Footballer held after fatal crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you talking about?

He's not been charged with manslaughter - and if he had been the maximum sentence is life, not 6 years. As it is, he has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving - and the maximum sentence for that is 14 years, although 6 months to 2 years seems to be what people get. It's also compulsory to ban from driving for at least 2 years; not sure what the maximum is.

There's a whole list of things which are said to make the offence more serious and point towards a longer sentence than the two years. If what has been written in the media is true, several of them would apply here, namely:
  • more than one person killed
  • other person seriously injured
  • uninsured driver/vehicle
  • driver over the drink-drive limit
They only have to find that he was talking on a mobile phone at the time and he could be away for years. :icon_wink

in US this would have been 3rd degree

no intent, just recklessness

10 years????

here death by dangerous driving carries 4 years

Do try to keep up ashmeister

i think it's not harsh but if any of us had above the sentance time we'd be upset

If I were related to those innocent young kids I would be more than 'upset'. He could be out in just over 3 years - what sort of message does that send out?

being careless/thoughtless and responsible for people losing their lives should be harshly punished, sadly it costs money though

Last edited:
being careless/thoughtless and responsible for people losing their lives should be harshly punished, sadly it costs money though

This country should have built more prison capacity years ago. If we can't afford it now then clear out the flat screen TVs', Playstations and so on and cram a few more bunks to a cell instead.

but the law book and sentancing is there for a reason

i think the fact he is a celebrity of sorts worked against him

was an unthinkable crime

but the law book and sentancing is there for a reason

i think the fact he is a celebrity of sorts worked against him

was an unthinkable crime

How? He has got off lightly. How did his 'status' work against him?

so spion if u were the judge what would u give him

id say 5 years banned from driving for life and 2 years parole on leaving

id say 5 years banned from driving for life and 2 years parole on leaving

if a regular tom dick or harry did this they would get 4 years

So you would give him an extra year for not being a 'regular Tom Dick or Harry'.

He has wiped out two lives and destroyed many more. He didn't set out to take lives but his actions had that effect.

I would give him 10 years myself which under current sentencing guidelines would mean he would be out in less than 5.

5 years wouldn't totally ruin his life (it wasn't premeditated murder) but the sentence would be enough to be a warning to others.

In addition, banned from driving for life.

so if i accidently knocked a vase off the shelf and killed a small child would i get 10 years too??

Knocking a vase off of a shelf is not illegal and is not generally accepted to be particularly dangerous.

Drinking and driving is illegal and is commonly accepted to be potentially dangerous and highly irresponsible.

I'm sure you can see the difference.

Last edited:
Have you got statistics to back that up or is it just a 'gut' feel?

In a much earlier post, I indicated that most people get a sentence of between 6 months and 2 years for the offence. I also listed a series of reasons why this particular case was likely was likely to attract a longer sentence. On the other hand, the incident seemed to have affected McCormick badly and he seemed to have expressed genuine remorse; both things which would be likely to shorten the sentence.

In all the circumstances I don't consider that McCormick has been harshly dealt with, but I agree with ashmeister that he seems to have received a longer sentence than would be normal and it seems likely that this is because this is a 'high profile' case and in an effort to 'encourager les autres'. In other words, he is going down for longer because of who he is.

This may not have been a wise move because it leaves open the question of an appeal against sentence which will only cause further distress for the family of the deceased.

In a much earlier post, I indicated that most people get a sentence of between 6 months and 2 years for the offence.

:icon_lol::icon_wink

5 years wouldn't totally ruin his life

His life was totally ruined the moment he realised what he had done. In any case the total ruination of a person's life is not a criteria for sentencing.

:icon_lol::icon_wink

I haven't got statistics but I have read enough to know it to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566