Goal drought

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont care if we have a 20 goal a season man or not, it would just be nice to have 4 or 5 strikers and wingers that share 50 odd goals, not relying on center halfs or the odd wonder goal to see us through.

Excuse me, but I think you will find this thread has been aimed at the players, not the manager. When have I once blamed a manager?

I am simply asking why we cannot score goals?

And quite right too.

Everyone knows that football managers are in no way responsible for football. His main duty is to ensure that the soft drinks machine is fully stocked at the training ground and he should be judged solely on that.

i dont care if we have a 20 goal a season man or not, it would just be nice to have 4 or 5 strikers and wingers that share 50 odd goals, not relying on center halfs or the odd wonder goal to see us through.

Matt Oakley scored 3 goals before leaving the sheep and was their second top scorer. He didn't get close for us.

Our goals from midfield this year were
Clemence 2
Hendrie 1
King 1

Pathetic. So, in response to the original point, yes we needed more goals from strikers but we also need more goals from every-feckin-where else

Incidentally the previous year's figures were

Hughes 3
Porter 3
Newton 1
Williams 1
Tiatto 1
Yeates 1
Johnson 1

Still pretty pathetic, and what a roll-call of losers that is!

And quite right too.

Everyone knows that football managers are in no way responsible for football. His main duty is to ensure that the soft drinks machine is fully stocked at the training ground and he should be judged solely on that.

No you are quite right, Hume missing the penalty against Shef Weds, Fryatt spooning some glorious chances and Mcauley hitting the post against Stoke are all Holloways fault clearly.

Fact is, Holloway or no Holloway, we were simply not good enough and did not score enough goals - but this has been going on long before the carrot cruncher came along - so vindicate him all you like, this is nothing new gents, take your LCFC blinkers off.

I think it's an atmosphere thing.It's to do with the stench of death & defeat that has hovered around the place since we dropped out of the Prem.Bad signings,shambolic management,too many upheavals have all taken their toll.
We've watched players succumb to it like canaries in a coal mine.Even the much hated Steven Hughes looked like he could be a decent player when he 1st arrived (if anyone can remember back that far) but like everyone else he faded.Levi porter looked quick,sharp & was taken to by the crowd when he first broke into the team...but thren faded too.it's like an infection that goes through the club from top to bottom.Successive managers haven't corrected it,Mandaric & his money hasn't corrected it.It's the reason we can't win 2 games in a row,the reason we hardly ever come from behind to win.
It makes players nervous of trying anything.For all the flak he's taken Steve Howard is a proven striker at this level but has been largely ineffective since coming here simply because he has had no appreciable service.Wide players don't cross the ball for him & midfielders don't play him through.The entire problem stems from a complete lack of confidence to try ANYTHING so we revert to predictable patterns of play that champinship defences can easily deal with.

Oh...& DJ Campbell couldn't finish a fecking Happy Meal.That doesn't help either.

I think it's an atmosphere thing.It's to do with the stench of death & defeat that has hovered around the place since we dropped out of the Prem.Bad signings,shambolic management,too many upheavals have all taken their toll.
We've watched players succumb to it like canaries in a coal mine.Even the much hated Steven Hughes looked like he could be a decent player when he 1st arrived (if anyone can remember back that far) but like everyone else he faded.Levi porter looked quick,sharp & was taken to by the crowd when he first broke into the team...but thren faded too.it's like an infection that goes through the club from top to bottom.Successive managers haven't corrected it,Mandaric & his money hasn't corrected it.It's the reason we can't win 2 games in a row,the reason we hardly ever come from behind to win.
It makes players nervous of trying anything.For all the flak he's taken Steve Howard is a proven striker at this level but has been largely ineffective since coming here simply because he has had no appreciable service.Wide players don't cross the ball for him & midfielders don't play him through.The entire problem stems from a complete lack of confidence to try ANYTHING so we revert to predictable patterns of play that champinship defences can easily deal with.

Oh...& DJ Campbell couldn't finish a fecking Happy Meal.That doesn't help either.

Lovin that post Give us a Wave - I totally agree with you, including the happy meal bit!

Possibly.

But the most important thing is where and how do we go from here.

Providing that we are able to bring in a half-decent new manager, we should have now sunk to a level where results can improve and confidence begins to return......hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator:
No you are quite right, Hume missing the penalty against Shef Weds, Fryatt spooning some glorious chances and Mcauley hitting the post against Stoke are all Holloways fault clearly.

Fact is, Holloway or no Holloway, we were simply not good enough and did not score enough goals - but this has been going on long before the carrot cruncher came along - so vindicate him all you like, this is nothing new gents, take your LCFC blinkers off.

I think you'll find that you are the only person 'vindicating' Holloway.

So you can vindicate him all you like, he is the manager, the buck stops with him. He has failed, in lots of areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669