Post Match Fulham 2 Leicester 1

But shit, really.

Ricardo and Mavididi being jettisoned is a concern.

It’s been two games, so he gets a pass - although if he had done some proper homework (as he said he had done) then he should know that Ricardo is a squillionty times better than James Justin.

If he does it for a third time, however, then he’s genuinely a complete ****ing idiot

Mavididi and Ricardo being left out is one of the bigger concerns for me.

Getting more fight into our team is good. Dropping 2 of our most talented players to accommodate this isn't the way to do it.

Why lackluster but not mediocer?
I put the "Lacklustre" Americanism down to binge-watching the Ted Lasso series over the summer. I think "Mediocre" is the usual, though pretty average, spelling.

P.S. Ted Lasso was more entertaining than watching us play against Fulham.

Having watched the goals back, I can't blame Justin for either of them.

For the first one, he was doing his job covering inside. Fatawu just didn't track back. If he had, he'd have been able to prevent the shot.

For the second, he had to go with his man. Winks was covering the run from Iwobi but he just wasn't quick/fit enough to keep up with him.

Both Winks and Fatawu missed defensive tracking runs over and over again yesterday.

For the first one, he was doing his job covering inside. Fatawu just didn't track back. If he had, he'd have been able to prevent the shot.

For the second, he had to go with his man. Winks was covering the run from Iwobi but he just wasn't quick/fit enough to keep up with him.

Both Winks and Fatawu missed defensive tracking runs over and over again yesterday.

The whole of that right side was a mess from the off - all three of them, plus Vestergaard, were all over the place. Justin was generally poor all game, and played his part in both goals. Robinson is a great player, imo, so he had his hands full - but Iwobi is genuinely shite. They ripped us apart.

Should have been sorted well before half time, but wasn’t. Definitely should have been sorted at the break, but wasn’t. Wasn’t dealt with at all, which was very poor

I really like Justin but he was absolutely at fault for both goals, especially the second. He has no need to go lunging in at that point when he can track back. It was rash and impulsive. Both of our FBs were garbage defensively but the whole defence was sold short by the two central midfielders who couldn't be bothered to track back properly or get into space and provide an outlet.

The whole of that right side was a mess from the off - all three of them, plus Vestergaard, were all over the place. Justin was generally poor all game, and played his part in both goals. Robinson is a great player, imo, so he had his hands full - but Iwobi is genuinely shite. They ripped us apart.

Should have been sorted well before half time, but wasn’t. Definitely should have been sorted at the break, but wasn’t. Wasn’t dealt with at all, which was very poor

Our defenders have been doing a lot of defending in the first two matches. Our stats on tackles, blocks, headed clearances, etc. are all way above any other team. I'm no fan of any of our defenders to be honest, but they've been doing their best.

We need an extra man in midfield to block attacks and keep the ball better. Last season, we did this by inverting one of the fullbacks. In preseason this year, we did similar with one fullback tucking in and one going forward so we had three in the middle. It really didn't work though, so I think Cooper is looking for signings to enable a new plan.

Skipp clearly gives us the ability to play three in central midfield. The signings of Ayew and Decordova-Reid give us the option to play defensive wingers. We'll see what sort of other types of player come in this week.

I expected us to start with three defeats. Our squad is nowhere near ready and it still won't be on Saturday. The time to judge us will be the Palace and Everton games. If we look a disorganised rabble in those matches, it's time to worry.

We are learning as we go on.
Well, I hope we're learning.

I thought Winks could have done a lot better for Spurs goal as aswell. When Maddison puts the cross into the box, he should have had Winks on him, stopping that cross. Instead he was marking no one on the edge of the box.

1000073047.png

One thing not mentioned
Our goal from a corner
Corner came because we got the ball in early forcing the defender to clear it.

Yikes. Pretty much a two footed lunge on Cooperball from the Mercury two games in.

Two notes that feel very true:

“The first goal was a defensive disaster all around. Wout Faes ran high into the midfield to press Andreas Pereira, only for a chipped ball to take him out of the game. So when Jannik Vestergaard charged out to the left to challenge Rodrigo Muniz, he had to win his duel. He didn’t.”

I noticed against Spurs that both players were flying into midfield at times and playing very tight. Neither has the pace for that and our midfielders don’t have the defensive discipline to bail them out.

The other note was that Cooper has won 2 away matches in 28 attempts in the premier league. That’s simply not good enough.

“The first goal was a defensive disaster all around. Wout Faes ran high into the midfield to press Andreas Pereira, only for a chipped ball to take him out of the game. So when Jannik Vestergaard charged out to the left to challenge Rodrigo Muniz, he had to win his duel. He didn’t.”
Nah it was all Justin’s fault, apparently.

Nah it was all Justin’s fault, apparently.
I don’t believe anyone said that, merely that he was largely to blame but the whole defence (and arguably midfield) were poor and contributed to both goals.

I don’t believe anyone said that, merely that he was largely to blame but the whole defence (and arguably midfield) were poor and contributed to both goals.
I'd say both central defenders were massively out of position. Not sure either are the answer in the top flight - or at least not equipped for what Cooper is asking of them so far.

Still early days, I suppose.

I'd say both central defenders were massively out of position. Not sure either are the answer in the top flight - or at least not equipped for what Cooper is asking of them so far.

Yeah, you’d think we would have gone out and spent £10/15 million on a new centre back, wouldn’t you

Oh, hold on a minute…..

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46
10Manchester U46