Dogs and the law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brauny Blue

Whilst sitting back basking after a glorious win yesterday, i received a phone call from Mrs BB, who promptly reeled off an horror story.

In the early evening my Mother-in-Law along with my 9yr old niece took the dog Tilly ( jack russell ) for its usual walk around the block.
My niece held the lead, and started on what is about a 10min walk.
After passing halfway suddenly a door opened and a ' staff ' came flying out. Without any provaction or teasing the staff went straight for Tilly. It sank its jaws into the back of Tillys neck causing into scream and squeal like never before.
The staff had a vice like grip on Tillys neck. The commotion caused attracted the attentions of 3 people. They tried to get the staff off Tilly but the dog was in for 'the kill'. The staff in all its ferocity did not concede despite the beatings of the 3 people. My mo-in-law eventually managed to prize the jaws off Tilly and eventually the staff was pulled away.
My niece was traumatized and deeply upset last night. My mo-in-law spent 4 hours down the infirmry as she was bitten by the staff in her attempts to save Tilly.
Tilly had to have emergency op at the vets to the deep wound (down to the bone). The vet said it was the worst place it could receive an injury.

In the aftermath of the event i would like to ask where would she stand on legal proceedings against the dog and its owners?
The mo-in-law believes that the staff should be put down. Although it went for Tilly it could just have easily gone for my neice. It behaved like an out of control monster.
The callout charge by the vets was £120. Thats not including the costs yet to be incurred for Tillys op and treatment.
Can these costs be passed on to the staffs owners ?
Does my mo-in-law have grounds for compensation for her own injuries?

All in all a very unpleasent incident.

Last edited:
Whilst sitting back basking after a glorious win yesterday, i received a phone call from Mrs BB, who promptly reeled off an horror story.

In the early evening my Mother-in-Law along with my 9yr old niece took the dog Tilly ( jack russell ) for its usual walk around the block.
My niece held the lead, and started on what is about a 10min walk.
After passing halfway suddenly a door opened and a ' staff ' came flying out. Without any provaction or teasing the staff went straight for Tilly. It sank its jaws into the back of Tillys neck causing into scream and squeal like never before.
The staff had a vice like grip on Tillys neck. The commotion caused attracted the attentions of 3 people. They tried to get the staff off Tilly but the dog was in for 'the kill'. The staff in all its ferocity did not concede despite the beatings of the 3 people. My mo-in-law eventually managed to prize the jaws off Tilly and eventually the staff was pulled away.
My niece was traumatized and deeply upset last night. My mo-in-law spent 4 hours down the infirmry as she was bitten by the staff in her attempts to save Tilly.
Tilly had to have emergency op at the vets to the deep wound (down to the bone). The vet said it was the worst place it could receive an injury.

In the aftermath of the event i would like to ask where would she stand on legal proceedings against the dog and its owners?
The mo-in-law believes that the staff should be put down. Although it went for Tilly it could just have easily gone for my neice. It behaved like an out of control monster.
The callout charge by the vets was £120. Thats not including the costs yet to be incurred for Tillys op and treatment.

Sorry to hear that BB.

Have you informed the police?

Report the incident to the Police. Your family should certainly be looking to the owners of the Staffy to pay the vet's bills and compensation for their injury, upset and inconvenience.

I am presuming that the owners of the Staffy would be insured against such things. Wouldn't they?

Sorry to hear that BB.

Have you informed the police?

Report the incident to the Police. Your family should certainly be looking to the owners of the Staffy to pay the vet's bills and compensation for their injury, upset and inconvenience.

I am presuming that the owners of the Staffy would be insured against such things. Wouldn't they?

The police are visiting my mo-in-law today. Initially when they were first contacted they didnt seem that interested and classed it as a ' civil case '

I would imagine reporting it to the RSPCA would at the very least get the dog put down, altough on principal I am against terminating a dog on grounds of viciousness, IMO the dog is acting in it's nature, the owners should be held fully responsible for not ensuring the safety of others around it.

Just heard that the bill as now gone up to over £400

I would imagine reporting it to the RSPCA would at the very least get the dog put down, altough on principal I am against terminating a dog on grounds of viciousness, IMO the dog is acting in it's nature, the owners should be held fully responsible for not ensuring the safety of others around it.

