David Sullivan may target Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bluenoses I know both despise this guy, it seems they want him out as quick as possible. Don't think this'd be a good move at all.

Last edited:
I think this is very simple.

We were lucky to get MM - but MM isn't super rich by the contemporary standards. Had he been, he would have stayed and further invested in Portsmouth.

David Sullivan hasn't spent enough to keep the Blue Noses happy but might be prepared to spend more than MM is likely to do in the future.

I think this is very simple.

We were lucky to get MM - but MM isn't super rich by the contemporary standards. Had he been, he would have stayed and further invested in Portsmouth.

David Sullivan hasn't spent enough to keep the Blue Noses happy but might be prepared to spend more than MM is likely to do in the future.

Spot on

Swap one no-good dodgy-dealing untrustworthy on-the make bastard egomaniac who doesn't really give a toss about the club other than to make him some more cash, for another one that is exactly the same, but maybe has a bit more spare money

Easy decision

I would rather keep Milan who I feel does really enjoy football. He may not be a billionaire but neither is David Sullivan. I hate the kind of board room manoeverings that we had in the past. The club at the moment seems more professionally run than I can remember even in the great years of Bloomfield or O'Neill. For this much of the credit should go to Nigel Pearson and Steve Walsh but some also to Milan and Lee Hoos.

Lets just hope we dont go the way of Portsmouth when Milan decides to sell up...

Imo Harry has helped fecked them up with recruiting players on wages way beyond what the club were capable of supporting.
Some would say that MON did the same to us.
Whatever the opinion i cant see us being in the same mess, seeing that todays wage bill should be on a more moderate footing

I would rather keep Milan who I feel does really enjoy football. He may not be a billionaire but neither is David Sullivan. I hate the kind of board room manoeverings that we had in the past. The club at the moment seems more professionally run than I can remember even in the great years of Bloomfield or O'Neill. For this much of the credit should go to Nigel Pearson and Steve Walsh but some also to Milan and Lee Hoos.

In what way DG (ignoring on the pitch performance) :102:

Last edited:
In what way DG (ignoring on the pitch performance) :102:

Two things led me to think this. One was the way that we brought in cover when things went wrong e.g. the bad luck we had with goalkeepers. No sooner did we lose a goalkeeper than another good one was loaned. What must have been very difficult was made to look easy.
The second was the lack of rumours over transfers during the summer. I take it that all four have a say in transfers - Walsh recommends to Pearson, Pearson asks Milan for the money, Milan gets Hoos to deal with the contract. Yet there seem to have been no leaks. Whatever rumours there were seemed to come from other clubs or from agents. This made for a dull close season but was very proferssional.

I cannot imagine the club at present giving the number one shirt to a player no one at the club has ever seen as happened with Jimmy Neilson. To be fair to Martin Allen he did watch a DVD of Kaebi before signing him.

I cannot imagine Nigel treating a player the way Hasselbank was treated. Remember Hasselbank was wanted by Martin Allen, agreed terms, was photographed with Leicester kit only for Allen to decide he wanted it to be a months trial after all. Totally unprofessional.

One can only speculate how things would have been different if Nigel had been manager in 2007 and chosen fourteen players including one for £2 million.

Many of us remember the days in the 1990s when the club was a joke. The Chairman and the Manager were banned by the chief executive from writing in the club programme. Things are more professional now.

I can't remember much of the running of the club in the Bloomfield days, but you can hardly say that it was being professionally run in the MON era. We had a despotic manager who forced the only element of professional ability out of the boardroom and left us with the vacuum that allowed the club to fall into the most desperate of financial situations. The on-pitch delights really closed our eyes to what was going on behind the scenes.

I can't remember much of the running of the club in the Bloomfield days, but you can hardly say that it was being professionally run in the MON era. We had a despotic manager who forced the only element of professional ability out of the boardroom and left us with the vacuum that allowed the club to fall into the most desperate of financial situations. The on-pitch delights really closed our eyes to what was going on behind the scenes.

I remember people used to complain about the board at the time. However, in retrospect they backed Bloomfield when we got into the First Division (now Premiership). I think it was 1971 when Bloomfield bought Jon Sammels, Alan Birchenall, Keith Weller and a little later Frank Worthington for nealy £400,000 which in those days was a huge sum of money. All four were established First Division stars and all four turned out to be excellent buys.

On the debit side the board (and fans) turned against Bloomfield after a couple of poor performances. If my memory serves me right the board sacked Bloomfield when we were in mid-table of the First Division. What would we give to be in that position now.

Lazy journalism here, they obviously know mandy might sell so they have just suggested Leicester. I wouldn't want him anyway to be honest.

I agree.

I want someone far richer and someone with even worse taste in decoration in their home. :icon_bigg

I don't buy into that view of it. When MON left the club was financially sound, it was the following custodian that dished out absurd contracts. I suppose you could argue that MON made himself so irreplaceable that when he did leave the club we were destined to fail.

I don't really want to get into a MON argument, because frankly I'll just end up disagreeing with you even more. So what would be the point? But I can say that I do disagree with you in this regard.

I don't buy into that view of it. When MON left the club was financially sound, it was the following custodian that dished out absurd contracts. I suppose you could argue that MON made himself so irreplaceable that when he did leave the club we were destined to fail.

I don't really want to get into a MON argument, because frankly I'll just end up disagreeing with you even more. So what would be the point? But I can say that I do disagree with you in this regard.

That is simply not true

O'Neill oversaw the awarding of enormous unsustainable contracts to the likes of Izzet, Elliott etc. prior to feckin' off and leaving us in the shit with massive over-commitments on the salary bill

But in Peter Taylor's first season we spent more on transfers than any other season in the club's history, and massively upped the wages of Izzet to stop him going to Celtic iirc.

That is simply not true

O'Neill oversaw the awarding of enormous unsustainable contracts to the likes of Izzet, Elliott etc. prior to feckin' off and leaving us in the shit with massive over-commitments on the salary bill

O'Neill was an extreme case of someone convincing everyone of his own irreplaceability and getting his own way on the basis of his personality and the fear that he would go to a bigger club.

The lesson is that no one should be regarded as bigger than the club and be allowed to over commit expenditure. Unfortunately he did prove more than difficult to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566