Gilbert Kinch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foxes bidder awarded payout

A Leicestershire businessman who was bankrupted during a failed bid to take over Leicester City has been awarded more than £2m in damages.

Gilbert Kinch, 65, from Rothley, tried to take over the club in 2002 after being falsely told by solicitor David Rosling funds were available.

Mr Rosling, 70, from Hammerwood in East Grinstead in Sussex, was struck off by the Law Society for dishonesty in 2006.

A High Court judge awarded damages totalling £2,243,240 against him.

Mr Justice Tugendhat heard how Mr Kinch was "a respected and successful Leicestershire businessman" and had been a non-executive director of Leicester City Football Club until he resigned in 1999.

His QC, Jeremy Stuart-Smith, said Mr Rosling was the solicitor for an organisation which was understood to have the funds Mr Kinch would require for a takeover.

On the strength of Mr Rosling's "representations and assurances" on the availability of funds Mr Kinch "committed himself to substantial expenditure".

But after the backing failed to materialise, he was unable to meet his debts as they fell due and his shareholding in the club became worthless, at a cost of nearly £1m.

Mr Kinch was made bankrupt in 2003 but this has since been discharged.

Mr Stuart-Smith told the court: "Mr Kinch and his family have suffered intense humiliation, distress and anxiety as a consequence of Mr Rosling's deceit."

Mr Kinch declined to comment as he left court following the hearing.

Last edited:
Which explains why he was so confident in his dealings when he tried to buy the club. Looks like he was shafted. We may not have wanted him to buy the club but he was being honest when he said he had the cash lined up ...... just he didn'y know he was being lied to!

Well well ... this explains a lot.

Would be really interested further explanation of "he was unable to meet his debts as they fell due and his shareholding in the club became worthless, at a cost of nearly £1m"

a) The bid did not seem that far down the line when the Trust meet GK & Roy Parker, so would not have expected significant costs to have be incurred in making the bid.

b) Shareholding worthless, has nothing to do with bidding for the club, all shareholders had worthless shares as soon as the club went into administration, the decision to bid came after this had happened

The Trust being in it's infancy had doubts about the funding during our initial discussions and then the PR machine of the "Lineker Bid" made it very difficult for GK/RP to get public support.

Any time we are tempted to complain about Milan we should remember the antics of "The gang of Four". We had a good and caring chairman in John Elsom. We had our best ever manager in Martin O'Neill and were doing well in the Premiership. That was when the Gang of Four struck. We had the ridiculous situation where the chairman and the manager were not allowed to write in the club programme. It was a good day for Leicester City when the Kinch bid failed.

Below are quotes from an article in The Independent called "Fear and Loathing In Filbert Street"

The meeting has been called to vote on resolutions from Sir Rodney Walker, chairman of Leicester City plc, and John Elsom, chairman of Leicester City football club, confirming them as "plc directors" and removing a so-called "Gang of Four" - chief executive Barrie Pierpoint, Philip Smith, Roy Parker and Gilbert Kinch - from the board. The original cause of the acrimony - alleged improprieties in the distribution of tickets - has been eclipsed by a furore that has seen the banning of Sir Rodney from the director's box of Leicester's stadium, a Stock Exchange investigation, suggestions that the club's manager, Martin O'Neill, may decamp in disgust, and fans chanting "Pierpoint Out!" and "Gang of Four Out

At a petrol station on Leicester's Narborough Road I chatted to customers about their football club. Eyes blazed, jaws jutted, mouths twitched. Words normally associated with the soccer terrace issued forth - "Bastards," "f****ers", "wankers", "c**ts", "plonkers" - in a high-octane stream. I was encouraged to imagine a game run by odious rascals and shady adventurers where squalid egotism, opportunism, indiscretion and greed are rampant, where turnstile loyalty is trampled underfoot, and the words, "mutual interests", no longer carry discernible meaning

Any time we are tempted to complain about Milan we should remember the antics of "The gang of Four". We had a good and caring chairman in John Elsom.

There are many people who would disagree with you - especially with the benefit of hindsight.

Elsom was a nice man, but he had no idea how to run a football club. Sir Rodney Walker might have been able to, but he didn't have the time. The ideas of the Gang of Four were not so mad IMHO and if they and Martin O'Neill had worked out how they could work together for the benefit of the club, we would not be in the position we are in now.

Iirc there was a quote used against the gang of 4 that went something like "Martin O'Neil won't be here forever". This was spun to imply that they were planning to sack him, whereas as they explained they meant that he would eventually leave for a bigger club. Six months later he did.

Pierpoint who had made a lot of money for the club had to leave and within 2 years the club was in administration.

Any time we are tempted to complain about Milan we should remember the antics of "The gang of Four". We had a good and caring chairman in John Elsom. We had our best ever manager in Martin O'Neill and were doing well in the Premiership. That was when the Gang of Four struck. We had the ridiculous situation where the chairman and the manager were not allowed to write in the club programme. It was a good day for Leicester City when the Kinch bid failed.

