Film fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Mawsley for making my point.

Back to films.

I have just watched The Mechanic with Jason Statham and am disappointed. Statham is very good and is the one modern male star who looks credible in action scenes. The fight scenes are done very well. However, the dialogue is dreary and I could not find myself caring whatever happened to the people involved. In that way I thought the early version of "The Mechanic" with Charles Bronson was much better.

For me the best Jason Statham movie was "Transporter" where the three main characters were interesting, the dialogue witty and - for me the most important thing in a movie -I wanted to find out what happened next.

Sorry DG, I tried to let it go but I can't move on and not give a "what the..." at that. There are few actors I can think of with less talent than Statham. Kiera Knightly and Orlando Bloom spring to mind, but it's a close call.

Do you only ever read the bits you want to?

A throwaway line on a passage about the problems of the American ratings system has taken on a life of its own
As this is very off thread I will make this my last post on this topic but will read with great interest any replies.

No I read it all so that I can carefully choose which points to quote.

You must admit that your quote left itself open to my comment. A paper that has consistently sympathised with the most extreme left is just "left of centre" whereas the Mail which has strongly denounced the BNP is "rabid right". What would the Guardian which has consistently praised Castro and Chavez have to do to become the "rabid left".

There have been many more serious issues but for me the most personally offensive this year was the case of Charlie Gilmour. I was strongly in favour of the anti student fees demonstration. This was hi-jacked by a History student swinging from a flag on the Cenotaph (he said he did not know what it was - repeat that he is a History student) giving the right wing press the headline they wanted. As someone who knew people who had gone through hell in the war this touched a nerve. It was so inevitable that The Guardian should have articles supporting Charlie Gilmour. If I give this more words than it deserves it is because for me war memorials are a particularly sensitve nerve.

You say that The Guardian is good on environmental issues and I have heard the same from an environmental scientist. I am not qualified to judge but even I get the feeling that The Mail is silly on the environment.
On an issue where I can judge the Mail is far better than The Guardian on heritage matters.

A great deal depends on the readerrship. I would guess that more Guardian readers than Daily Mail are members of GreenPeace and Friends of the Earth. On the other hand I would guess that more Mail readers are members of the National Trust. Perhaps the answer is to read both newspapers.

Sorry DG, I tried to let it go but I can't move on and not give a "what the..." at that. There are few actors I can think of with less talent than Statham. Kiera Knightly and Orlando Bloom spring to mind, but it's a close call.

Sir Ralph Richardson and Dame Sybel Thorndyke were superb actors. I mean no disrepect to their memory when I say it would be hard to believe either of them "kicking ass".
Jason Statham plays action superbly as does a favourite actress Angelina Jolie in SALT("old men dream dreams") - I like Dame Judy Dench but how good is her Krav Maga .
I don't expect Jason Statham to play Shakespeare or Angelina Jolie to play Noel Coward.

I get irritated by the current wimpish set of male heroes whose only virtue is being slightly less sissy than Tom Cruise. There seem to be few successors to John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson and a personal favourite Lee Van Cleef. In real life Jason Statham for all I know may be a "luvvie" but on screen he gives the impression of being in the same mould as those four.

A throwaway line on a passage about the problems of the American ratings system has taken on a life of its own
As this is very off thread I will make this my last post on this topic but will read with great interest any replies.

No I read it all so that I can carefully choose which points to quote.

You must admit that your quote left itself open to my comment. A paper that has consistently sympathised with the most extreme left is just "left of centre" whereas the Mail which has strongly denounced the BNP is "rabid right". What would the Guardian which has consistently praised Castro and Chavez have to do to become the "rabid left"...

Forgive me, but I ran out of concentration at this point.

Care to explain why it's wrong to praise Chavez?

I'm sure it's not even DG's longest post.

I am frequently amazed by my brevity - though I doubt if anyone else is.

My vague impression is that a post in which I questioned Syd's understanding of 15th century politics was longer and even better.

Whatever its faults it has to be a better post than the one when I criticised Joe Mattock's performance against Dany Ngessan in a match in which Mattock did not actually play.

A comment on two old movies.

I recently enjoyed "The Secret Of Santa Vittoria" with Anthony Quinn and the magnificent Anna Magnani set in the kind iof Italian hill town that I love. Santa Vittorio is occupied by the Germans and thre basis pof the plot is keeping the Germans from finding the years wine on which the village economy depends. It is in many ways a light movie but it does have dark moments when uncomfortable compromises have to be made by the mayor. The main German character is an officer who is not a bad man and is uncomfortable with the SS methods - this makes a refreshing change.

The other old movie is not one I recomment. The Sound Of Music is too twee for my tastes but it does have one delicious scene. At the end the Von Trap family escape the Nazis by going up a mountain. The mountain in the film leads straight to Berchtesgaden and Hitler's Eagles Nest. It is the last route you would take to avoid Nazis.

'The revolution will not be televised' is a good watch, while we iz on a Chavez tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566