England vs South Africa Test Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billyjof

One of the most memorable tests to me as a kid was watching South Africa at the Oval in 94. Same summer as Silence of the Rams, and a rather forgettable Word Cup.

Gough and Daffy had saved us with some outlandish batting in our first innings, but perhaps of course the pivitol incident was Devon Malcolm getting hit on the head by first-ball bouncer from Fanie de Villiers. As a result of this, his second innings bowling especially his first few overs, were absolutely legendary, just fantastic to watch.

Nice piece here http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/12/the-spin-england-south-africa-1994 with some linked highlights.

Last edited:
English bowlers looked exposed on a flat pitch. Could have perhaps included Finn in the starting line up but not sure it would have made much of a difference. Bopara is a great cricketer but how many chances does he need? He doesn't seem to perform against world class bowling.

If we lose this it will be our usually stuborn middle order at fault.

Pleased for Taylor. He is a class act in all forms of the game and I think he can make the step up. Also the more he plays for England, the less he will play for Notts and as with Broad his transfer will be less of a kick in the teeth!

Taylor making his debut. Another test product of Leicestershire, at least we are doing something right.

Swann left our for Finn and an all seam attack. Not sure about that.

We've also put them in to bat. Another ton or Smith today I reckon.

Third Test - KP sorted. The selectors have put the game and sporting integrity before 'its all about winning'. I'm surprised and chuffed.

Third Test - KP sorted. The selectors have put the game and sporting integrity before 'its all about winning'. I'm surprised and chuffed.

It's hard to know what really has been going on. I'm sad to see him dropped from he team this way as he has produced some excellent exciting cricket for England over the years. I thougt is ego had calmed a bit but obviously not.

It's hard to know what really has been going on. I'm sad to see him dropped from he team this way as he has produced some excellent exciting cricket for England over the years. I thougt is ego had calmed a bit but obviously not.

I'm not sure it's entirely his ego but more his advisors/agents/managers giving him, in my opinion, bad advise.

So a six run lead after the first innings in the final test but South Africa making a solid start. I can't see us bowling them out for fewer than 350 again.

Chasing 351 to win, England were two down for six runs. Not looking good. South Africa have just played better than England in this series and deserve the number 1 ranking if they get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566