European Super League - The end of Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaarev

European Revenue League would be a better name for it.

SwedeFox

The end of football as we know it perhaps, but I don't think these people necessarily view that as a counter-argument. The closed superleagues in North America seem to be doing alright.

Feriol

If it did happen, I don't think it would last long. It wouldn't be as competitive as the Champions League. With a knock out competition anything can happen, but in a league most of the teams (including all the English teams that would be involved) would be 'also rans'.

homer

Has been raised before, and will undoubtedly be raised again and again and again

Will never, ever happen

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Last edited:

M17TT C

If they do it, it would be the kiss of death for them.

It would possibly generate some interest in the beginning but it would soon fall second fiddle to the traditional leagues.

But I agree with homer - can't ever see it happening.

Feriol

Has been raised before, and will undoubtedly be raised again and again and again

Will never, ever happen

Probably just an empty threat to try and force more favorable terms.

Matt_B

I don't understand how it will ruin football? Let the ****ers go. One of the main things ruining the game nowadays is the huge influx of money to the top teams from the Champions League. That's more damaging IMO.

Lako42

Jut trying to scaremonger to the point of assuring certain **** clubs get automatic qualification for the Champions League.

At that point every other club in Europe should boycott the competition and force the greedy bastards hand.

David Gwilliam

The end of football as we know it perhaps, but I don't think these people necessarily view that as a counter-argument. The closed superleagues in North America seem to be doing alright.

Football as many of us knew it is already dead. Football as the young of today know it will die at some time in the future.

The game has not really changed. Anyone who watched a match sixty years ago would have no problem watching a game today - the only fundamental change has been the role of the goalkeeper.

Even the externals - overpaid "players corporate foreign owners and fancy stadiums do not apply if you are watching Barnet or Yeovil. Barnet and Yeovil are more typical of football clubs than Man U or Chelsea.

In three ways football is flourishing. Football now dominates the back pages during the cricket season; women's football has increased the number of people playing the game and TV coverage is superb.

Of course football will eventually die out. Gladiators, chariot racing and ratting flourished for centuries but eventually died out. Nothing lasts forever. However, the end seems very far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669