Football League Young Player of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profondo Rosso

Last edited:
I do rate Hughes as a player. Haven't seen him enough to say whether or not he's been consistently better than Moore, but I expected him to win this before a ball had been kicked this season.

I do rate Hughes as a player. Haven't seen him enough to say whether or not he's been consistently better than Moore, but I expected him to win this before a ball had been kicked this season.

Whenever I've seen him he's been the typical English overrated youngster. Everyone raves about him because he's half decent and English because we don't produce many players of genuine quality these days. The likes of Tom Ince and Nathan Redmond are streets ahead of Hughes IMO.

Hughes will never make a top player as he lacks the required physicality and he does not have a good enough engine. Sure he picks a very good pass and has excellent ball retention but when we played Derby, Drinky and James completely dominated him.

Hughes is a tidy player and that's about it really. Nothing special but not crap, just does a job nicely and sums England up when we get excited about a player who has the potential to be a poor man's Tom Cleverly.

Works well in a 3 man midfield where he just has just get the ball and keep it moving but doesn't offer much defensively or attacking and far too lightweight to play in a 2 man midfield.

Meh.

Last edited:
Can't help but feel you lot don't like him cuz he plays for the sheep

3 goals and 4 assists in 34 appearances is hardly earth shattering though is it? From a supposedly creative attacking midfielder.

Compare that to someone like Nugent who has 15 goals and 12 assists in the same number of matches. Or even Knockaert with 4 goals and 5 assists from 33 games.

From what I've seen of him, he looks class in possession of the ball. But he's not the best young player in the league because he's not really delivered anything much as yet. It's all 'potential' rather than 'actual'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669