Financial Results 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
And of course 8th is pushing for Europe. How can you consider it not to be? We're 3 points off the last European place, so yes of course we're pushing for Europe - regardless of what you make of our performances or results.

Never said that Graz. Just venting frustration that our performances, in my opinion, have not been satisfactory for a team pushing for a European place. I believe we have the squad capable.

There of course have been exceptions, but I am challenging Susan Whelan's opinion that performances have been satisfactory.

Granted Cambers pointed out we have had a change in management and look to be adapting to a new 'improved' playing style. Should we play well and win again at Brighton I'll be back drinking with the cup half full brigade.

I'll point out that performances against Bournemouth and Stoke could have cost us a chance to qualify for Europe though. Burnley were on a run of dropping points and we failed to move past them.

The Cup game against Chelsea proved we are capable of being a top six team, we just seem to lower the standard against those out of the top six and it is bloody annoying. We definitely can not complain with the owners backing since they took over Arsenal are still catchable!

I think our position in the pecking order is clear enough.

We are just below the top six in terms of wealth and ambition. And we are just above Everton and West Ham that are both also attempting to bridge the gap.

So, 7th place is 'satisfactory'. No more, no less. Worse than that and we've under-achieved, better and we've over-achieved.

In historical terms, that takes some adjusting to. We've not been a club at that level since the 1960s. However, the owners investment, several years of excellent recruitment, and our exceptional achievements, have led to us being here. If you don't adjust your ambitions as circumstances change, you go backwards.

We must continue to invest off the pitch. I welcome the training ground plans. I'm disappointed with the chronic lack of progress in terms of stadium expansion though.

On the pitch, we must continue to out invest those clubs below us. We must be ambitious and demanding or we will start to slide back into the pack of average teams playing 'relegation bingo' in the bottom half of the league.

A good measure is how we've performed against the top six this season. One win, two draws and seven defeats this season so far. That's well off the pace. We should be much more competitive in those matches.

The other disappointing fact is that we're closer in points to West Brom who are adrift at the bottom, than we are to Spurs in 4th place.

60 points is about the level we should be reaching over the season. Unless we finish with a very strong run, I don't see this as anything other than a wasted and disappointing season.

Carpe diem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366