Gloves/Snoods/Bodywarmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profondo Rosso

Does anyone else find this constant media attack on players wearing gloves and snoods extremely humorous?

Oh no, how dare players try and keep warm! Nevermind the fact that staying warm reduces the chances of injury as well as making it easier for a player to run quicker and more likely to put in a good performance (does anyone not remember those freezing cold games as a kid where you really weren't in the mindset or physical state to do much).

Saw a rant on SSN the other day from Holloway about them. Yeah, Ollie, if you feel that way, stop going to every game in a long coat, gloves and scarf and freeze your own arse off.

Last edited:

Cate Fox

Does anyone else find this constant media attack on players wearing gloves and snoods extremely humorous?

Oh no, how dare players try and keep warm! Nevermind the fact that staying warm reduces the chances of injury as well as making it easier for a player to run quicker and more likely to put in a good performance (does anyone not remember those freezing cold games as a kid where you really weren't in the mindset or physical state to do much).

Saw a rant on SSN the other day from Holloway about them. Yeah, Ollie, if you feel that way, stop going to every game in a long coat, gloves and scarf and freeze your own arse off.

Gloves fair enough...but snoods? FFS

beaumontfox

If a defender grabs hold of their snood instead of their shirt and accidentally strangles them when they try and rip it off then they only have themselves to blame.

Snood ffs......I HATE the cold and I don't even wear one of those things!

Graz

Snoods are a bit weird, because I would've thought they'd get in the way a bit? I've not actually seen any players wearing them yet, nor am I entirely sure I know what a snood is. It's one of those hoop things that goes round your neck instead of a scarf, right?

Gloves and body warmers, absolutely fair enough. I agree, a lot of people criticise players for wearing them, and it's stupid criticism. Players aren't going to be charging around for 90 minutes of a game, sometimes they aren't going to be involved in play and in those times in cold conditions, the body can cool down very quickly, and as you say injuries will become more likely.

Trying to run in the freezing cold is a bitch. I'm not exactly an athlete, but like to go running occassionally, but when it's freezing cold I struggle a lot because the cold just takes your breath away - bodywarmers etc probably help.

Profondo Rosso

If a defender grabs hold of their snood instead of their shirt and accidentally strangles them when they try and rip it off then they only have themselves to blame.

Snood ffs......I HATE the cold and I don't even wear one of those things!

Would you would wear a scarf though? Because all it is is doing the same job except I'm guessing it's a hell of a lot safer on the football field than a scarf would be.

Agree with Graz they might get in the way a bit, which I understand, but I don't understand the criticism in terms of the heroism of players who wear short sleeved shirts etc." which is wear a lot of the criticism comes from (as the Holloway rant I was referring to did). It's pathetic. Especially as it's generally said by people wearing coats, jumpers and scarves watching the game themselves.

Last edited:

SwedeFox

Agree with Graz they might get in the way a bit, which I understand, but I don't understand the criticism in terms of the heroism of players who wear short sleeved shirts etc." which is wear a lot of the criticism comes from (as the Holloway rant I was referring to did).

So typically British, 'footballers should be like Terry Butcher'. Nothing wrong with that I guess, it's a question of different football cultures, but can you imagine people criticizing players for trying to keep warm in, say, Spain or Italy? :icon_lol:

Mawsley

So typically British, 'footballers should be like Terry Butcher'. Nothing wrong with that I guess, it's a question of different football cultures, but can you imagine people criticizing players for trying to keep warm in, say, Spain or Italy? :icon_lol:

Heaven forbid they should run about a bit.

Profondo Rosso

Because standing at the side of a pitch is like running about one how? :102:

Because players run about on the pitch non-stop for 90 minutes plus breaks, including long breaks in cases of injuries and such like and during the half-time break since when? :102:

Profondo Rosso

People who don't wear, or criticise players for wearing gloves or bodywarmers etc. because they think it makes them look less soft and pampered (as you implied with the criticise of foreign footballers in relation to this thread in your last post) are the ones who are being less vain, less caring too much about their image and, if you like, more "masculine" than those who simply try to keep warm, how exactly?

Not wearing something because of how it make you look and the image of you it puts across seems far softer, more effiminate and more pampered than wearing something to keep warm (which seems like a basic and necessary trait of human evolution) to me.

Last edited:

DesertFox

Totally agree. You even hear people talking up players for wearing short sleeves when it's freezing. In my book that's not being hard or clever, it's a basic lack of professionalism. Nobody these days argues with the importance of diet, physical and mental conditioning, etc, but something as simple as keeping warm to maximise your performance? Nah, must be a puff! :icon_roll

MHS

I am a proud owner of a snood. And you know what, it's probably the best thing I've bought in a long time. It makes so much difference in keeping you warm, I don't find it surprising in the slightest that footballers are wearing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669