Download monitoring a reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billyjof

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19474829

I thought this was interesting.

When the Lance Armstrong drugs story broke it got me thinking, are some organisations logging download data for future when there will be an easier way of proving illegal downloading?

There would probably be a fair few people who might get a letter along the lines of "Pay us 100 quid and we'll keep you out of court!".

There would probably be a fair few people who might get a letter along the lines of "Pay us 100 quid and we'll keep you out of court!".

The indications are that the letters would be asking for rather more than "100 quid".

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19370862

Mr Tenenbaum was 16 years old when a letter was sent to his parents' home accusing him of illegal file-sharing.

He was asked to pay $5,250 (£3,319) for downloading seven songs. He claims he offered $500 (£316) which was all he could afford at the time, and it was declined.

Last edited:
It also says they are only logging that you are using torrents, not what you are downloading.

Exactly. Nothing 'iffy' at all about torrent clients if like me people are always downloading the latest Linux distro.

The indications are that the letters would be asking for rather more than "100 quid".

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19370862

I actually meant to write 1000, oh well encourages the debate.

It appears from stories like that of Joel Tenenbaum, threatening letters are written at random directly from major labels, perhaps to make an example. Should there be other organisations compiling data for future profit, there might larger consequences for your average download "thief".

I actually meant to write 1000, oh well encourages the debate.

It appears from stories like that of Joel Tenenbaum, threatening letters are written at random directly from major labels, perhaps to make an example. Should there be other organisations compiling data for future profit, there might larger consequences for your average download "thief".

I'm intrigued to see the outcome of the Bruce Willis vs iTunes case. Raises a good point.

Had a Ukash virus on my laptop recently saying just that.
Looked very official from the Police ecommerce unit. Even had my webcam looking at me!
Went through paragraphs of what I might have done.
Finishes off by saying pay £100 into ukash and we will unlock your pc within 1 - 72 hours.

If I'd been guilty of some of what they were suggesting, I'd expect a knock on the door, not gives a ton and we'll forget about it.
Can see how some would be doped by it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19474829

I thought this was interesting.

When the Lance Armstrong drugs story broke it got me thinking, are some organisations logging download data for future when there will be an easier way of proving illegal downloading?

All they've done is looked for popular torrents, joined the swarm and then logged the IP addresses of the other computers that are connected. Which is something that anybody can do.
There is pretty much **** all that they would be able to do with that information, now or at anytime in the future.

Anybody that is stupid enough to 'rent' their music from iTunes deserves to lose it

All they've done is looked for popular torrents, joined the swarm and then logged the IP addresses of the other computers that are connected..

Just wondering what IP address would be logged, your device or the router? I always assumed the latter?

Just wondering what IP address would be logged, your device or the router? I always assumed the latter?

Yep, it'd be the address of whatever device is connected to the Internet connection, not the individual PC

I weed myself a tad when I saw the ITunes story, they really do know how to milk the stupid of their money.

It made my decision to stick with an Android device seem even better.

The one regarding them owning everyones music collections, pwoper naughty.
Did this story involve Bruce Willis? If it did it's bollocks, as has been pointed out by the Viking turnip above

Hence my apprehensions as expressed in another thread!

Is that just a single other thread? It seems to me that you have been whingeing on about it whenever I opened any thread today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566