Enjoyable matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think that if there was some kind of breakaway league it would have a different structure? Like shorter games, quarters, smaller leagues with no relegation etc?
Oh sorry. I thought we were talking about football. I'm obviously in the wrong place.
I'll go now.

Do you think that if there was some kind of breakaway league it would have a different structure? Like shorter games, quarters, smaller leagues with no relegation etc?
See LIV golf for the most recent example.

More money in players pocket, reduced schedule, “innovative” format. All without a broadcast partner (and the revenue that brings).

It’s blown a massive hole in golf, as evidenced by the International team at the Presidents Cup - could similarly impact all of the majors. Fans suffer, ultimately.

Breakaway leagues are increasingly something all leagues and governing bodies have to mitigate for.

See LIV golf for the most recent example.

More money in players pocket, reduced schedule, “innovative” format. All without a broadcast partner (and the revenue that brings).

It’s blown a massive hole in golf, as evidenced by the International team at the Presidents Cup - could similarly impact all of the majors. Fans suffer, ultimately.

Breakaway leagues are increasingly something all leagues and governing bodies have to mitigate for.
I’d happily let them go. I wouldn’t let them stay in the Premier League at the same time though.

How do they compare to the dreadful post MON years? Removing the exuberance of youth, when I started going in the mid 80s it was awful football, but I enjoyed it because I was young and it was new and exciting in that way, but the football certainly wasn’t the focus then either?

The emotional attachment is gone for me I think. From Jock Wallace onwards, I've cared irrespective of our fortunes. In fact, often the hard times are the most engaging as a supporter. The abusive songs, the protests, the disputes between fans, etc. Where are they?

That's why I'm so confused now. We're shit and I'm not really bothered. It's what led me to try to quantity the games I've enjoyed over the last few years.

The emotional attachment is gone for me I think. From Jock Wallace onwards, I've cared irrespective of our fortunes. In fact, often the hard times are the most engaging as a supporter. The abusive songs, the protests, the disputes between fans, etc. Where are they?

That's why I'm so confused now. We're shit and I'm not really bothered. It's what led me to try to quantity the games I've enjoyed over the last few years.
I could list a few more games than you have, but I certainly appreciate where you're coming from.

The cliché that the game has moved on to such a point that there is little connection between the players and the fans is probably the biggest one, for me.

I’d happily let them go. I wouldn’t let them stay in the Premier League at the same time though.
Exactly what the PGA Tour is doing, but they need alignment from the other Majors for that to really hurt.

In footballing terms if a super league was created - FIFA and UEFA would likely ban the players involved from competing in the World Cup and Euros, FA the FA Cup, etc etc - which would be a bit shit.

Again, it's the fans being punished, really.

Sanitisation. You as a fan are expected to sit quietly and accept whatever the result might be.
You’re being entertained and surely you wouldn’t want more than that?

Plus being in the premier league also means you get to see Pep in his jumper once a year. If you want more you’re obviously just spoilt.

I wonder if the hype machine that is football business has killed the golden goose, and we're just beginning to smell the corpse. When I got into watching football following your local team was part of an expression of who you are, with families going together, often through several generations, with local business sponsors' support through to the emergence of local lads in the team showing the entire health of the town where supporters came from.

It's no longer possible for most families to get involved - both due the price and availability of tickets. The fans in the stadium are thought of as simple accessories to the the televised experience to be marketed elsewhere, so their views are neither sought or paid heed to if they do make a noise. Sponsors are international firms more interested in cleansing their reputations, whether they're sullied by backing murderous regimes or simply the manufacture of misery through gambling either on sports or currency fluctuations. While we're been lucky at Leicester to see a few players emerging from the youth team, most new players come in from all around the world with no connection to the city or the club, and it soon shows. The local players that do make a mark leave to clubs with deeper-pocketed backers, very few with a second thought or taking the chance to look back. And that's before I start on the upcoming World Cup.

