easy but what a pity we did not appoint Moyes.

:102: What's that got to do with tits?

I don't buy into that view of it. When MON left the club was financially sound, it was the following custodian that dished out absurd contracts. I suppose you could argue that MON made himself so irreplaceable that when he did leave the club we were destined to fail.

I don't really want to get into a MON argument, because frankly I'll just end up disagreeing with you even more. So what would be the point? But I can say that I do disagree with you in this regard.

I wholly agree with that and I don't really think that we would disagree at all. MON himself operated a tight ship financially and the club was on an increasingly sound footing; it's just a pity that he ran the more financially-adept members of the board out of town, leaving a vacuum in which (and I like your words, so I'll use them) the following custodian was allowed to dish out absurd contracts - and pay some absurd fees.

We should all rue the fact that MON and Pierpoint just couldn't get on with each other.

When o'neill left, he left us with a premiership team. Taylor replaced this team with players like lee marshall, junior lewis, ade akinbiyi and trevor benjamin. Taylor f*cked us completely. O'neill gave me the best days of my supporting career and for that he will be always be a legend in my eyes!

I wholly agree with that and I don't really think that we would disagree at all. MON himself operated a tight ship financially and the club was on an increasingly sound footing; it's just a pity that he ran the more financially-adept members of the board out of town, leaving a vacuum in which (and I like your words, so I'll use them) the following custodian was allowed to dish out absurd contracts - and pay some absurd fees.

We should all rue the fact that MON and Pierpoint just couldn't get on with each other.

Yes, but that's only in hindsight, if we had hired someone else, such as the afforementioned David Moyes for example, that extra money Taylor got could've turned out to work wonders. I was far too young to understand what the whole Pierpoint Out thing was about, just remember it happenening.

Don't rue the fact they didn't get on at all, just rue the fact that the extra money we did spend as a result of them not getting on, was spent by an absolutely inept manager.

Last edited:
Yes, but that's only in hindsight, if we had hired someone else, such as the afforementioned David Moyes for example, that extra money Taylor got could've turned out to work wonders. I was far too young to understand what the whole Pierpoint Out thing was about, just remember it happenening.

Don't rue the fact they didn't get on at all, just rue the fact that the extra money we did spend as a result of them not getting on, was spent by an absolutely inept manager.

My point is that there were no controls on that absolutely inept manager's spending. There should have been - and would have been if it were not for the fact that MON and Pierpoint could not get on.

And it's not only hindsight that highlights this. There were plenty of people who at the time pointed out that MON's time at Leicester was coming to an end, Gang of Four drama or not, and that he was exploiting the situation for his own ends and not for the good of the club.

I remember asking MON at that seasons Player of the Year do if he would've talked to Leeds if they'd been allowed to speak to him...he told me he would've walked away from us without a backwards glance....

Now, he gave us some of our best times as Leicester fans(indeed I'm not old enough to remember any better ones!) but the way he was so blunt about that annoyed me.

And of course a couple of weeks later he pissed off to Celtic....

Pierpoint would have saved the club from administration then :102:

Interesting that he has ran a couple of companies that have gone into administration since then :icon_redf

I remember asking MON at that seasons Player of the Year do if he would've talked to Leeds if they'd been allowed to speak to him...he told me he would've walked away from us without a backwards glance....

Now, he gave us some of our best times as Leicester fans(indeed I'm not old enough to remember any better ones!) but the way he was so blunt about that annoyed me.

Interesting post who's not quite telling the truth then???

"I loved it there (Leicester City)," says Martin O'Neill, in that gentle Irish brogue bristling with sincerity that brooks no argument.
"I put my heart and soul into the club. It was as if Leicester City Football club was my club, my baby."
Read the full first part of a special interview with Martin O'Neill in Friday's Leicester Mercury

Why would Martin O'Neill tell you a fan that then? Or are you Alan Birchenall???

It was his ego that fecked us up in the end, even though he had long departed.
He would never wear any of the official kit, even though contracted to do so, because of the branding. He wanted to run everything as loke his old boss Clough, but he is far away from being another Clough!

Perhaps o'neill still remembered the absolute shit that he got in his early days - hate mail being spat at etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669