Entertainment versus results

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's where I went on City free Saturdays to entertain myself and visit a new ground in the process.

You caught a train to Cambridge, then drove to Accrington? Where were you starting off from?

I would have thought the origins were back to and including the 60's at least wher most teams (if not all) lined up 4-4-2, in an 'orthadox' manner.

A lot of teams were still using WM back then. Brazil were playing 4-2-4. Would you like to see the return of 2-3-5?

I can't really see your argument on the right way to play though. Are you saying that keeping the FOOTball on the ground is the reverse of what should be happening? If this was the case then man would have evolved with a hinged neck.

You think evolution depends on the prevailing style of football?

I would say MOST coaches accept that attacking football is at least striving to be entertaining which is what i think is important.

No, most coaches would accept that attacking football is played with the intent of scoring goals.

Playing with a lone striker can obviously be effective but surely the nature of 5-4-1 is setting out to be more defensive and therefore less attractive, although i agree that good defending is an art in itself.

Nobody plays 5-4-1. Some teams set up defensively to prevent other, more technically skilled teams having their own way. Why is the spectacle of one team trying to avoid a one-sided game less attractive?

The bottom line is though that the nature of the game is to score goals and unless you are striving to do so, then the spectacle is certainly less attractive.

The scoring of those goals is hollow if the opposition is making little effort to prevent them. I suggest you watch some basketball :icon_wink

Pavarotti was asked why opera and football go so well together. His answer was that they are both about passion.
It is the passion that gets me and hundreds of thousands to sit outside on a freezing January day watching their team even though there may be football on TV.

There is entertainment at half time. All due respect to the Birch who has a difficult job but I get bored with little kids running round the edge of the pitch, hit the bar competitions and the interminable prize draw.

One of the pleasures of football is the partisanship. I may see arguments for Labour and for Conservatives, for Democrats and for Republicans, for Israel and for the Palestinians but for ninety minutes I know who "the good guys" are and I am totally prejudiced.

Pavarotti was asked why opera and football go so well together. His answer was that they are both about passion.
It is the passion that gets me and hundreds of thousands to sit outside on a freezing January day watching their team even though there may be football on TV.

There is entertainment at half time. All due respect to the Birch who has a difficult job but I get bored with little kids running round the edge of the pitch, hit the bar competitions and the interminable prize draw.

One of the pleasures of football is the partisanship. I may see arguments for Labour and for Conservatives, for Democrats and for Republicans, for Israel and for the Palestinians but for ninety minutes I know who "the good guys" are and I am totally prejudiced.

Not disagreeing with your general point David, but opera and football go well together??? Since when?
Why should anybody be interested in Luciano's opinion on football?

Since the BBC used Nessun Dorma as part of their 1990 world cup coverage

An incident that surely proved opera and football should keep a respectable distance from each other at all times

Same reason "Post-Punk New Wave" will be forever tied with football I suppose....

"Cuz what you're looking at is the master plan.."

:tumbleweed:

A lot of teams were still using WM back then. Brazil were playing 4-2-4. Would you like to see the return of 2-3-5?

You think evolution depends on the prevailing style of football?

No, most coaches would accept that attacking football is played with the intent of scoring goals.

Nobody plays 5-4-1. Some teams set up defensively to prevent other, more technically skilled teams having their own way. Why is the spectacle of one team trying to avoid a one-sided game less attractive?

The scoring of those goals is hollow if the opposition is making little effort to prevent them. I suggest you watch some basketball :icon_wink

Some very clever use of editing there BM to support your 'theory', me thinks. A+ :icon_wink

Some very clever use of editing there BM to support your 'theory', me thinks. A+ :icon_wink

1. I didn't edit anything you wrote - I even left in the spelling mistakes, which nearly killed me.
2. There is no theory, just a point of view.
3. Thanks, that's the first A+ I've had since I was 14. I don't get winked at much either, come to think of it.

Don't forget that playing 1 up front can also be a very attacking formation. i.e. the 4-2-3-1 that Arsenal have been playing in recent years. Or the 4-1-2-2-1 that Barcelona play nowadays That often gets crudely described as a 4-3-3.

Last edited:
1. I didn't edit anything you wrote - I even left in the spelling mistakes, which nearly killed me.
2. There is no theory, just a point of view.
3. Thanks, that's the first A+ I've had since I was 14. I don't get winked at much either, come to think of it.

1. The mistakes are minimal as far as i can see, but i am willing to apologise to you on the basis of it 'nearly killing you', but please don't feel restrained from this point onwards, i am always willing to learn from my betters. :icon_wink

2. I stand (well actually seated) corrected, many apologies for my incorrect terminology.

3. No problem. You are welcome to the wink. In fact - here's another one. :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69