Pre Match FA Cup Leicester v Burton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bradley, Jelly, Scott, W Harrison, Plummer, King, Griffiths, Lee, J Harrison, Chisholm, Adam.

I wish.

1949 Cup Final team. Revie and a number of other key players were injured with Grimsby Town largely responsible - including career wrecking injury for keeper McGraw.

On the slightly paler matter of Burton - I think that Pearson is grounded enough to be cautious. You go from hero to zero in this game in a couple of days and Burton would be quite capable of beating a weak Leicester side. Not that I'm bothered because I think that the FA Cup is unimportant these days - but a bad result would not be good mood music.

If the stories from last year about Futacs wanting a move are true then playing him on Saturday would cup tie him and make him a less attractive prospect, same with Vardy so I can see Wood and Waggy starting up front.

I would go for a back 11 of Mike Whitlow and a top 8 of Arnar and Corica in 50/50 split.

Chisholm scored an equaliser to make it 2-2 only for a Linesman from Sutton Coldfield to raise his flag and give offside when City fans in line with the play reckon he was well onside.

were you there Motown?

If the stories from last year about Futacs wanting a move are true then playing him on Saturday would cup tie him and make him a less attractive prospect, same with Vardy so I can see Wood and Waggy starting up front.

Depends how important clubs interested in loans think the FA Cup is - Vardy linked with Tranmere & Preston who are both still in the comp, but are away at Championship clubs

If Whitbread had been fit I wouldn't have risked Morgan for this one

Last edited:
I take it you won't be bothering if we get Manure or Chelski in the 4th round then?

That is correct.

The competition has gone from being the highlight of the season to being a mere side show - as team selections by the top clubs will help to confirm.

The visit to Stamford Bridge was a grand day out for our supporters - but the result was never important in defining our season.

A couple of seasons ago I posted on here that I didn't think it would be very long before the competition lost its Saturday status. There has been increasing speculation over the past year or so about that happening.

The FA have already said that they want to move it to an evening kick off so that they can sell more tv advertising and make it a more saleable product for overseas tv.

I think you know I wasnt there.:icon_wink

My Dad* was there I seem to remember though. He always said that had Revie and Magraw played we would have won

* no longer with us.

I wasn't there - but I do have the match programme.

In fact i was a little kid and was taken to the fair on Blackbird Road that Saturday afternoon. The news swept around the fair ground that 'Chis' had equalised - only for the subsequent let fown of the 'goal' being disallowed.

Now i have seen a film of the game a number of timers - it used to be sometime shown on the projector at school when it was unfit to play rugby/ cricket. My long time ago impressions were that because of the very poor quality of the film and lack of any of the modern different angles or replays that it was dificult to tell if it was offside. My guess is that it was a marginal decision. Taking account that we were near the bottom of Division 2, without some of our best players (Revie being a class act and the reguklar captain at about 21 years), City put up a fine performance. That said we would be kidding ourselves not to acknowledge that Wolvers were the stronger side on the day.

We've got to win this so I think Pearson will go for a strongish team to begin with and then mix it up once the job is done and we are 3 or 5 up. If we lose to these again it could knock us back a bit as it would raise some questions about the team but I'm pretty confident it won't happen again. Team for me would be:

Logan
Moore Keane Morgan Schlupp
Gally King Drinkwater Dyer
Wood Waghorn

Nugent, Knocky & Marshall can come on if things go tits up again. Futacs, Zak & James to come on once the game is dead and burried and then Kasper to finish the bench off should anything happen to Logan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669