Defending for Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

We cannot defend. It doesn't matter what the formation is, the personnel that play, or the tactics we employ. We just cannot defend.

It matters not whether it is tracking runners, marking, blocking, tackling, winning headers, or whatever. We can't do it.

Between 23rd August and 26th December, we've played 25 matches in all competitions. All sorts of games against all sorts of opponent. We've played three central defenders or two, wing backs or full backs.

However, the cold hard truth is that we've shipped 49 goals in those 25 matches. We have one clean sheet in our last 19 matches in all competitions. Wherever we go and whoever we play, we expect to conceed a couple of goals.

We don't have anything much wrong going forward. We create chances, we have good enough forward players. But how long will they continue to give everything when it is pointless? When they know that whatever they do, it probably won't be enough?

Yes, we've missed Fofana and Justin all season. But we're delusional if we think that is the problem here. We've played plenty of these 25 matches with a perfectly capable defence. Experienced, international quality players making basic errors over and over again. Our problem is a fundamental one. We simply don't know how to defend typical game situations.

For me, heads have to roll. Changes have to be made. We need to make some changes to our coaching staff. Who is responsible for the set piece defending and why do we still employ them? Who drills these players on how to maintain a defensive line? They should be sacked. If the players are not taking instructions, they need to be moved on. Whether it's the players or the staff, it is time for people to be held responsible.

In any one off game, excuses will be made. Be it a referee, a VAR, an injury, a slip, or whatever. But this is not a blip. It is not a freak situation. It is endemic now. It won't change unless we do something that makes it change. And if the manager fails to address it during January, then he must be the one that takes the fall instead.

Yep - the fact that this has not been addressed to date is nothing short of neglect

It’s either the Manager, or his collection of coaches, or both of them together.

Whoever’s fault it is needs to **** off, and **** off soon

It's been unacceptable for far too long. We've had different formations and different players. The two constants are the management/coaching teem and the goalkeeper. One or both of those needs to change.

A key factor in getting a solid defence is playing the same players in a system. We haven’t been able to do that this season.

We’ve been terrible all season at defending and we’ve hardly played our first choice defensive line up all season. Is it so crazy to think those two might be related?

Then again you think Certainly BR is making up Injuries, so who knows…

It was the same last season so its got **** all to do with having a settled defence or otherwise. We've just been massively more shit than the shit we were previosly.

BR brough his coaches with him didn't he? it's all well & good coaching a defence in Scotland where you come up against attacking players with the overally quality of L1 most weeks. The PL is another matter entirely. What the actual **** is this zonal marking shite anyway? As far as I remember it was discredited over 2 decades ago. Are we going to play a wing-half next ****ing week?

It's all bullshit. If we could defend even moderately well we'd be in the top 6 now despite the injury carnage.

I said it before the other week. We are in the first stages of a rotting meltdown that needs to be addressed quickly. If we leave it past the summer it could spiral out of control & end up with panicky decisions leading to a Sunderland style spiral.

Heads need to roll & a new plan has to be thought up. Another summer of abysmal recruitment has to be avoided especially as we are losing most of our decent players come june/july.

This is the most important 12 months in the history of the club since Claudio was appointed. We either consolidate as a top 8 PL club or we crash & burn. We'll know by next Xmas which it's likely to be.

Top 4 is gone forever now that Spurs have a manager & Arteta has finally managed to get Arsenal moving. We need to cut our cloth, try to get in to the Europa again & make a ****ing effort to win it.

If we don't get this right we'll be back in the Championship in 3 years.

We’ve been terrible all season at defending and we’ve hardly played our first choice defensive line up all season. Is it so crazy to think those two might be related?

Then again you think Certainly BR is making up Injuries, so who knows…

Our defence has been pretty settled. As settled as most anyway in a very messy season.

This season, we've had the same keeper for every minute in the PL. Soyuncu has played 93% of PL minutes this season. Castagne has played 77% of minutes.

We all know that Schmeichel, Castagne, Evans, Soyuncu and Thomas are the preferred back line. Prior to today, that back five were the same in our last four PL games. They still shipped two against Watford, two against Southampton and two against Villa.

I just find it frustrating that, yes of course the coaching staff are paid to fix this. But these players have been defending set pieces since they were 8 year olds and many of them are internationals. So should surely have some personal knowledge on how to do it better, how to get organised and how to avoid silly mistakes on the pitch.

I just find it frustrating that, yes of course the coaching staff are paid to fix this. But these players have been defending set pieces since they were 8 year olds and many of them are internationals. So should surely have some personal knowledge on how to do it better, how to get organised and how to avoid silly mistakes on the pitch.
Which makes it all the more likely that they are following specific coaching instructions.

Yes we are terrible at the back but if Man City had to play their 4th choice cb, a part time cb, a 32 year old winger at RB and a good prospect from the academy at lb against one of the most expensive attacking lines in the world I guess they may struggle.

Yes we are terrible at the back but if Man City had to play their 4th choice cb, a part time cb, a 32 year old winger at RB and a good prospect from the academy at lb against one of the most expensive attacking lines in the world I guess they may struggle.
What about the rest of the season?

I agree with all of this. Defensively it has gone spectacularly wrong.

Our best players will not want to be part of something that is going backwards. A stubborn inability to change risks everything we have been building.

There certainly is a coaching issue, but I also think we need to acknowledge we have bought some unintelligent ****ing duffers. The concern I have is that the recruitment genie we had seems to have escaped from the bottle. Why anyone ever thought a man like Congerton was right for us baffles me. The cautionary tale that is Sunderland was right there. I just hope he hasn’t lit the fuse on our demise.

The one certainty is that we are defensively light years from where we need to be. With the exception of the Southampton lads, we aren’t that terrible. We know they can play, we just aren’t helping them do that. I think we need to add some more quality. Evans is injured almost constantly. Yes it might cost £30mil + but the cost of not doing it could be loss of our best players and eventually our place in this league.

For me we don’t need to add a massive amount, but it does need to be quality.

If that doesn’t improve us Rogers will have to go.

It’s depressing isn’t it. We have all done this enough to know the difference between when we are riding the crest of a wave, when the wave breaks, and when the trough is inevitable. If we are honest we know how this one ends.

What about the rest of the season?
Poor coaching, half fit players, out of form players, useless players but my comments addressed the team on the pitch yesterday. Driving back we had to listen to talksport regularly wanking over their first goal as if one of the world's best midfielders had beaten a couple of world class cbs rather than the 2 planks we had on the field.

Poor coaching, half fit players, out of form players, useless players but my comments addressed the team on the pitch yesterday. Driving back we had to listen to talksport regularly wanking over their first goal as if one of the world's best midfielders had beaten a couple of world class cbs rather than the 2 planks we had on the field.
You could have turned the radio off or switched stations.

It’s depressing isn’t it. We have all done this enough to know the difference between when we are riding the crest of a wave, when the wave breaks, and when the trough is inevitable. If we are honest we know how this one ends.
You sound like Rodgers. **** “finding our place” there are 11 men on that field and if they are well coached, keep fit and play well they can win.
We didn’t win the prem in 2016 with the world’s best players and we didn’t fluke it.

You sound like Rodgers. **** “finding our place” there are 11 men on that field and if they are well coached, keep fit and play well they can win.
We didn’t win the prem in 2016 with the world’s best players and we didn’t fluke it.
I think you have arrived at a conclusion that I didn’t intend. My meaning was that this ends with Rodgers getting the sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669