Why would anyone watch this? Why would anyone bring up their kids to watch this? In short, the game's gone.

I think the style of the English game has changed too much for me. Obviously money etc has ****ed it. But purely on entertainment value it's gone to shit. I remember back in the days putting on La Liga as it was where all the big names were and wanted to check the hype. It was incredibly boring, slow, sideways shite with an odd screamer from someone gifted like Figo. The prem is much the same now but with seemingly fewer screamers.

The last game I got a book off the bookshelf. Sat down in a chair in our music room (wife has an enormous piano so one room is sacrificed to that - and my guitars), put some vinyl on and sat there enjoying the **** out of the music I was listening to not caring about the game. It was ****ing awesome. Then I thought, ‘oh I’ll just check how it went’, and immediately wished I hadn’t.

It isn’t the same, but then what is. I also think there is a fairly sizeable cloud of depression over the country at the moment. It’s hard to find the same contentment right now.

Happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want. **** football. It’s irrelevant. Stupid kids game anyway.

I wonder if the hype machine that is football business has killed the golden goose, and we're just beginning to smell the corpse. When I got into watching football following your local team was part of an expression of who you are, with families going together, often through several generations, with local business sponsors' support through to the emergence of local lads in the team showing the entire health of the town where supporters came from.

It's no longer possible for most families to get involved - both due the price and availability of tickets. The fans in the stadium are thought of as simple accessories to the the televised experience to be marketed elsewhere, so their views are neither sought or paid heed to if they do make a noise. Sponsors are international firms more interested in cleansing their reputations, whether they're sullied by backing murderous regimes or simply the manufacture of misery through gambling either on sports or currency fluctuations. While we're been lucky at Leicester to see a few players emerging from the youth team, most new players come in from all around the world with no connection to the city or the club, and it soon shows. The local players that do make a mark leave to clubs with deeper-pocketed backers, very few with a second thought or taking the chance to look back. And that's before I start on the upcoming World Cup.

Why would anyone watch this? Why would anyone bring up their kids to watch this? In short, the game's gone.
My favourite thing is how clubs and media hold up “superfans” as the ultimate (like that twat in a fox costume) then complain when they only get fans that get overzealous with it.
When I used to go with my Uncle we spent the two hours catching up, setting the world to rights and also watching the game.
The cost of tickets mean we don’t do it any more. £100 when you could do the same at home with a beer in hand. Ruined.

I hear you. It's akin to not caring about the England team. As I've said, I can't pinpoint when I stopped caring about the England team, but know that it happened. I'm not quite there with Leicester but fear it's only a matter of time. The phrase "dilution" is key, football has become a diluted substance for me. The injustices and increasing inequalities of recent times in the football world are causing me to become disillusioned with the whole thing. I would say though that it's a general problem across all aspects of life as we know it. We are all getting rinsed and washed on a cool cycle and unfortunately, without reform on an unimaginable (and unlikely) scale, we'll all be completely washed out very soon. What happens then, who the **** knows, but I would guess complete collapse and slow, painful, rebuild from the ground up. It's all about as depressing as a typical City Fan post.

I can't pinpoint when I stopped caring about the England team
15th May 1974
I think I was living in Coventry at the time and I'd gone down to Wembley for the Northern Ireland game. Peter Shilton and Keith Weller started, as did David Nish who had not long been a shagger; Franky Wortho came off the bench. Weller scored the only goal of the game... Now I've always hated the shaggers, even if not quite as much as the f****t lot, but it was an incident involving one of their players which finished me with England. Roy McFarland suffered an ACL injury which kept him out for almost two years. I've never understood how it is fair for a club to lose a player for that length of time because of having to release them to the national side. I suppose I had always been a club-before-country bloke but seeing him limp off left a real hole in my stomach and I've never really bothered about England since that date. And I still suffer from the embarrassment that it was a ****ing Derby player that caused it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363