Football Fans are Idiots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical Guardianist rubbish, the civil servants that read that crap wouldnt understand would they.

I tend to agree with the majority of the article.
It's journo-ed up a bit but passion is idiotic and football is about passion.

Last edited:
The article is about us allowing ourselves to be taken for granted and others taking us for granted. I am not sure that kind of relationship will endure. ;)

I think the journalist has a few good points, but what he has done is pick out all the negatives of football, what this journo fails to mention is the commaraderie amongst fans, the anticipation and excitement of matchday, the euphoric feelings when Claridge hit the winner at wembley in the play off final, or his winner at Hillsborough in the League Cup Final or the ecstasy of automatic promotion after the dramas of administration.

It is easy to find fault in football, and yes it is a fooking expensive pastime but the returns on the time and money spent supporting your club can often be repaid by one victory against your local rivals, or a last gasp winner at Wembley or winning promotion against all the odds.

Yes football can be cruel and it can bleed you dry, and maybe we are idiots but IMO there is no better way to spend my money and time and no better way of being an idiot - football is worth it all.

Hazzman said:
That article is a bit like the film version of Fever Pitch.
Some women/left sided twat cant understand the passion of Football.

I think he understands the passion. But the passion is exactly the reason why we allow ourselves to be ripped off and taken advantage of.

The problem is not enough people can be bothered to do something about it, they just act like idiots by not questioning the club's pricing, merchandising etc, they just blindly pay what's asked.

There are some bits we thought we should extract

"The trouble is, there are just seven clubs in the country owned by supporters' trusts - while only 23 trusts have elected directors on the board. Mutual trusts need to become the norm, not the exception, and that needs fans to get stuck in."

- Does this help any more City fans on here understand what we are here for?

"Another problem is that supporters remain stunningly insular. When it's your club being dragged over the coals, you fight tooth and nail. When it's the club up the road, you merely shrug your shoulders. Most fans were rightly appalled by how the FA allowed Wimbledon move to Milton Keynes - but how many protested?"

- A number of City fans didn't like our stance over boycotting a pre-season friendly, it was our way of making a stand

I think this guy is right and it's a brilliant article - ok not so much about football fans are idiots, but he's focusing on the trouble with football at the moment.

We, as fans have got to wake up and smell the coffee. Football is in danger of turning into a corporate industry in the style of the NFL. There is no promotion or relegation there so that every game is a huge money spinner for the directors and television companies. Lets face it - SKY will breathe a huge sigh of relief when Wigan get relegated - I mean would you rush out to subscribe to watch Wigan against Charlton?

And don't say a promotion or relegation ban will never happen. Would the New Man United directors vote against this, bearing in mind their debts?

Do you remember how the yankee TV companies during the world cup over there, wanted 4 quarters of 20 minutes to allow for more advertising along with bigger goals for more 'excitement.'

You notice now that the referee can't blow for kick off until the TV director has given the ok.

Mark my words - the future of football is at stake. And it's down to us to make a noise about it!

Brilliant article.

It is about time that we as football fans started to reclaim "our beautiful game" and stop those running it from putting their own self interests first.

Football will die unless it becomes a sport again where all clubs have the ability to achieve everything in the game.

I think he makes a lot of good points, especially about how the Premiership is becoming less and less competitive, and it really is a shame. Money is slowly killing football I think, and with Roman at Chelsea, it's sped up the process slightly. I mean, can anyone really see anyone other than Chelsea winning the league this season?
I don't like all these big money takeovers at all. West Ham are going to be bought out, and apparently the new owner if/when he does takeover will give Alan Pardew £100m to spend!

One thing I'm suprised he didn't mentioned is the new stadiums. They are one of the things that annoy me most. I hate all these generic new stadiums. They're all the same practically, just with different logos. The old grounds had character and were different from each other. If you look at pictures of old stadiums then you could probably guess who it belonged to from the way it looked. With the new stadiums, from inside at least, the only way to tell is from the logos on the seats.
The Walkers and the Madejski are the only ones I've been inside, but I don't think there's much difference. I'd much rather still be at Filbert Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669