End of season

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyn

Well what an excellent end to the season by County. As I said in another post, a lot of players have had very good first-class seasons.

The official site is reporting that Greg Smith and Jigur Naik have finished top of the batting and bowling averages :038:
http://www.leicestershireccc.co.uk/lc/News/Smith-and-Naik-are-top-performers!

Buck, Henderson, Hoggy, Taylor, Nixon and Du Toit have also overall had excellent seasons. Let's hope that the upheaval that is to ensue backroom does not change the momentum on the field and that we have some continuity with the addition of a few clever signings to strengthen the squad - particularly in the one day arena

Well clear in 4th place at the end of the season, and only Sussex won more. A few more batting bonus points at the start of the season could have made all the difference.

Points Table
Teams Mat Won Lost Tied Draw Aban Pts
Sussex 16 8 3 0 5 0 235
Worcs 16 7 4 0 5 0 208
Glamorgan 16 7 4 0 5 0 203
Leics 16 7 5 0 4 0 199
Gloucs 16 6 9 0 1 0 172
Northants 16 6 7 0 3 0 167
Surrey 16 4 6 0 6 0 159
Middlesex 16 4 7 0 5 0 155
Derbyshire 16 3 7 0 6 0 138

Whilst I prefer the 4 day game to T20 and Pro 40, the reality is that the overwhelming proportion of 'gate' money and associated revenue comes from the shorter formats of the game.

Unfortunately, the reality is that Leicestershire have been disastrous (especially at Grace Road) this season in T20 - and doing well in the Championship isn't ever going to do a lot of financial good except indirectly in terms of income from developing international players and directly if we happened (in the unforseeable future) to win the Championship i.e. Division 1 title (value £500,000 currently).

Consequently, improvement in T20 is financially essential and has to be a touch stone for player recruitment/ retention.

a good finish to the season, although i agree with Redditch the financial benfits all come form the shoter format of the game answe werefound wanting. Lets hope with all the turmoil there is something left to build on for next year.

on another note it was interesting that in the county champioship the two sides promoted season were relegated and the two sides who were relegated were promoted.

a good finish to the season, although i agree with Redditch the financial benfits all come form the shoter format of the game answe werefound wanting. Lets hope with all the turmoil there is something left to build on for next year.

on another note it was interesting that in the county champioship the two sides promoted season were relegated and the two sides who were relegated were promoted.

On your last bit, I have previously tended to under-rate the differences between the standards in Div 1 and Div 2. But now players seem to be taking it seriously in terms of looking at moves. The promotion/ relegation outcomes for this season seem to suggest that a gulf might be arising.

Whilst I prefer the 4 day game to T20 and Pro 40, the reality is that the overwhelming proportion of 'gate' money and associated revenue comes from the shorter formats of the game.

Unfortunately, the reality is that Leicestershire have been disastrous (especially at Grace Road) this season in T20 - and doing well in the Championship isn't ever going to do a lot of financial good except indirectly in terms of income from developing international players and directly if we happened (in the unforseeable future) to win the Championship i.e. Division 1 title (value £500,000 currently).

Consequently, improvement in T20 is financially essential and has to be a touch stone for player recruitment/ retention.

£500,000? Is that the prize money for winning the Division 1 championship?

I wonder how much it was back in '96 and '98? Can't have been anywhere near that?

Oh what days they were though back then. I remember partying with the squad back in '96 at Simpkins night club in town. What a night!

Don't know a great deal about county, but I do know we have great young player in Taylor. What are the dangers of him being poached like Broady was?

Don't know a great deal about county, but I do know we have great young player in Taylor. What are the dangers of him being poached like Broady was?

He signed for another couple of years at the end of last season.
It will no doubt come up again next year.

Bucky looking a great prospect, I used to smash him around down the deiu, then again he was about 9 and I was 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669