Enjoyable matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

I've been musing over how many games I've actually enjoyed over the last few seasons. It's not many.

We had a terrific run of performances and results in late 2019 until Man City and Liverpool smacked us in the mouth over Xmas.

Since then, I reckon I've genuinely found pleasure from us beating Villa 4-0 in March 2020, winning 5-2 at Man City in Sept 2020. the FA Cup Final in May 2021 and beating Liverpool 1-0 in Dec 2021.

That's four in almost three years. Okay, the FA Cup win is a special case that I'll never forget. It was fantastic to finally see us win it. Only diluted by the fact that I couldn't be there. But I've been strangely emotionless about most of our wins over this period. I just don't feel as invested as I used to. The Europa and Conference League games did nothing for me at all.

We had a year of not going to matches at all and yet I'm getting to games seconds before they begin and leaving before the end most times. It feels like duty to be there.

I fear that the PL win and the FA Cup have finished it for me forever. I can get angry at our current plight but it's nothing like the anger I should be feeling. I don't think I'm alone either. Where are the protests and the passion from our fans? Most of us seem to be taking it very calmly. Am I really that bothered about the prospect of us going down? I can't honestly say that I care that much.

Am I just an old git who knows that they've seen the best they'll ever see and so it's all feeling a bit pointless now?

I've been musing over how many games I've actually enjoyed over the last few seasons. It's not many.

We had a terrific run of performances and results in late 2019 until Man City and Liverpool smacked us in the mouth over Xmas.

Since then, I reckon I've genuinely found pleasure from us beating Villa 4-0 in March 2020, winning 5-2 at Man City in Sept 2020. the FA Cup Final in May 2021 and beating Liverpool 1-0 in Dec 2021.

That's four in almost three years. Okay, the FA Cup win is a special case that I'll never forget. It was fantastic to finally see us win it. Only diluted by the fact that I couldn't be there. But I've been strangely emotionless about most of our wins over this period. I just don't feel as invested as I used to. The Europa and Conference League games did nothing for me at all.

We had a year of not going to matches at all and yet I'm getting to games seconds before they begin and leaving before the end most times. It feels like duty to be there.

I fear that the PL win and the FA Cup have finished it for me forever. I can get angry at our current plight but it's nothing like the anger I should be feeling. I don't think I'm alone either. Where are the protests and the passion from our fans? Most of us seem to be taking it very calmly. Am I really that bothered about the prospect of us going down? I can't honestly say that I care that much.

Am I just an old git who knows that they've seen the best they'll ever see and so it's all feeling a bit pointless now?
I’m there with you on the apathy. It’s football, all of it. It’s just a bit shit now isn’t it? The uniformity, the homogeneity, the ubiquity. Not to mention the corruption and filth in the game.

Having only missed a handful of home games in 20 years I completely lost the desire to go a couple of years ago.

Off the top of my head the last game I remember really enjoying live was beating Arsenal 2-0 in 2019. The atmosphere, the game and the goals were electric.

Definitely elements of obligation and duty that get me there these days, rather than a genuine buzz of anticipation and excitement

Thought it was just an age thing, but my boys are worse than me - they’ve ducked a few over the last twelve months and I’ve often sat there feeling jealous to **** that I didn’t follow their example

Yep, perhaps when you achieve the unachievable, everything that comes after is an anti climax?

I’m not an old git but I feel exactly the same. To be honest it’s not just the last couple of seasons…for me it stretches back to the Premier League win. Nothing will ever be as good as that. Nothing.

It's getting to the point when home games are live on TV I prefer to stay at home and watch, my Dad needs very little encouragement to not go, I'll go to the Forest game but if its rubbish and we lose I can see me missing alot more home games, something inside me has gone, a combination of negative football a manager that is pig headed, VAR, cost and the sterilisation of the game, plus all the oil money coming in and the laughable way these clubs circumvent financial fair play rules, while the media suck up to them all.
It's the same with international football I completely gave up with that a few years ago, I'll watch some of the world cup games but I really don't care how England get on.

I’m there with you on the apathy. It’s football, all of it. It’s just a bit shit now isn’t it? The uniformity, the homogeneity, the ubiquity. Not to mention the corruption and filth in the game.

