half the wage bill just 4 players wages??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who the hell would pay that much a week for Benjamin? He'll will be taking a wage cut next season. Perhaps Taylor will sign him.

Will there be money next season though? I heard that this ground share with the Tigers will leave Levein with limited funds. I know one thing Levein has a hell of a mess to clear up. I really hope some good young talent come through for next season.

So what we're saying is that if Walker, Scowcroft, Benjamin and especially Elliot were decent human beings, for the sake of the club they should walk away.

Walker, Elliott et al have all got enough foreign property, pension, savings etc. so feck off!

kam said:
So what we're saying is that if Walker, Scowcroft, Benjamin and especially Elliot were decent human beings, for the sake of the club they should walk away.

Walker, Elliott et al have all got enough foreign property, pension, savings etc. so feck off!

And do what??

What you seem to be saying is that they should put the club ahead of themselves and their families? Can you honestly say that you would do that, and taking the 'fans' glasses off - why should they?

The club didn't sign any of these players off the scrapheap but now most of them would struggle to find a decent new club.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with being a decent human being!

I say we get rid of Walker, Elliott, Benjamin and Scowcroft, with the money generated from their wages going towards young players from lower divisions (3 weeks wages for Matt Elliott should be able to afford us some half-decent striker from League Two i.e. Andy Kirk). We don't need Elliott, he is 36 and IMO is not as good as Heath, Dabizas or Dublin. Benjamin is never going to get a chance and he won't be a big loss, neither will Scowcroft, as we have still got Connolly, Blake and Wright, as well as future signings, and Gillespie has all but cemented the right midfield positionas his own with some cracking performances. Ian Walker however, will be missed. He is a great player and loved by the supporters, but he too is well in his 30s and surely there are some better keepers about who we could sign on a much smaller wage.

Possible Replacements?

GK - Glyn Garner (Bury) Ex-Wales U21 international. Great shot-stopper. Has been watched by bigger clubs, but is currently out for a couple of months. My estimated cost, £60,000.

CB - I can't think of anyone at the moment, although I am sure there is plenty of good talent around somewhere.

2 Strikers - Andy Kirk (Boston) and Dave Nugent (Bury) Both young and raw and full of talent. We would probably get them both for around about the £100,000 mark.

AJ said:
kam said:

And do what??

What you seem to be saying is that they should put the club ahead of themselves and their families? Can you honestly say that you would do that, and taking the 'fans' glasses off - why should they?

The club didn't sign any of these players off the scrapheap but now most of them would struggle to find a decent new club.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with being a decent human being!

Of course it does

Every week they draw a wage it amounts to theft

I'm wondering whether the groundshare is funding on the basis of these players leaving and 4 million pounds being saved on the wagebill. :roll:

we cant get rid of them unless we pay them off on their contracts or in the unlikely event someone comes in for one of them and are willing to pay them comparable wages - i can only see walker being able to realisitically expect a hefty wage packet from another club. so we just have to put up with the wages until the summer

I suppose in a way it does amount to theft, and it makes it even worse when you are talking about the sums of money we are talking about here!

For that matter though you could say the same about any player who doesn't make an appearance in a first team match.

Noone was moaning at their contracts when they were playing and playing well. (with the possible exception of Benjamin).

While Scowcroft is playing, Benjamin, Elliott and Walker are either injured or are not being picked- but it isn't their fault that they aren't justifying their wage. You could argue that they did when the contracts were signed.

I suppose the fact of the matter is that its a crappy situation to be in which is not the players fault or the clubs current managements fault but there really isn't anything that can be done until their contracts have expired or they receive an offer from someone else (not very likely)!

it doesnt amount to theft - the club agreed to pay them those wages and the players signed contracts that they have every right to expect to be honoured. its a two way thing - the club didnt sign them out of the goodness of their hearts, they signed them because they hoped they would help the club be successful and make the club more money. also people talk about player loyalty - what about club loyalty? a few people on this forum have talked about shipping on matt heath cos they dont think hes good enough - the fact is football is sport (and a business) more driven by sporting and financial success than any other and the players are simply a part of that

i agree that football has gone mad financially and in a perfect world players would be loyal to their clubs and commit the sort of unselfish acts your asking for but it just isnt going to happen and its a sort of attitude that extends throughout our society - look at the ridiculous pay rises and bonuses execs in companies get even when their performing badly.

