Football Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwedeFox

Ok.

I have £3500 or so to spend on a trip next season (not necessarily everything at once). I went to England 3 times this season (the one that just ended), and whilst I always enjoy it and it's always great to see Leicester, I'd like to see something new.
So where am I going?

So far I've come up with these:

Istanbul.
Fenerbahce v Galatasaray (or even Besiktas), I've heard that's a good one.

Belgrade.
This is the one I'm looking into the most right now, Red Star v Partizan, yummy.

Outside Europe is ok, the one I immediately think of is obviously River Plate v Boca Juniors but that feels a bit clichéd TBH.

Any suggestions? Hazzman...?

You have a lot of scope. What I'd suggest is that you catch one of the early weeks in the season where teams will have their league games plus the option of an additional midweek game or European qualifer games. Personally, if you going either Istanbul or Belgrade...what about Dinamo v Hajduk in Croatia?

If you are looking for something safe and simple, do Belgium, Holland or Germany.
If you are looking for something where you'll have no problems getting tickets, try Portugal or France.
If you are wishing to go a bit off the track, try Eastern Europe.

Although, there's some misinfo on this site, it's highly useful in the main - http://www.budgetairlinefootball.co.uk/

Last edited:
You have a lot of scope. What I'd suggest is that you catch one of the early weeks in the season where teams will have their league games plus the option of an additional midweek game or European qualifer games. Personally, if you going either Istanbul or Belgrade...what about Dinamo v Hajduk in Croatia?

If you are looking for something safe and simple, do Belgium, Holland or Germany.

If you are looking for something where you'll have no problems getting tickets, try Portugal.
If you are wishing to go a bit off the track, try Eastern Europe.

That's sort of the point of the trip, I don't want it to be safe and simple. :icon_bigg

Now Germany is quite interesting, I was really thinking of going this spring (I think I sent you a PM about it) but I went to England instead. But it's too easy to get to, and it's a country way too similar to Sweden and England. I'm looking for something different.

The same goes for France, although I swear I will go to a game at Stade Velodrome, Marseille, in a near future. I've been to Parc des Prince, PSG once and it was brilliant.

Eastern Europe sounds good, how about going to, for instance, both Croatia and Serbia on the same trip? I can't stay forever unfortunately due to work.

If you go Eastern Europe early season, you'll have no problem getting a ticket and the weather will be good too. One negative is that for us Englishmen it's expensive due to majority of Eastern Europe have their own currencies.

Read up on your train travel if you are doing two countries.

Iraq's world cup qualifier :102: :icon_bigg :icon_wink

That's not a bad idea, might look into that, but the football in the Balkans countries attracts me more atm.

I've always wanted to go to the Korean derby, North v South, but I believe they played eachother quite recently?

Juve v Genoa

or if you can get tickets and they don't go down Juve v Torino

Maybe the Warsaw derby (Polonia v. Legia) might appeal to you. Maybe a little bit close to home though.

The Tel Aviv derby might be a slice of danger you're looking for. Maccabi v. Hapoel.

When I went to Rome a few weeks ago, I just missed the Roma/Lazio derby, which would have been very interesting.

How about Oadby Town versus Friar Lane & Epworth in the Midland Alliance ?

If you can get a ticket, of course

How about Oadby Town versus Friar Lane & Epworth in the Midland Alliance ?

If you can get a ticket, of course
I don't think he wants that much danger

You could take a look at Cracovia Kraków vs Wisła Kraków. A very, very heated derby...

In the Czech Republic, a decent game would be Banik Ostrava vs Sparta Praha (in Ostrava).

How about Bosnia Herzegovina? FK Sarajevo vs FK Zeljeznicar (Sarajevo derby) would be a great game to attend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwPK149_COA

A game in Croatia to see would be Zagreb vs Split.

Last edited:
You could take a look at Cracovia Kraków vs Wisła Kraków. A very, very heated derby...

In the Czech Republic, a decent game would be Banik Ostrava vs Sparta Praha (in Ostrava).

How about Bosnia Herzegovina? FK Sarajevo vs FK Zeljeznicar (Sarajevo derby) would be a great game to attend.

Thanks for four great suggestions. Have you been to any of these games yourself?

Poland would be easy and cheap to get to, might look at that for an easy start before I go on to further adventures... So Wisla v Cracovia is the game to watch?

I haven't been to any of the games, but I follow football in Europe quite closely.

Wisla v Cracovia is supposed to be intense. You can probably find a lot more about it on youtube.

I was in Sarajevo back in 2002 to watch Sigma Olomouc (my favourite professional club here) play FK Sarajevo in the UEFA Cup. I was told that I had to come back to watch FK Sarajevjo play Zeljeznicar.

You could also take a look at Russia, particularly derby games in Moscow or a game against Zenit St Petersburg.

I have work colleagues who are Cracovia, and Banik Ostrava fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566