Fifteen years ago today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd been to City matches before but this was the first ''occasion" match I'd ever been to. Was a student in Cardiff, went on the National Express, got on the tube at Victoria full of Palace fans going Northbound singing "let's all laugh at Millwall" who had got relegated after being top at New Year. Amazing feeling when Claridge scored. National Express home, in time for the "Fun Factory" at the Students Union of which I remember little other than going to the University computer room at 3am to post on the City email list.

Tommy Wright really was my hero in 1991-92, and I didn't even get to see any games. Probably because he was the first player in 5 years to actually score goals regularly through a whole season.

How about this beauty!

That's our fitness coach scoring against us. Look at the away end after Wright's.

What a night that was...got absolutely soaked and even Neil Warnock praised our superb support that night,that must be a first.

Also around that time we took thousands up to Barnsley in the f.a cup when Joachim scored for me the best Leicester goal ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Season after.

Poster of that youtube video has tons from that era with City.

Took me an age to get over that match,never liked Barnsley in them days a certain diving git called David Currie played for them,also if i can recall did not Kevin Poole get injured but had to carry on as Leicester had used all the subs up.

Tommy Wright really was my hero in 1991-92, and I didn't even get to see any games. Probably because he was the first player in 5 years to actually score goals regularly through a whole season.

Mine too - As a 6/7 year old all I ever used to do was pretend I was Tommy Wright. I was very upset when he moved on to 'Boro.

He was on the bench for them at Filbert Street a year so later and I managed to get his autograph - still have it to this day!

On the subject of the Palace game - absolutely loved it but the Derby win remains my favourite.

How about this beauty!

That's our fitness coach scoring against us. Look at the away end after Wright's.

Bloody hell. 8,000 away fans for a Zenith cup match?! Granted it's the semi, but thats still bloody good going.

How about this beauty!

It's good to see Fitzpatrick's winner. It's the one time at a football match that I have gone to the toilet and missed a goal! Really good atmosphere that night.

A few weeks after Leicester were promoted I was in Lucerne talking to a Swiss gentleman who informed me he was a Chelsea fan. On hearing I supported Leicester he told me "Congratulations on your jammy promotion. I couldn't believe you got promotion after playing so badly in the second half of the season." I agreed with him. We were likely to go straight down. The team were not as good as at the start of the season and O'Neill was nowhere near as good as Mark McGhee.
This ranks with my "Vietnam will never be important. It's Berlin we need to worry about" and "Obama no chance in hell it will be Hillary against McCain" blunders.

It's good to see Fitzpatrick's winner. It's the one time at a football match that I have gone to the toilet and missed a goal! Really good atmosphere that night.

Went to both the zds game and oakwell, truly amazing support on both occasions. Remember being soaked at the zds game, seem to remember fine windy rain for the entire game. Oakwell was a real roller coaster of a game and we were very unlucky.

Fond memories indeed. Juliaaaaaaan's goal was sublime.

It was one of those moments that make the crap ones worth suffering, if that makes sense.

Exactly! It makes those barren years seem like nowt when you have a day like that.

Spot on! Taylor was great that day aswell. If it hadn't been for his injury nightmare I could have seen him playing a big part in the premier under O'Neill. Julian Watts was also a more than steady centre back and an inspired signing by O'Neill.

Also, one very clear memory from that day was Steve Walsh's tackle on Hopkin. Absolutely smashed him!

So many moments in that game made me certain it was ours.
Taylor and Izzet giving their midfield hell, Lenny and Parker running the show but for me, the save by Poole at the beginning of the second half. It looked a goal all the way. Was it a shot from George Ndah? Or am I thinking someone else?
Best pass from Walsh all game To muzzy to break into the box and win the peno, and i knew Parker would score, there was a feeling of inevitability about it as even with their early goal, we took the game by the scruff of the neck and dominated it throughout. I was never worried we wouldn't equalize, but when it got to the later stages of extra time I was mentally trying to work out who would be taking our penalties.

And then we got that free kick, and Spider came on, and wasn't it Julian Watts who flicked it on for Claridge to make that little bit of football magic?
Shinned it? Did he bollocks. He looked like he knew what he was doing from where I was stood, level with the peno area opposite the royal box.
I remember having a group of lads in front of us all wearing Fezs and how utterly mental they went when it felt like it took 10 minutes for everyone to realise the ball was in the back of the net. The most surreal moment I've ever been part of at a match.
I cried.
Then when Walshy lifted the Owl trophy I cried a bit more.
And then Lennon nicked me scarf as they walked round the pitch. Git!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670