Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profondo Rosso

The boredom continues...

wheres joey ?:icon_bigg

He is just around the corner ...

... now where is Neil Lennon and Matt Elliot. Not to mention Junior Lewis and Trevor Benjamin!

Which begs the question, What makes a player great?

Goals scored, brilliant defender? Scored the goal that won promotion/escaped relegation but did feck all the rest of the season?
Had to have played for us at least 100 times?

He is just around the corner ...

... now where is Neil Lennon and Matt Elliot. Not to mention Junior Lewis and Trevor Benjamin!

Which begs the question, What makes a player great?

Goals scored, brilliant defender? Scored the goal that won promotion/escaped relegation but did feck all the rest of the season?
Had to have played for us at least 100 times?

Gordon Banks was nominated for European Player of the Year while playing for us. That's a start. :icon_wink

I chose Gordon Banks, as I guess that along with Peter Shilton and Gary Lineker they are known as great footballers all round the world.

I am not old enough to know much about Arthur Rowley. I know his 400+ goals was a Football League record, but I do not think he played much in the First Division (= Premiership now), and most of his goals were scored in the Second division or lower. Bit like Fryatt really!

I chose Gordon Banks, as I guess that along with Peter Shilton and Gary Lineker they are known as great footballers all round the world.

I am not old enough to know much about Arthur Rowley. I know his 400+ goals was a Football League record, but I do not think he played much in the First Division (= Premiership now), and most of his goals were scored in the Second division or lower. Bit like Fryatt really!

I would say Banks is quite a lot more famous than Lineker and Shilton in his worldwide acclaim, maybe not in England, but Banks is generally considered among the top 2 or 3 Goalkeepers ever worldwide along with Lev Yashin and Dino Zoff, and is one of 4 English players, along with Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore and Stanley Mathews that always end up on these Greatest footballers ever lists, even if they are compiled in Italy or Brazil or somewhere.

Last edited:
Pretty crap opinion as I have only seen a couple of these play live, but in my life time, the best Leicester player I have ever seen is Muzzy Izzet.

I voted for Peter Shilton. I thought it was a choice from Banks, Shilton and Lineker. All three were known throughout the world and not just in Britain. Banks and Shilton were quite simply the best goalkeepers in the world in their time. I did not see Banks play for Leicester although I saw him later for Stoke. I gave Shilton the nod because of his extraordianry longevity - he was an England goalkeeper in 1970 though not in the World Cup and he was still an England goalkeeper in 1990. In the 1970s we had a semi-final against Liverpool in which we were totally outplayed and drew 0-0. Memory plays tricks but I do think it was the finest goalkeeping display I have ever seen.

I would have loved to pick Keith Weller but there was a better winger around - George Best. Frankie Wortho was brilliant but Keegan of Liverpool and Law of Man U were perhaps better strikers,

Growing up outside Leicester I can say that Arthur Rowley's fame was local. I remember being taken to see strikers like Nat Lofthouse and Tommy Taylor who were really great centre forwards. Milburn and Mortenson were also legendary but I had hardly heard of Arthur Rowley.

The mischievous vote would go to Billy Wright. For those too young to remember he was the England captain in the 1950s, the first player to get 100 caps (when that was far more difficult than it is now) and was with the possible exception of Bobby Moore England's greatest defender. Billy Wright did play for Leicester albeit in a wartime match where this kind of anomaly could happen.

It has GOT to be Frankie Worthington. If he had played for Liverpool, as he would have if he hadn't enjoyed a night on the town before his medical, he would be acknowledged as one of the greatest strikers this country has ever produced: and yes, I count myself privileged to be old enough to have seen him in a Leicester shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566