Director Of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Fan

Despite the fact we've in the relegation zone and looking crap sacking CL might not be the best of ideas. For a start changing the manager may not have the required result, and when a new manager comes in they have to learn the team etc. Bacically your looking at a few weeks before the manager is properly setteled in. Add that to the fact theres no one out there and we would have to pay CL and his backroom staff off im starting to think we could have better options.

For example why not bring in a director of football? We all know that CL has a team that are more than capable of beating anyone in this leauge (and some above) but what CL seems to be unable to do is motivate the players. If we could bring someone in to show CL where hes going wrong and to show him how to motivate the players then we could have a simple soulition to our problem.

Also the fact that someone was watching CL might help too because it in turn would put him under more pressure and get him more fired up, which will hopefully filter through to the players.

CL said he wouldn't work with a director of football, the reason given for Bassett going I believe?

Bobby Smith said:
CL said he wouldn't work with a director of football, the reason given for Bassett going I believe?
as far as i know, this is true.

i dont think it is the fact that cl doesnt know how to motivate the players I think its the fact that, that is not the way he manages. It may work for some teams but IMO it isnt working for us.

i think we're better off keeping levein with continuity IMO being important and i like a lot of the more long term structural things hes done - lowering wage bill, bringing in young players etc

i think having a director of football would be good - remember when robson asked terry venables to come and help him out at middlesborough i think a similar sort of thing could help levein - get someone in to help guide us to safety and show levein the ropes in terms of english football

personally motivation techniques may come "cheaply" from someone out the army possibly, Just need someone to kick em up the arse and instill fear or something into them to strive better performances. Thats what my local team did for us..long time ago

it may work but craig doesnt strike me as the kind of guy who will accept the idea if offered to him, I have yet to hear him take any blame for a defeat this season.

Country Fox said:
i think we're better off keeping levein with continuity IMO being important and i like a lot of the more long term structural things hes done - lowering wage bill, bringing in young players etc

i think having a director of football would be good - remember when robson asked terry venables to come and help him out at middlesborough i think a similar sort of thing could help levein - get someone in to help guide us to safety and show levein the ropes in terms of english football

I'd sooner have a team of overpaid geriatrics and be in 10th position than have a young, cheap squad floundering in the relegation zone

Fox Fan said:
... why not bring in a director of football?
Bobby Smith said:
CL said he wouldn't work with a director of football
Country Fox said:

It strikes me that CL has many of the qualities that are needed in a Diretor of Football. There isn't much doubt that he has fulfilled the stated aims of the board that appointed him. There isn't much argument that he has brought a decent squad together. The problem is that he can't get them playing. Perhaps the answer is to keep CL for what he is good at - and to appoint somebody *under* him to give the players some shit. In other words, CL to DoF and appoint a new coach?

bocadillo said:
It strikes me that CL has many of the qualities that are needed in a Diretor of Football. There isn't much doubt that he has fulfilled the stated aims of the board that appointed him. There isn't much argument that he has brought a decent squad together. The problem is that he can't get them playing. Perhaps the answer is to keep CL for what he is good at - and to appoint somebody *under* him to give the players some shit. In other words, CL to DoF and appoint a new coach?

Its a great idea but doubt he would agree.

beighton155 said:
I'd sooner have a team of overpaid geriatrics and be in 10th position than have a young, cheap squad floundering in the relegation zone

A bunch of overpaid geriatrics will always be on the decline.

bocadillo said:

Just what I was thinking.

bocadillo said:
A bunch of overpaid geriatrics will always be on the decline.

we are not on the up at the moment though.

Feriol said:
we are not on the up at the moment though.

That depends on your terms of reference - and don't reply that points on the table are the only things that are important, because we both know that is not so.

bocadillo said:
That depends on your terms of reference - and don't reply that points on the table are the only things that are important, because we both know that is not so.

Might not be the ONLY thing that's important but it is THE MOST important thing.

bocadillo said:

its the only thing that will be important come the end of the season

bocadillo said:

Football clubs are judged by their posistion in the league. We have a younger squad, but they are not making much progress at the moment, the fact that many people on here believe we have a squad with a lot of ability, would indicate we must be going backward, they aren't learning from their mistakes and developing.

Duzza said:
Might not be the ONLY thing that's important but it is THE MOST important thing.

So, in retrospect, what would you say about the club's standing on the evening of 1st October 2000? Were we or were we not in a healthy position that evening?

bocadillo said:
So, in retrospect, what would you say about the club's standing on the evening of 1st October 2000? Were we or were we not in a healthy position that evening?

forgive me for not checking, was that when we were top of the premier?

Feriol said:
forgive me for not checking, was that when we were top of the premier?

That was the evening I had in mind. Yes, we were top of the Prem but anybody who thought that points were the most important thing was deluding himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566