Ex-players and managers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ex-players (the thread nobody's been waiting for)

Darren Eadie: Life after football - depression and panic attacks

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...ll--depression-and-panic-attacks-7936382.html

Good read. Good on Scowcroft for getting into journalism. I think that is the important thing for footballers avoiding depression after they retire... finding a new path and something else they're good at.

When I interviewed Gary Lineker, he's as proud of his media career and acheivements since he's retired as he is of his footballing career. It has to play a big part. It must be a huge change going from Premier League football to nothing, and quickly disappearing from the spotlight.

Just think Lineker and Gazza used to play together in the very same Spurs and England teams for about 3 years. Now look at them. Lineker on the verge of naming his own price to be the lynchpin of the new BT Footy coverage and Gszza is a drunk who is killing himself slowly with booze and making himself a laughing stock with his attempts to get publicity. His latest one is to offer his services to Rangers due to the fact that they have so few players. Rangers might be desperate but not that desperate

Not a fan of Howard as a footballer at all and it was his time to move on but it does seem like it is another case of a personallity clash with the manager, given Howard's interview and other comments he has made.

Not saying that we should be getting rid of Pearson before the point gets taken to the extreme but it does seem that personallity clashes are a big draw back of Pearson's management style which he will have to work on if he is to succeed as much as we want him to.

Not a fan of Howard as a footballer at all and it was his time to move on but it does seem like it is another case of a personallity clash with the manager, given Howard's interview and other comments he has made.

Not sure its a personality clash. It appears to me Pearson let him know he wanted him out and Howard didn't like it, understandably enough.

Not saying that we should be getting rid of Pearson before the point gets taken to the extreme but it does seem that personallity clashes are a big draw back of Pearson's management style which he will have to work on if he is to succeed as much as we want him to.

How is it a personality clash? If it were such, then surely one of them must have changed their personality since the 2 years they worked together before?

Not sure its a personality clash. It appears to me Pearson let him know he wanted him out and Howard didn't like it, understandably enough.

Perhaps not personality clash, but poor man management would have been a better term.

I don't follow him on Twitter but one of the girls in my office is/was obcessed with him (for some reason??) and if you look back on his timeline from shortly after his release, you will find comments that could suggest that. I can't remember exactly as I was just shown them but it was along the lines of he had no chance of putting a city shirt back on with the current manager and his opening quote in the above article says he didn't leave on the best of terms so it would point to a fall out.

Obviously I do not know the exact ins and outs of this 'not leaving on the best of terms' but it's not the first time Pearson has fallen out with a player but it is the job of the manager to have a team based on a professional opinion and not a personal one. In this instance, it was the best thing for Howard to leave as he was long past being able to offer us anything but seemed worth taking note of another fall out as it seems to be a regular occurrence for whatever reason.

Don't think it's poor man management.
NP does what's best for the team.
He will upset some along the way.
SH is coming to the end of his career, yes he wanted to go out on loan, but NP believes that SH may well be needed at City as NP's attacking choices were limited.
Up until the last couple of games we were still in with an outside chance of the playoffs.
NP believed that SH's experience may well be of use in that run in.
Why should SH go on loan to appease him, surely we want the best for City as well?

I doubt whether Pearson has an alternative career path in human resources development but given his lack of attacking options he was right to keep Howard as short term insurance and right to move him out at the end of the season. Howard has fought against time but in the end it caught up with him as it does with everyone else....except Beckham of course who still thinks he should be captaining "my country" but based in LA and Michael Owen who is awaiting for a top club to kick fire his career.

NP didn't want him going out on loan because he thought he might be useful as a bit part player. Howard wanted to go on loan to play regularly.

Both seem acceptable and perfectly reasonable standpoints to me, they just clash with each other. Pearson being the manager obviously gets the final say.

I don't think it's any more than that.

Re: Steve Howard leaves

Aye, he's that fooking good he's gone to Hartlepool!

We'll remember the good times Steve, maybe you should and move on gracefully

Really, i don't remember too many. He did well for us in League 1 but and was ok coming off the bench but my overriding memory of him is of an ageing, immobile forward getting frustrated at not getting a decision off the ref. Unfair maybe, but it's definitely time for him to move on and i think Hartlepool is a good move for them and for him. I do wish him well there.

Really, i don't remember too many. He did well for us in League 1 but and was ok coming off the bench but my overriding memory of him is of an ageing, immobile forward getting frustrated at not getting a decision off the ref. Unfair maybe, but it's definitely time for him to move on and i think Hartlepool is a good move for them and for him. I do wish him well there.

That's why they are easy to remember ;)
Leeds at home is a starter for 10

Perhaps not personality clash, but poor man management would have been a better term.

I don't follow him on Twitter but one of the girls in my office is/was obcessed with him (for some reason??) and if you look back on his timeline from shortly after his release, you will find comments that could suggest that. I can't remember exactly as I was just shown them but it was along the lines of he had no chance of putting a city shirt back on with the current manager and his opening quote in the above article says he didn't leave on the best of terms so it would point to a fall out.

Obviously I do not know the exact ins and outs of this 'not leaving on the best of terms' but it's not the first time Pearson has fallen out with a player but it is the job of the manager to have a team based on a professional opinion and not a personal one. In this instance, it was the best thing for Howard to leave as he was long past being able to offer us anything but seemed worth taking note of another fall out as it seems to be a regular occurrence for whatever reason.

If he did it with a decent player, then I might be concerned. Still, no man is bigger than the team anyway, the sooner we bomb out wankers like that, the better.

That's why they are easy to remember ;)
Leeds at home is a starter for 10

Definitely the highlight. I quite liked him as a character in a way, a proper old fashioned centre forward and i always enjoyed the goals he did score of course. Always cheered him on as sub last season even when i knew he was no longer as effective and felt frustrated at his lack of mobility.

He doesn't know yet but that's in HK Dollars:icon_bigg

It could have been in pounds sterling and still wouldn't be as much as Sven would have been prepared to pay him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570