Distance Learning/Degree Courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

enderby fox

Just wondered if anyone had any experiance of distance learning to earn a degree.

My one regret in life is not going to university and getting a degree in a subject and as i get older, teaching in schools is appealing more and more.

However without a degree and not being able to give up work as i need an income, i am reduced to looking at distance learning courses.

I am interested in History as a degree course but am open to other courses such as Maths, jounalism or Leisure and Tourism etc

I did my first year of A-Levels which were called AS Levels (not sure if they are still called that) but left after my first year. I have AS Levels in Media Studies, English Language and General Studies and a 1st year GNVQ in leisure and Tourism.

Can anyone suggest any ideas of where to look or share any experiances of distance learning. I'm 25 now and am thinking if i can get a degree within 5-6 years then i'll still have a good shot at becoming a teacher.

I am interested in Maths

I have AS Levels in Media Studies, English Language and General Studies and a 1st year GNVQ in leisure and Tourism.

erm....you're thinking about doing a maths degree with no Maths A level?

Plenty of places do distance learning these days, so look around I'm sure you'll find some. Only thing is they usually take twice as long (well i know they for what im studying) so you got to be prepared to be in it for the long haul

Have look at the OU. I know of several people who have been succesful through them.

Have look at the OU. I know of several people who have been succesful through them.

My friend did an OU maths degree (finishing 2 years ago) after 15 years working in marketing. She had done A levels but then went straight into work.

She's now a maths teacher in a Leics school.

It's a lot of hard work and commitment doing the assignments and courses in the evenings / weekends/ holidays whilst holding down a full-time job though.

My friend did an OU maths degree (finishing 2 years ago) after 15 years working in marketing. She had done A levels but then went straight into work.

It's a lot of hard work and commitment doing the assignments and courses in the evenings / weekends/ holidays whilst holding down a full-time job though.

I think that's going to be the same no matter where/how the course is done though.

Distance learning, unlike turning up at college/uni each day, requires a huge amount of commitment and self motivation, setting aside ring fenced time each day/week/weekend for study to the exclusion of all else can be extremely difficult, however the rewards can be well worth the effort. (It also requires a commitment of support from partner/family as well).

Last edited:

ah but can you she prove Pythagoras's Theorem on a napkin?

:)

i did CIMA (accountancy) for a year at evening classes

i had a long train ride which helped as i just sat and reread all the stuff

could have done all three years if i wasn't intensely bored by it all, passed first year though

If your aim is just to become a teacher, then the best bet may be a Bachelor of Education course, or there are some degrees that have 'qualified teacher status' - these let you do your teacher training and get your degree at the same time

There is also something called the Registered Teacher Programme, where you actually do your teacher training whilst employed by the school. You need something like an HND to do that, so that would be your first port of call

All you need is a couple of A levels to get on any of them them

I heard they are thinking of making the routes to teaching harder. Has anyone else heard this?

I heard something about them introducing a fitness test. Apparently they want to filter out any big hulks becoming teachers as they scare the kids.

:icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670