Film fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
But nothing about Chavez?

I wonder why I'm not shocked.

I presume that you are not shocked because you read my post 23 which said.

A throwaway line on a passage about the problems of the American ratings system has taken on a life of its own
As this is very off thread I will make this my last post on this topic but will read with great interest any replies.

It would take a very long post for anybody to do justice to the politics of Mr Chavez on which I have no more than a laymans knowledge. It would also mean going off-topic which would be out of character for either of us.

It would take a very long post for anybody to do justice to the politics of Mr Chavez on which I have no more than a laymans knowledge. It would also mean going off-topic which would be out of character for either of us.

Chavez is one of the few political leaders anywhere on the planet that has popular support and a genuinely progressive attitude in the face of US meddlement and skullduggery, I doubt very much that this has been reported by The Mail or the like though

I know this has gone way off topic, but to bring it to some kind of discussion about what films we like, if you hadn't guessed by my username I'm a big fan of Italian horror films, particularly Dario Argento and Mario Bava. Love horror in general though. Also love Woody Allen and David Lynch too, because I am a wannabe intellectual ho like to show off how trendy he is to his friends.

Favourite film(s) of all-time would still have to be Romero's original living dead trilogy.

David, judging by your tastes I'd recommend watching August Underground's Mordum and Salo: or 120 Days of Sodom.

I know this has gone way off topic, but to bring it to some kind of discussion about what films we like...

Nice try Proffosaurus, but the thread is actually about the insidious way that the MPAA board of censors control the output of Hollywood films. When these types of sickening censors operate in countries like Russia, Iran or Somewherenothereistan, they are rightly decried as what they are, moral and political censors strangling creative output. Unfortunately, in the UK people are desperate to be told what is and what isn't acceptable to society.
David obviously doesn't want to address my point, so I'll say it again, **** the ratings system and **** the ratings board. **** them rigid. Their only purpose is one of censorship and that of control of output.

At least it's not as bad as it was in the Mary Whitehouse days.

I hate trying to find a decent copy of many horror films from the 70s and 80s which have been cut to pieces by the censor boards for things today that would be laughed at being cut out. I still can't believe my version of Re-Animator had the self-fellatio scene edited out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of Italian horror films, particularly Dario Argento and Mario Bava. Love horror in general though.

Off topic, but I'm a huge fan of 'ancient' horror 30s, 40s, 50s & 60s. Old shit basically. I know the original Mummy, Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman movies word for word

At least it's not as bad as it was in the Mary Whitehouse days.

I hate trying to find a decent copy of many horror films from the 70s and 80s which have been cut to pieces by the censor boards for things today that would be laughed at being cut out. I still can't believe my version of Re-Animator had the self-fellatio scene edited out.

This is the point Profficuticles, there are cinematic masterpeices that never see the light of day because of these sickening ****fests, and other movies that end up being cut and diluted to the point of nausea just to satisfy the morals of some unknown ****wit under the employ of the MPAA.
They are ****ing evil and are the natural enemy of any film fan

Off topic, but I'm a huge fan of 'ancient' horror 30s, 40s, 50s & 60s. Old shit basically. I know the original Mummy, Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman movies word for word

Yeah, love some of those too, big fan of the Christopher Lee Dracula films and James Whale's horror too. Even going further back, the original Nosferatu (the silent film) is one of my favourites too.

Just prefer the cheap gore horror of the 70s and 80s, more bloated, pretentious and cheesy, which are all good things of course.

Last edited:
I've taken this outside and would like to apologise to everyone here who was just out for a good night.

I'm sorry.

My friends are sorry.

Tomorrow we'll come back in fresh clothes and buy a bacon sandwich.

Sorry.

I've taken this outside and would like to apologise to everyone here who was just out for a good night.

I'm sorry.

My friends are sorry.

Tomorrow we'll come back in fresh clothes and buy a bacon sandwich.

Sorry.

****ing carnivores.

Nice try Proffosaurus, but the thread is actually about the insidious way that the MPAA board of censors control the output of Hollywood films. When these types of sickening censors operate in countries like Russia, Iran or Somewherenothereistan, they are rightly decried as what they are, moral and political censors strangling creative output. Unfortunately, in the UK people are desperate to be told what is and what isn't acceptable to society.
David obviously doesn't want to address my point, so I'll say it again, **** the ratings system and **** the ratings board. **** them rigid. Their only purpose is one of censorship and that of control of output.