Below are quotes from an article in The Independent called "Fear and Loathing In Filbert Street"

The meeting has been called to vote on resolutions from Sir Rodney Walker, chairman of Leicester City plc, and John Elsom, chairman of Leicester City football club, confirming them as "plc directors" and removing a so-called "Gang of Four" - chief executive Barrie Pierpoint, Philip Smith, Roy Parker and Gilbert Kinch - from the board. The original cause of the acrimony - alleged improprieties in the distribution of tickets - has been eclipsed by a furore that has seen the banning of Sir Rodney from the director's box of Leicester's stadium, a Stock Exchange investigation, suggestions that the club's manager, Martin O'Neill, may decamp in disgust, and fans chanting "Pierpoint Out!" and "Gang of Four Out

At a petrol station on Leicester's Narborough Road I chatted to customers about their football club. Eyes blazed, jaws jutted, mouths twitched. Words normally associated with the soccer terrace issued forth - "Bastards," "f****ers", "wankers", "c**ts", "plonkers" - in a high-octane stream. I was encouraged to imagine a game run by odious rascals and shady adventurers where squalid egotism, opportunism, indiscretion and greed are rampant, where turnstile loyalty is trampled underfoot, and the words, "mutual interests", no longer carry discernible meaning

What utter bollocks! The kicking out of the so called Gang of Four, was the start of our downfall.

I've always felt that Peter Taylor being allowed to spend over 20 million quid on players that were not good enough for the Premier League was the reason the club really went down the toilet. Maybe there is an argument that the gang of four would not have allowed this to happen, but who knows.

I've always felt that Peter Taylor being allowed to spend over 20 million quid on players that were not good enough for the Premier League was the reason the club really went down the toilet. Maybe there is an argument that the gang of four would not have allowed this to happen, but who knows.

Give this man a cigar.............:038::038::038::038::038:

The penny is beginning to drop. It's as clear as the nose on your face that the Go4 were intent on maintaining fiscal security. What do you think was happening when MON provoked the row over the mobile phones?

The penny is beginning to drop. It's as clear as the nose on your face that the Go4 were intent on maintaining fiscal security. What do you think was happening when MON provoked the row over the mobile phones?

I think any of us reflecting of those events from nearly ten years ago surely has to admit that we backed the wrong horse.

We went with MON. That was only okay as long as he stayed in charge and maintained our position punching well above our weight. For MON to effectively force out the only people with competant fiscal management skills and then months later walk away was one of only two things that sours my memory of him. The other being his incessant use of the abuse he received in the Sheff U game as inappropriate when it actually did the club, and him, the world of good.

The gang of four were guilty of handling the whole mess really badly. At no point did they create or merit any positive press. But ultimately, they were right. Things weren't being done right. If they'd won control of the club, MON would have gone a few months early but surely the whole the Twatlor/Elsom shambles would have never happened either.

Personality and policy clashes blighted the City boardroom for decades. The result of which was a humiliating financial collapse and the eviction of them all. This left us ripe to be played with by Mandy and dragged down to the previously unknown depths in which we now reside. I am terrified of the mess he'll leave us in when he's finished with his games.

The fact that many previous shareholders and directors of the club watch on now fascinates me. What do they think of it all now? I'd love to hear the likes of a Gilbert Kinch or Martin George tell us what they make of the past, the present and the future.

Iirc there was a quote used against the gang of 4 that went something like "Martin O'Neil won't be here forever". This was spun to imply that they were planning to sack him, whereas as they explained they meant that he would eventually leave for a bigger club. Six months later he did.

Pierpoint who had made a lot of money for the club had to leave and within 2 years the club was in administration.

Pierpoint has also ran 2 businesses which went under since then, so it's not so black & white, more like shades of red finance wise

I think any of us reflecting of those events from nearly ten years ago surely has to admit that we backed the wrong horse.

We went with MON. That was only okay as long as he stayed in charge and maintained our position punching well above our weight. For MON to effectively force out the only people with competant fiscal management skills and then months later walk away was one of only two things that sours my memory of him. The other being his incessant use of the abuse he received in the Sheff U game as inappropriate when it actually did the club, and him, the world of good.

The gang of four were guilty of handling the whole mess really badly. At no point did they create or merit any positive press. But ultimately, they were right. Things weren't being done right. If they'd won control of the club, MON would have gone a few months early but surely the whole the Twatlor/Elsom shambles would have never happened either.

Personality and policy clashes blighted the City boardroom for decades. The result of which was a humiliating financial collapse and the eviction of them all. This left us ripe to be played with by Mandy and dragged down to the previously unknown depths in which we now reside. I am terrified of the mess he'll leave us in when he's finished with his games.

The fact that many previous shareholders and directors of the club watch on now fascinates me. What do they think of it all now? I'd love to hear the likes of a Gilbert Kinch or Martin George tell us what they make of the past, the present and the future.

Look at Pompy now. In a bit of a financial mess to say the least.

Look at Pompy now. In a bit of a financial mess to say the least.

Are you certain that it is down to Mandrich? I could have sworn that Gaydermark (sp?) has lost a fortune in the current financial climate and bought the club lock, stock and barrel.

MON's domination is what you get in a smallish organisation when you have a particularly strong and competent individual - the impact was magnified because he was able to orchestrate popular support from the fans.

However, I haven't got much time or sympathy for the rest of the cast. None of them were that brilliant although it's fair to say that the club reaped the costs of MON's domnation when he left - because there was an absence of quality of leadership both managerially and elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363