I understand what your saying but imo these breeds of dogs should not be allowed as pets. They have an unpredictable nature and are often in the hands of people that dont have the intelligence to train them properly.
Its like the must have accessory of the hoody from the estate, its goes with the image, and imo its an image thats everything wrong about todays society.

I understand what your saying but imo these breeds of dogs should not be allowed as pets. They have an unpredictable nature and are often in the hands of people that dont have the intelligence to train them properly.
Its like the must have accessory of the hoody from the estate, its goes with the image, and imo its an image thats everything wrong about todays society.

Agree completely, but it doesn't make it the fault of the dog, so to punish the dog is wrong. A lot of the pure breeds apparantly have inherent health problems anyway, so breeding them in the first place is cruel.

What happened to you happened in a very similar situation to my missus when she was a lot younger, when she gets home I'll ask her how they dealt with it, I believe they managed to get their vets bills paid. Did the owner of the dog come out?

Agree completely, but it doesn't make it the fault of the dog, so to punish the dog is wrong. A lot of the pure breeds apparantly have inherent health problems anyway, so breeding them in the first place is cruel.

What happened to you happened in a very similar situation to my missus when she was a lot younger, when she gets home I'll ask her how they dealt with it, I believe they managed to get their vets bills paid. Did the owner of the dog come out?

By all accounts i dont think there was even an apology.

BB,sorry to hear that .

The dog should be put down for biting a person and the owners should not be aloud to keep a dog ever again .

here are a few links to check out mate

http://www.accident-compensation-information.co.uk/html/dog_bite.html

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1991/ukpga_19910065_en_1

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/domestic/dogs.htm

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/928

hope they help mate .

Thanks Newts.

Early days of course, so we'll see how it develops.

The mo-in-law will be fine, when she has calmed down:)
I worry for my Niece and Tilly. Its a thing that could play on the mind of a young kid.
Tilly is back home this morning after staying overnight at the vets.
She is ignoring my mo-in-law, as if she blames her for what happened. It could be tricky when she goes out again, the vet said it will probaly make her very edgey.
It might sound a bit ott to folk on here, but i really feel that my mo-in-law should seek justice for this.

Did the owner of the dog come out?

If he had a little pink poodle would have been a better choice of pet.

Not sure the RSPCA would effect a 'put-down'. Some of them seem to value animals over human beings.

Sorry about your niece though, hope this unsavoury event doesn't play on her mind too much.

Thanks Newts.

Early days of course, so we'll see how it develops.

The mo-in-law will be fine, when she has calmed down:)
I worry for my Niece and Tilly. Its a thing that could play on the mind of a young kid.
Tilly is back home this morning after staying overnight at the vets.
She is ignoring my mo-in-law, as if she blames her for what happened. It could be tricky when she goes out again, the vet said it will probaly make her very edgey.
It might sound a bit ott to folk on here, but i really feel that my mo-in-law should seek justice for this.

Not to me it don't as a dog owner myself i would go mad if that had happend to us mate.

In my experience, the owners of these dogs seem to fit a certain stereotype. Granted, not all of them, but the majority.

I would kill the dog and the owners. It's not the dog's fault, but it will attack again and next time it could be a child.

If he had a little pink poodle would have been a better choice of pet.

Not sure the RSPCA would effect a 'put-down'. Some of them seem to value animals over human beings.

Sorry about your niece though, hope this unsavoury event doesn't play on her mind too much.

Are we superior then?

absolutely!

I'd still go round there with a spade and smash the feckers skull though

Thats effectively whay my mo-in-law said.

Anyway things are moving on at a pace.
The police have visited my mo-in-law, and they have admitted it was a much more serious incident than they were lead to believe through the initial phone call.
Not sure how it works but it is now classed as a category 2 incident.
The police are going to prosecute, the RSPCA are involved, the dog wardens, and Uncle Tom Cobley.
Mrs BB's phone is being used as she managed to take pictures of Tillys injuries. Not sure how they do that as its an older phone that does not seem to have a facility to download to a PC.
The police asked my mo-in-law what she would like the outcome to be, and she maintains that she wants the staff destroying.
The police have said that my 9yr old Niece will be asked to give evidence through a video link. Not a nice experience for a kid to go through.
To this present moment the owner has still made no attempt to apologize for the incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46