I was about to say that you were off topic but looking back at the first post I see the thread is not about reviewing films as I thought - hence my comments on The Mechanic and Santa Vittorio. You are right that it is about ratings and thereby censorship.

Beighton sees the issue in terms of pro and anti gay. Certainly that is much more divisive in America than in Western Europe. I would have thought that race was the biggest censorship problem. The much loved Disney movie Song Of he South is banned in America.

Macky claims that "Unfortunately, in the UK people are desperate to be told what is and what isn't acceptable to society." i would guess that this is true of every society in every age. In 16th century Spain it is noticeable that ordinary people supported the Inquisition - attempts to moderate it came from the rulers not the ruled. In the Second World War the public were generally ahead of the government in demanding censorship.

The thread started over American ratings. It certainly seems to me that few Americans want a total lack of censorship. The right want to censor over sex and religion and the left want to censor over race and gender.

The idea that censorship in the West is as bad as in Iran is unworthy of you Macky. You must know what happens to those who oppose the government in Iran.

The idea that censorship today is worse than it used to be is just plain ridiculous - in 1550 Vienna was mainly Protestant but by 1600 there were no protestants alive in Vienna.
Censorship could reach points where it would be funny if it was not so tragic. In the reign of Edward IV William Walker owned a London inn called The Crown. He was over heard joking that his son was "The heir to the Crown". For that he was hung - that is real censorship.
In the 1630s William Prynne wrote that the idea of bishops was unChristian - for that he had his ears cut off. Cinema censors are rather more restrained.

Some questions.
Would you agree that a ratings system is useful even if it is only a guide so that people know Fritz the Cat is a very different cartoon from Tom and Jerry.?
Would you allow freedom of speech when that involved libel?
Would you allow someone to use their power to broadcast to make nasty attacks on people who have no way back. One example would be the Frankie Boyle verbal attack on swimmer Rebecca Adlington?

It is amazing how tolerant British governments became in the 20th century. In 1940 at the worst moment for Britain in the war there was a by-election in which the Communist candidate campaigned for Britain to make peace with Germany.
In what was Britains biggest crisis certainly since Napoleon Aneurin Bevan made brilliant speeches attacking the way Churchill was running the war. Nobody stopped Bevan making the speeches or stopped newspapers reporting them.

Macky claims that "Unfortunately, in the UK people are desperate to be told what is and what isn't acceptable to society." i would guess that this is true of every society in every age. In 16th century Spain it is noticeable that ordinary people supported the Inquisition - attempts to moderate it came from the rulers not the ruled. In the Second World War the public were generally ahead of the government in demanding censorship.

So you agree with me that most people are ignorant sheep that are desperate to be told how they should think and behave? None of that makes it acceptable to me and none of that makes organisations like the MPAA any less insidious.

The idea that censorship in the West is as bad as in Iran is unworthy of you Macky. You must know what happens to those who oppose the government in Iran.

I know what the media wants me to think about what happens in Iran. I also know that the US government is far more evil, dangerous and pernicious than any other nation state on the planet. A censorship committee is a censorship committee wherever it is in the world. It matters not if that committee is located in a fascist corporatocracy like the US, or a fascist theocracy like Iran, it is still a censorship committee performing the same function.

Would you agree that a ratings system is useful even if it is only a guide so that people know Fritz the Cat is a very different cartoon from Tom and Jerry.?

NO. Absolutely not.

Would you allow freedom of speech when that involved libel?

I think you're going off-topic again David, but to answer your question, yes I would. It isn't up to me to decide what is or isn't libellous.

Would you allow someone to use their power to broadcast to make nasty attacks on people who have no way back. One example would be the Frankie Boyle verbal attack on swimmer Rebecca Adlington?

Again, completely off-topic, but to answer this question you'd first need to detail for me what 'power' Frankie Boyle has; what 'nasty attack' are you referring to and why has this Rebecca Adlington no recourse?
Human beings are often thoughtless and nasty to each other, especially in the subjective opinion of other humans, but you can't legislate for hurt feelings.

_50925313_011095110-1.jpg

That's the rubbishist Nazi salute I've ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572