Mike Hunt Smells said:
I say we get rid of Walker, Elliott, Benjamin and Scowcroft, with the money generated from their wages going towards young players from lower divisions

And how exactly are we going to get rid of them?

Elliott was made available on a free transfer over two years ago. No one could afford to take him then, so there certainly won't be any takers now. You'll find the same thing with the others. Any club that wants them won't be able to pay them what they're earning now.

So unless we pay them to leave, it looks like we'll be stuck with those players until the end of the season.
The manager might decide to offer them new contracts, but on a lot less money than they're on at the moment. And if we can pay them a lot less, it might be worth keeping one or two of them.

i think its definitely worth keeping walker and scowy on about half what they are now - i dunno if either would consider it - walker could surely command a decent wage at a premiership club - wouldnt be surprised if fulham came in for him since van de sar is on the way out and crossleys so old, while scowy has attracted interest from 1 or 2 clubs. i wonder if matty will be given a coaching role??

Elliott & co should walk for the sake of their club?

Man If I was on even £15k a week, I'd have a better lifestyle than being unemployed or on a smaller wage of say £1-5k. If they left who would pay all their bills for their high profile lifestyles? We gave them the STUPID contracts fair play to them. Levein has to sit back & wait for them to run out meanwhile he can asses the whole squad & see who is worthy of wearing a Leicester shirt.

They are a burden but some idiotic board & manager gave them these contracts to begin with.

I'd start a fresh next season & let Walker, Benjamin, Scowcroft, Elliott, Gemmill, Keown, Pressman all walk. Dublin has impressed my in defence ,suprisingly & perhaps I'm the only one to say this. I'd keep him on another season.

I'd let Wilcox 'walk' but I doubt he can anymore.I'd be dubious as to wether Dublin as a season left in him besides that He's going to be looking for a coaching job as well next year,already had a word with National Express I believe

i'm not defending them but they only see a small amount of the cash now. if they're on 20k a week, it'll get paid to their holding company who will pay them a wage, to cover basic costs, cards etc etc and . hopefully guarantees for their long term future.

As I understand it, the players pay a high percentage of their salary into pensions, so they can guarantee a decent salary when they retire

lol highland fox, thats a point about wilcox. I forgot he was here!

I think clubs should let all these rubbish contracts run out & pay the guys purely on how well they perform. It would be a whole different ball game then. Would never happen though.

does anyone else find the excuse of a short career annoying for players getting ridiculous salaries? if you think a player on 30k a week is making more than most make in a year, and 52 or so weeks is the equivalent of 52 years of working life, excluding tax of course but still that isnt exactly going to have them begging through retirement. we should offer to name the west stand after matt in return for him jacking it all in.....sure his loyalty being repayed is enough!!

For Christ's sake realise the problem with high wages has been bought on the club by the previous board and Manager, these players signed contracts and were offered these extroadinarily high wages...if your manager offered you a massive salary and a lengthy contract to boot would you turn it down or agree to walk away from it halfway through ... No thought not.

Our club paid Elliott a decent wage based on the previous performances over the 3 seasons and at the time none of us argued, we were happy the club was showing ambition, Walker was in the England squad when he signed, again doubt many complained, the most disappointing aspect was that we were prepared to offer such astrinomical wages to Scowcroft and Benjiman when neither were proven at premiership level, that too me was disgraceful and proves the gross mismanagement that blighted the club in John Elsoms last 2 years as chairman.

These players are doing what every human being does....worrying about themselves and their families, and in this case our club is paying the penalty of trying to keep up with the Jones 's.

It pisses me off that so much money is tied up but the players are not to blame, Elsom and Taylor should have had the courage to tell them to piss off and not gamble the future of our beloved club...they are the tossers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566