Ear Wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
YV's advice is spot on, and you'll be advised to do that before any professional tries to remove the wax anyway.

Go to your nearest chemist and ask what the pharmacist recommends - there are lots of products available over the counter, but the ones we always recommend are Otex or the olive oil in a dropper bottle.

Have a read of this:

http://www.keyworthmedicalpractice.co.uk/ear syringing.htm

Last edited:
YV's advice is spot on, and you'll be advised to do that before any professional tries to remove the wax anyway.

Go to your nearest chemist and ask what the pharmacist recommends - there are lots of products available over the counter, but the ones we always recommend are Otex or the olive oil in a dropper bottle.

Have a read of this:

OH was given Cerumol not sure whether you can get it over the counter or prescription only????

Have a read of this:

Thanks for the link, like I said in the original post I have been using drops (cerumol (sp) and olive oil) for the last week and a half and my hearing has got progressively worse.
To start off with my ear would pop and I could hear fine for a couple of hours - now it's completely blocked.

Thanks for the link, like I said in the original post I have been using drops (cerumol (sp) and olive oil) for the last week and a half and my hearing has got progressively worse.
To start off with my ear would pop and I could hear fine for a couple of hours - now it's completely blocked.

That's because the wax is softening and finding it easier to drop down further into your ear. It's actually a sign that the treatment is working - all you have to do now is to persuade the softened wax to come out.

I always find that a chemist will have much more useful remedies than waiting an age for an appointment with your Doctor.

We're lucky enough to have a NHS walk in centre where I live, and they offer syringing as a matter of course, no appointment needed - as has been mentioned in a previous post is there one near you?

That's because the wax is softening and finding it easier to drop down further into your ear. It's actually a sign that the treatment is working - all you have to do now is to persuade the softened wax to come out.

Any tips on how to entice it out?

We're lucky enough to have a NHS walk in centre where I live, and they offer syringing as a matter of course, no appointment needed - as has been mentioned in a previous post is there one near you?

Like I mentioned previously I rang the one at LRI and was told they couldn't help - don't know if there are any more near by?

Any tips on how to entice it out?

I think I would be getting some warm water down there and with a warm face cloth and thumb over the ear, trying to create a bit of vacuum/suction. Anything to try to get it on the move. The fact that it is now blocking your ear suggests that you have managed to soften it and that it is now on the move.

when you're finished you can make a candle like Father Jack

Go to a health shop like Holland & Barrett and ask for Hopi ear candles. think you get two for about £7.

You'll need someone with you though when you use them.

They are hollow candles with a line on them which when lit draws the wax into the candle.

Now don't laugh!!

Lie on the sofa/bed/floor on your side and place the candle in your ear and light it, once it burns down to the line you can take the candle out and voila! you are unblocked!

Yes they do work, Ben used to have to have his ears syringed and he was in agony when they did it, so when we were told about these after sniggering about it we went and asked.
He needs to use them a couple of times a year.

In fact, lots of beauty parlours offer this as one of their treatments now, last about 20 mins.

Last edited:
Go to a health shop like Holland & Barrett and ask for Hopi ear candles. think you get two for about £7.

You'll need someone with you though when you use them.

They are hollow candles with a line on them which when lit draws the wax into the candle.

Now don't laugh!!

Lie on the sofa/bed/floor on your side and place the candle in your ear and light it, once it burns down to the line you can take the candle out and voila! you are unblocked!

Yes they do work, Ben used to have to have his ears syringed and he was in agony when they did it, so when we were told about these after sniggering about it we went and asked.
He needs to use them a couple of times a year.

In fact, lots of beauty parlours offer this as one of their treatments now, last about 20 mins.

They don't work.

They've worked when I've used them, judging by the amount of wax residue that was inside the candle and that I didn't feel like I'd just been underwater anymore. Only used them twice though.

Perhaps they don't work for everybody, I couldn't possibly say they do or don't, but everyone I know who has used them prefers them to the syringing.

BF said she's used them and they did :102::102:

I prefer to rely on proper scientific evidence.

People often think things work when they don't, maybe a placebo effect, or just chance that things got better around the same time as a nonsense "cure" was used.
A lot of people think homeopathy works, when it clearly doesn't. A lot of people think praying works, when it clearly doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669