Dyslexia

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7828121.stm

No doubt he will be hounded out of his job for this but I agree with the guy!

Dyslexia is a fact - but it is still no excuse for poor teaching. My partner suffers from it - too old to have had it diagnosed at school and was allowed to 'bobble along' there. Lots of studying and learning as an adult has put at the top of her particular tree and she has made a success of life. But it can sometimes be very amusing trying to find out what the **** she is on about.

I've always thought that lexdysia was just a lame excuse for someone with poor reading/writing skills.

:icon_eek: You agree that its a fictional condition!!?? :081::081::081:

I believe that it has become an excuse for kids who struggle with spelling and writing.Rather then spend time helping the kid to learn they lable them dyslexic. It is an easy get out clause for the school and the kid.

I remember a couple of girls at university claiming they were dyslexic and gaining added time for coursework. Strangely it didnt stop them reading gossip magazines within half an hour.

Last edited:
I believe that it has become an excuse for kids who struggle with spelling and writing.Rather then spend time helping the kid to learn they lable them dyslexic. It is an easy get out clause for the school and the kid.

I remember a couple of girls at university claiming they were dyslexic and gaining added time for coursework. Strangely it didnt stop them reading gossip magazines within half an hour.

Some people may take advantage of this offer, but there are a lot of dyslexic people out there who do get really good grades and do do really well in life, and some of them have to work a damn sight harder than the average person. Its a typical British attitude to be judgemental in a negative sense and presume that just trying to help some people who find it harder than your average person by giving them extra time or extra help that the individual is just goign to waste that :icon_roll

The only thing i would agree with from the article is that sometimes it does get diagnosed a little too easily, especially on young children, but to say it flat out doesnt exist is just plain bizarre and ignorant

my ex had Dyscalculia, she didn't know her left from her right either..i kid you not

she had to hold up her index fingers and thumbs and do "L for left"

"shite at Maths" i called it

The point is that it should not be allowed to be used as an excuse either by the child or by the school. Kids who suffer from dyslexia are not unteachable; they just have to be taught differently.

Well it certainly exists and it is something that can cause the person involved and his or her family a lot of trouble and strife

Agreed, my wifes uncles son has it ,he 13 now and with the right drugs (from the doc's) he's leading a normal life.

Although it took 6 years to get to where he is now because they had to find the right drugs to help him .

I think he had around 20 different types (DRUGS)before they found the right one that suited him .

my ex had Dyscalculia, she didn't know her left from her right either..i kid you not

she had to hold up her index fingers and thumbs and do "L for left"

"shite at Maths" i called it

I can't tell my left from my right, although maths is piss-easy. I didn't do the 'L for left' thing but had a number of other ways of working it out - such as you drive on the left. That rule was well ****ed when we moved abroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566