Yeah. I hardly ever watch Match of the Day nowadays and really can't be arsed with the fakery of Sky. I gave up watching international football years ago.

So it's not just Leicester is it. Maybe it's the money that's killing it for me.

I do actually resent the money we pay them all. It's obscene. Part of me feels a financial collapse might revitalise us. Disconnect the overrated wankers from the club. Things like that absurd golf course at the training ground and the overblown pampering they receive.

They just play football. It's a very simple game and overcomplicating every aspect of it doesn't make it feel worth watching.

Yep definitely. The title win killed it for me.

We were ****ing superb in the front half of 2019. Absolutely purring.

And I’ll never forget Kaspers save in the cup win. Spine tingling.

I work in sport, have for 20 years. It’s getting harder and harder to keep people engaged.

It’s getting harder and harder to keep people engaged.
It’s interesting you say that. Do you think a more sanitised product means that characters that the kids seem to love like Mbappe and Haaland can do their thing and get the views and the shares and the actual games of football have just become a vehicle for that?

Personally I don’t know how anyone finds the energy mentally to watch stuff like MNF or follow TalkSport and such like. It seems so repetitive and focussed on so few people and incidents and yet it goes round and round and round forever and ever and infinity.

...product means that characters that the kids seem to love like Mbappe and Haaland can do their thing and get the views and the shares and the actual games of football have just become a vehicle for that?

It's all becoming click bait, much the same way politics over here has.

Yeah. I hardly ever watch Match of the Day nowadays and really can't be arsed with the fakery of Sky.
Sky in particular is painstaking. It’s effectively a “who can shout loudest” competition and at the moment they’re all being won by Micha Richards

We’ve all witnessed something special over the last decade, for which it will be difficult to compete.

What also doesn’t helps is that the club’s long-term policy of developing the stadium, outside income, will mean less money for transfers and leave us with 2 or 3 seasons of mid table mediocrity (at best). However, like when we moved stadium it is necessary…

It's interesting to read the posts above - I've been feeling that football ain't what it used to be, not for the better. There's obviously plenty of people buying into the modern football world but a lot of people of my generation, and younger, are getting less interested in the game that we used to watch and love week in week out.

If you use the Pearson era a metric for when 'the last few seasons' began then my favourite live matches (without thinking too deeply) would be these:

• The 5-1 in over Scunthorpe in the 2009/10 season when Paul Gallagher scored a hat-trick. It was 4-0 at half-time and nobody knew what to talk about.
  • Beating Huddersfield 6-1 on New Year's Day of 2013 when Nugent and Wood looked like the striking pair of the century.
  • Somehow beating Man City 4-2 towards the end of the Ranieri era in December 2016 and witnessing Vardy's first hat-trick.
  • The 4-2 win over Manchester United last season.

For some reason I remember the two Pearson spells more vividly than any other era for Leicester, except the 2015/16 season of course.

So, is modern football worth bothering with any more?

Are we just pretending that this habit is still a habit?

So, is modern football worth bothering with any more?

Are we just pretending that this habit is still a habit?
There’s an emotional element that will always trump reason when it comes to supporting a historically pretty average club like Leicester City.

I cling on to the hope that it will get better, that somehow the game will tear itself in half and the ‘elite’ clubs start their own breakaway league while the other clubs start again with less money behind them.

It’s interesting you say that. Do you think a more sanitised product means that characters that the kids seem to love like Mbappe and Haaland can do their thing and get the views and the shares and the actual games of football have just become a vehicle for that?

Personally I don’t know how anyone finds the energy mentally to watch stuff like MNF or follow TalkSport and such like. It seems so repetitive and focussed on so few people and incidents and yet it goes round and round and round forever and ever and infinity.
Ultimately, it’s very very hard to compete for peoples attention now. We are awash with “content”. It’s a simple answer but I think the right one.

How do they compare to the dreadful post MON years? Removing the exuberance of youth, when I started going in the mid 80s it was awful football, but I enjoyed it because I was young and it was new and exciting in that way, but the football certainly wasn’t the focus then either?

Ultimately, it’s very very hard to compete for peoples attention now. We are awash with “content”. It’s a simple answer but I think the right one.
Do you think that if there was some kind of breakaway league it would have a different structure? Like shorter games, quarters, smaller leagues with no relegation etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363