Goal drought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heineken Matt

Can somebody please answer the following questions.........

1. Who was the last LCFC player to score more than 20 goals in a season?

2. Why over the last couple of seasons have we been completely inept in front of goal and been unable to stick the ball in the onion bag? It is for this very reason that we have been relegated afterall, as our defensive record was pretty good.

More goals would have meant Championship survival, and I would have thought between Hume, Howard, Cambell, Fratt, Hayles we should have managed that.

Discuss.

2. Why over the last couple of seasons have we been completely inept in front of goal and been unable to stick the ball in the onion bag?
Because they're being coached by a fcuking goalkeeper without a brain.

For as long as Mandaric allows a system where we leak away goals underground and then see sudden goal floods I will not pay my goal tax.

Some people are still having their goals delivered using lead pipes and that simply isn't good enough in this day and age.

1. Who was the last LCFC player to score more than 20 goals in a season?

I don't know why people keep going on about 20-goal-a-season strikers; there are very few of them about these days - it's not only City that can't find one.

I think we have to got back to the mid 80s to find the boy Lineker as our last player to reach that target, although IIRC both Alan Smith and Iwan Roberts came very near to it.

According to the two minutes of detailed research I've just done, 12 out of the 92 league clubs had a player who scored 20 in the league this season, which is a little over 11%. Or to put it another way, we should have a better than 1 in 8 chance of getting a 20-goal player every season.

We're way overdue...

I would sooner have 3 who can each be relied on to score 10 -12 a season. Relying on one prolific striker is high risk.

I don't know why people keep going on about 20-goal-a-season strikers; there are very few of them about these days - it's not only City that can't find one.

I think we have to got back to the mid 80s to find the boy Lineker as our last player to reach that target, although IIRC both Alan Smith and Iwan Roberts came very near to it.

My point is that having a more prolific goal scorer would have meant we retained our Championship status.

Both Stern John and Kevin Lisbie scored 19 and 17 goals each this season for Southampton and Colchester. Has any of our strikers scored this many we would be playing Championship football. 20 is not the magic number, but having a striker who can score a few goals often lifts the side and the crowd and the players want to get the ball to him. How many of our players do you think were confident of giving Matty Fryatt the ball towards the end of the season?

There were 22 players who scored as many or more goals than Ian Hume this season, we finished in 22nd place. Those numbers are pure coincidence, however the fact we do not have a striker that can find the net more than 15 times a season and we have been relegated is no coincidence.

My point is that having a more prolific goal scorer would have meant we retained our Championship status.
One goal, ONE SINGLE FCUKING GOAL would have preserved our Championship Status.

But the usless fcukers couldn't do it and the useless Manager didn't appear to want that goal at Stoke!!!!

One goal, ONE SINGLE FCUKING GOAL would have preserved our Championship Status.

But the usless fcukers couldn't do it and the useless Manager didn't appear to want that goal at Stoke!!!!

Melts

We should never have had to go to Stoke and get a goal! 0 -0 against a team who got promoted in my opinion was a good result.

But the fact we fired another blank yet again goes to show where we fell short........how many games last season did we not score in? Lots is the answer.

FFS a goal against Blackpool at home on the first day of the season would have secured our championship status!

When Sheffield Wednesday came and beat us up at home in front of 30+ 000 I actually lost it. Something broke.

Can somebody please answer the following...
Why over the last couple of seasons have we been completely inept in front of goal and been unable to stick the ball in the onion bag? It is for this very reason that we have been relegated afterall, as our defensive record was pretty good.

More goals would have meant Championship survival, and I would have thought between Hume, Howard, Cambell, Fratt, Hayles we should have managed that.

Discuss.

Good question! I agree with previous posters that essentially we need to have 2 forwards scoring 30 goals between them - say 17 & 13 apiece (plus, I would add, a midfielder getting 6 or 7). The 20 goal+ forward is rare - & likely to get snapped up within 6 months by a premier league team as also pretty much stated by someone else above. BTW, I think we might have got 2 or 3 goals more out of Hume this season if he hadn't been played out on the wing for so long. That would have meant another point or two, which would have prevented relegation - managers poor judgement to keep him on the wing for much too long.

If the wing/creative midfield department had been sorted sooner (as well as forward line), then LCFC would not be in the mess it is in now. This does come down to a combination of poor recruitment by more than one manager. Unfortunately, Ian Holloway perpetuated the same mistakes of his predecessors - he did not get the winger situation right (or midfield) and in Howard he recruited the wrong man. He exacerbated the frontline goal dearth by not only keeping Hume on the wing but also towards the end by giving Fryatt a few appearances. Fryatt missed some sitters which also directly cost the points that would have made the difference between survival & relegation. IH was unlucky with DJ - he may have been good enough (jury out on this one) but injury meant we couldn't see enough of him to be sure.

But anyway, squad recruitment has been all wrong by several managers and there needed to have been more quality and less quantity. IH criticised MA for signing 15 new players but (pro-rata) in his time IH went ahead and did exactly the same thing - mainly because each player he signed & each existing squad player he selected for midfield & forward line pretty much failed to deliver with rare exception - and so IH kept on signing yet more players. IH criticised previous managers for playing players out of position - only to do the same himself for fatally long. In terms of recruitment only Hendrie & Bell, and with selection Hume up front, worked at the very end. Which proved too little, too late.

Last edited:
I knew it was all Martin allen's fault!

Excuse me, but I think you will find this thread has been aimed at the players, not the manager. When have I once blamed a manager?

I am simply asking why we cannot score goals?

Both Stern John and Kevin Lisbie scored 19 and 17 goals each this season for Southampton and Colchester. Has any of our strikers scored this many we would be playing Championship football. 20 is not the magic number, but having a striker who can score a few goals often lifts the side and the crowd and the players want to get the ball to him. How many of our players do you think were confident of giving Matty Fryatt the ball towards the end of the season?

There were 22 players who scored as many or more goals than Ian Hume this season, we finished in 22nd place. Those numbers are pure coincidence, however the fact we do not have a striker that can find the net more than 15 times a season and we have been relegated is no coincidence.

We could've signed Lisbie as well... we had him on trial last summer and decided we weren't interested!

Then again we probably wouldn't have got him to score anyway

We could've signed Lisbie as well... we had him on trial last summer and decided we weren't interested!

Then again we probably wouldn't have got him to score anyway

Yes, he was 'on trial' with Lee Hendrie wasn't he?

Good move to let them both go for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670