Gilbert, Maybury & Stearman

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex

I thought Richard Stearman was class today, rampaging runs, one fantastic Webber block - yes, on the whole a top performance from the kid...

However, Maybury looked out of sorts on the left, so where does that leave Stearman?

I reckon CL will revert Maybury to RB on Tuesday and play Gilbert from the start - but I'd feel unlucky if i were Stearman, he was one of our better players at shame Lane yesterday.

I agree, in fact the turning point came when he changed the defence around for some reason.
We had coped pretty well, so i can only think it was to give Gilbert a "run out".
It backfired because the last 2 goals came from crosses we failed to stop or cope with in the box.
I would revert Maybury to RB because his link play with Momo could be vital for us this season.
It will be hard on Stearman but his time will come (at centre back eventually).
It was difficult to judge Gilbert, but he is obviously not fit, maybe better to give him a reserve run out midweekand play him against Ipswich

Therefore keep with the samer full backs starting against Stoke?

I think Gilbert will feature to be honest.

Glad to see someone else needs to pontificate at such an early hour!!

alex said:
Therefore keep with the samer full backs starting against Stoke?

I think CL should as, on the whole, they looked relatively comfortable against the 'great' Sheffield Utd - however, i do agree with the point made earlier that Maybury at right-back gives us better balance and should be allowed to forge a good realtionship with Momo down that side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stearman was good yesterday, but I think that Maybury is better than Stearman at RB. However, Maybs might actually be the best option we have at LB. I'd probably go for Maybury and Gilbert against Stoke, but if that doesn't work then go back to Stearman and Maybury. I didn't think Maybury was too bad against Sheff Utd, he just doesn't get forward as well on the left.

I don't know why Sheehan has been forgotten about, maybe he's injured, or maybe CL thinks he's too inexperienced. I didn't much like the look of Gilbert in the brief spell he had so I'd probably play Maybury and Sheehan, although that is harsh on Stearman and I wouldn't really be upset if we played Stearman and Maybury again.

alex said:
I thought Richard Stearman was class today, rampaging runs, one fantastic Webber block - yes, on the whole a top performance from the kid...

However, Maybury looked out of sorts on the left, so where does that leave Stearman?

I reckon CL will revert Maybury to RB on Tuesday and play Gilbert from the start - but I'd feel unlucky if i were Stearman, he was one of our better players at shame Lane yesterday.
Totally agree

I dont mind what he does as long as he doesnt start messing around with it with 10 minutes to go. Why he took Stearman off i will never know. We were comfortable and then we completely went to pieces once Gilbert came on.

You dont need to fcuk around with your defence if there not doing anything wrong!

PONTUS KAAMARK said:
I dont mind what he does as long as he doesnt start messing around with it with 10 minutes to go. Why he took Stearman off i will never know. We were comfortable and then we completely went to pieces once Gilbert came on.

You dont need to fcuk around with your defence if there not doing anything wrong!

I also was very surprised when CL took Stearman off: I thought he had been brilliant!

I don't care much for Gilbert anyway (so far). I'd rather have Sheehan in. He looks like he is going to be a good player (when he gets to play, that is!) ... :)

Maybe stearman wasnt 100% fit?

fcukcov said:
Maybe stearman wasnt 100% fit?

Well, this cannot be ruled out (short of CL or Richard confirming it). However, one certainly could see no evidence of this on the pitch. Don't you think?

cisono said:
Well, this cannot be ruled out (short of CL or Richard confirming it). However, one certainly could see no evidence of this on the pitch. Don't you think?

Yeh I would agree with that. Also could have been that he has little match experince thus far and therefore his full game fitness may be a little way off. NO doubt if he continues as he did yesterday that he will be an excellent player. However I believe that in the near future Maybury will play right back and stearman may have to wait until next season for his chance to be a first team regular.

DesertFox said:
Blimey, he's been here a week!!! :102:

Fickle boneheads :icon_eek: ;)

Well we have seen so much of him that I reckon he will never play for us again and should be hounded out of the club and his contract terminated and Lee Morris will then comeback fully fit and be our saviour and we will win the league with 105 points and 110 goals for and 5 against. Then we will sign Beckham and Figo and we will win the champions league within two years.;)

You did, but it's an attitude that bothers me. It starts with a couple of comments after less than half a game, and before you know it, he'll be the new scapegoat after MDV is carted off to the assylum.

Steve Guppy was initially a target for "the boo boys", as was Simon Grayson. They both worked out OK, didn't they? Let's at least give the guy a full game!

There is always a target for some boneheads DF.

Can't believe they are having a go at someone after 10 minutes of football.

I thought Stearman was excellent and Maybury was no better when moved to right back (in fact he got skinned for their fourth goal), but starting at left back probably unsettled him.

Gilbert didn't look great, but he needs match fitness and who in the team did look great after the second penalty???

Stearman, Johansson and Williams were vying for MoM in my opinion.

Why did he not look great? He was on the pitch for 5 minutes pretty much!! The Gillespie goal wasn't his fault at all, McCarthy played them all onside..

The lad looked fine, Jesus!

He looked hesitant and struggled to adapt to the pace of the game in the last few minutes. Looked uncomfortable in possession too, but as I said Alex, who didn't in those last ten minutes.

You can't judge a player on 10 minutes, especially when all hell is going on around him (as it was after the second penalty). That was my point Alex, he can not be judged after that and I hope nobody gets on his back as a result of it.

The ref cost us the game, although Rab's mistake for the first penalty was also crucial. Big Rab will make mistakes like this (he always has at Celtic), but he will win us some points with his 'keeping too, so I hope the fans keep behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669