FA cup quarter final - Everton v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is some serious under-estimation of Wigan going on in this thread. They're a tidy little side and more than a match for us I'd wager.

Re: FA Cup quarter fianal - Everton v Leicester

I think you might be right, Wigan were professional and clinical and I imagine we would have been turned over with relative ease.

Wigan are a team and club who have managed to remain in the top division, we are a team and club who has failed regularly to even get there in the recent past.
Not much point in trying to get promoted then is there?

I once saw City play Everton in the 6th round. It was at Filbo though.

Last edited:
In the last 20 years two second tier teams have made the FA Cup Final.

2007/08 - Cardiff made the FA Cup Final (Finished 12th in the Championship - 6pts from the Play Offs. Including the league game before the Semi Final game they won 2 of the last 7 league games).

2003/04 - Millwall made the FA Cup Final (Finished 10th in the Championship - 4pts from the Play Offs. Including the league game before the Semi Final game they Won 1 of the last 9 league games).

Both these would suggest that making the FA Cup Final have a detrimental affect on the league performance.

Other 'smaller' teams that have made the FA Cup final include:

2010/11 - Stoke made the FA Cup Final (Including the league game before the Semi Final game they Won 2 of the last 7 league games).

2009/10 - Portsmouth made the FA Cup Final (relegated from Prem)

2007/08 - Portsmouth Won the FA Cup Final (Including the league game before the Semi Final game they Won 2 of the last 8 league games).

This again would suggest that success in the FA Cup does have an affect on league performance.

The priority has to be the league, NP's job will rely on us getting promotion, if not this season then definitely next season. The FA Cup is a distraction.

Can we stop going on about it now?

2007/08 - Cardiff made the FA Cup Final (Finished 12th in the Championship - 6pts from the Play Offs. Including the league game before the Semi Final game they won 2 of the last 7 league games).

2003/04 - Millwall made the FA Cup Final (Finished 10th in the Championship - 4pts from the Play Offs. Including the league game before the Semi Final game they Won 1 of the last 9 league games).

Both these would suggest that making the FA Cup Final have a detrimental affect on the league performance.

Other 'smaller' teams that have made the FA Cup final include:

2010/11 - Stoke made the FA Cup Final (Including the league game before the Semi Final game they Won 2 of the last 7 league games).

2009/10 - Portsmouth made the FA Cup Final (relegated from Prem)

2007/08 - Portsmouth Won the FA Cup Final (Including the league game before the Semi Final game they Won 2 of the last 8 league games).

This again would suggest that success in the FA Cup does have an affect on league performance.

The priority has to be the league, NP's job will rely on us getting promotion, if not this season then definitely next season. The FA Cup is a distraction.

Can we stop going on about it now?

:038:

2007/08 - Cardiff [...] won 2 of the last 7 league games).

2003/04 - Millwall [...] won 1 of the last 9 league games).

It might also suggest that they were able to raise their game for a special occasion but were unable to sustain their performance from match to match.

It also needs to be remembered that Millwall had a very easy route to the final, meeting two teams from Level 3 and one from the Conference on the way. The only time they met anybody who finished higher up the League ladder than they did was in the semi-final, when they met Sunderland who themselves could be said to be disadvantaged by their concentrating on their promotion hopes.

In the last 20 years two second tier teams have made the FA Cup Final. 2007/08 - Cardiff made the FA Cup Final (Finished 12th in the Championship - 6pts from the Play Offs. Including the league game before the Semi Final game they won 2 of the last 7 league games).2003/04 - Millwall made the FA Cup Final (Finished 10th in the Championship - 4pts from the Play Offs. Including the league game before the Semi Final game they Won 1 of the last 9 league games).Both these would suggest that making the FA Cup Final have a detrimental affect on the league performance. Other 'smaller' teams that have made the FA Cup final include:2010/11 - Stoke made the FA Cup Final (Including the league game before the Semi Final game they Won 2 of the last 7 league games).2009/10 - Portsmouth made the FA Cup Final (relegated from Prem)2007/08 - Portsmouth Won the FA Cup Final (Including the league game before the Semi Final game they Won 2 of the last 8 league games).This again would suggest that success in the FA Cup does have an affect on league performance.The priority has to be the league, NP's job will rely on us getting promotion, if not this season then definitely next season. The FA Cup is a distraction.Can we stop going on about it now?
Could you do this for the League Cup too?

Could you do this for the League Cup too?

As you asked so kindly...

In the last 20ish years 3 teams from outside the Premier League has made the League Cup Final:

2011/12 - Cardiff City made the League Cup Final (Went on to win 2 of the next 10 games). Finished 6th and lost to West Ham in the Play Offs.

2000/01 - Birmingham City made the League Cup Final (Went on to win 3 of the next 13 games). Finished 5th and lost to might PNE in the Play Offs. Before the League Cup Final they were 4th, 7 points behind with 3 games in hand.

1999/00 - Tranmere Rovers made the League Cup Final and lost to the much better side. (Went on to win 3 of the next 11 games).

Other smaller teams that have made the League Cup Final include:

2010/11 - Birmingham City WON the League Cup Final (Went on to win 2 of the next 13 games). Relegated from the Prem by a single point.

2005/06 - Wigan Athletic made the League Cup Final (Went on to win 3 of the next 11 games). Final position 10th in the Prem - A good start to the season had seen them accumulate 40pts before the League Cup Final.

Last edited:
We always got relegated when we got to the final/won it or were we a big club back then like we are today?

Last edited:
We always got relegated when we got to the final/won it or were we a big club back then like we are today?

We were a top 10 premier league club...some might say that it made us a big club. We certainly had a better squad then we do now and we definitely were not fighting for promotion. We just had mid-table obscurity to focus on...

Last edited:
Wigan finished 10th in your example which is probably their highest ever league finish.

I do agree in essence though that cups can be an un welcomed distraction but I think it is a lot more to do with motivating players like what Boc mentioned.

When is the draw for the semi finals? I'm hoping for Manure at Wemberley

Interesting analysis from Willlow. Much more of a correlation in both cups than I would have expected. Doesn't prove anything of course, but certainly a reasonable implication.

Regardless. we were shit home and away against Huddersfield, and I wouldn't have fancied our chances against Wigan. Much happier with two excellent league performances against Hudd and the 6 points to go with it.

Last edited:
I once saw City play Everton in the 6th round. It was at Filbo though.

I also saw some of this game. I was crushed against the front wall in the Kop and spent the afternoon in the St Johns Ambulance room.

Not Alan Woolletts finest hour, from what i remember

I also saw some of this game. I was crushed against the front wall in the Kop and spent the afternoon in the St Johns Ambulance room.

Not Alan Woolletts finest hour, from what i remember
This?
[video]http://bps.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00056000/00056659.mp4.m3u8[/video]

This?
[video]http://bps.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00056000/00056659.mp4.m3u8[/video]

thats the game, it was when we equalised that i was pinned to to the wall, and carried around the touch line on a stretcher. I was only just recovering from the black eye i received, from a flying elbow, when Frank Large scored in the previous round against Rotherham

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46