Hampshire Pro40

Status
Not open for further replies.

leicsfoxes1

I see Masters and Pope are not included in tonight's squad.

You would assume that is it for them and they will be released at the end of the season. Would be daft to give either a new contract as they have not impressed.

Hoggy has been rested, which I think is right, as he has been in awesome form of late and deserves to rest up his niggling injury.

Anyone else know which players are out of contract at the end of the season? At least we know our two stand out youngsters, Taylor and Buck are still under contract.

I see Masters and Pope are not included in tonight's squad.

You would assume that is it for them and they will be released at the end of the season. Would be daft to give either a new contract as they have not impressed.

Hoggy has been rested, which I think is right, as he has been in awesome form of late and deserves to rest up his niggling injury.

Anyone else know which players are out of contract at the end of the season? At least we know our two stand out youngsters, Taylor and Buck are still under contract.

As I posted on another thread, I understand that three players were advised some weeks ago that they could / should look for other counties.

I don't think that it's fair to mention names when its not been announced - but two of them sounded logical and one rather surprising.

Actually turned into a decent game thanks to a cracking spell by Nathan buck. But hants big favourites now IMO needing 55 from 64 balls

Hants win. Rose bowl looked empty but that's the problem with county games at big grounds. But they are twenty20 champions, so might have expected a decent turnout.

Pretty happy with that performance really - the majority of our senior players were rested and we actually made a game of it.

Personally, I can't see futures for the following players.

Masters and Pope have not impressed.

Sam Cliff - despite some promising performances, seems to be eternally injured.

Harry Gurney - will be 24 next season and has not really pushed on after last years impressive T20 showings.

AJ Harris - Seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth - has he died of old age?

Wayne White - Sometimes I can't work this guy out - last season, I wasn't his biggest fan at all, then this year he started off with a bang with bat and ball - but since returning from injury he seems to have gone backwards. Is he worth keeping? I'm not sure.

Pretty happy with that performance really - the majority of our senior players were rested and we actually made a game of it.

Personally, I can't see futures for the following players.

Masters and Pope have not impressed.

Sam Cliff - despite some promising performances, seems to be eternally injured.

Harry Gurney - will be 24 next season and has not really pushed on after last years impressive T20 showings.

AJ Harris - Seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth - has he died of old age?

Wayne White - Sometimes I can't work this guy out - last season, I wasn't his biggest fan at all, then this year he started off with a bang with bat and ball - but since returning from injury he seems to have gone backwards. Is he worth keeping? I'm not sure.

AJ has gone out of the picture since Hoggard arrived and looks time expired.

Wayne White doesn't look like a first team player to me. He looks like a second teamer always destined to be on the fringe.

Harry Gurney sometimes gets knocked around a bit - but being a left armer provides a bit of variation. Is he going to improve?

Has Malik done enough to get a new contract?

Du Toit can bat aggressively and has had a decent season - but will he be seen as part of a long term future? I think he should be...but I just wonder....

Would Hoggard be better concentrating on bowling in the Championship - and 'resting' from the shorter formats? Is he suited to be a county captain?

Just some thoughts/ questions

AJ has gone out of the picture since Hoggard arrived and looks time expired.

Wayne White doesn't look like a first team player to me. He looks like a second teamer always destined to be on the fringe.

Harry Gurney sometimes gets knocked around a bit - but being a left armer provides a bit of variation. Is he going to improve?

Has Malik done enough to get a new contract?

Du Toit can bat aggressively and has had a decent season - but will he be seen as part of a long term future? I think he should be...but I just wonder....

Would Hoggard be better concentrating on bowling in the Championship - and 'resting' from the shorter formats? Is he suited to be a county captain?

Just some thoughts/ questions

I think du Toit has had a good season. He has forced his way into the championship team and responded with some well grafted runs. Reading between the lines, it doesn't look good for Jacques' prospects at County which I think is a shame. He'll probably end up at Glamorgan like a certain Mr Allenby.

I think du Toit has had a good season. He has forced his way into the championship team and responded with some well grafted runs. Reading between the lines, it doesn't look good for Jacques' prospects at County which I think is a shame. He'll probably end up at Glamorgan like a certain Mr Allenby.

I agree with you (tho' I wouldn't have a clue where he may end up). I think he is certainly amongst our best 11 players...but he will be 31 next season and that is a dangerous age for your bread and butter county player. Clubs tend to think along the lines of 'he won't get any better' and ' couldn't we pay a youngster less for about the same return'.

I agree with you (tho' I wouldn't have a clue where he may end up). I think he is certainly amongst our best 11 players...but he will be 31 next season and that is a dangerous age for your bread and butter county player. Clubs tend to think along the lines of 'he won't get any better' and ' couldn't we pay a youngster less for about the same return'.

I was just taking a wild guess at his potential destination. Players always seem to end up at counties they have performed well against. Du Toit smashed 144 against Glam in a one day game a couple of years back - I doubt they have forgot that and I can't imagine he would command a very high salary.

I think that Du Toit has improved massively this season whereas players like Boyce and White rarely show signs of progression.

Given that Jacques would not be on a high wage and he has proved himself in all competitions this year, it would be a huge disappointment to lose him. It seems every year (without knowing of the internal politics) that we lose our better players under a cloud. Jimmy Allenby, David Masters, Darren Maddy, Ottis Gibson are names that spring to mind.

I was just taking a wild guess at his potential destination. Players always seem to end up at counties they have performed well against. Du Toit smashed 144 against Glam in a one day game a couple of years back - I doubt they have forgot that and I can't imagine he would command a very high salary.

I think that Du Toit has improved massively this season whereas players like Boyce and White rarely show signs of progression.

Given that Jacques would not be on a high wage and he has proved himself in all competitions this year, it would be a huge disappointment to lose him. It seems every year (without knowing of the internal politics) that we lose our better players under a cloud. Jimmy Allenby, David Masters, Darren Maddy, Ottis Gibson are names that spring to mind.

Good cricketer taking account that we are short of batters.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe it will be important for him to have an impressive end of season.

It's not nice to advocate anyone in any walk of life losing their job - but if Leics need to prioritise on salaries then I would look at the coaching staff. Frankly, I don't think that they achieve a great deal. We have James Taylor who is clearly both talented and very determined and Nathan Buck who is doing very well.....but how much progress are the others making?

Sky did an interesting analyis of Buck's action.....the way he bowls looks like his ankle might snap at any moment, his right leg is all over the place. Another quality performance by him last night though, should be on an England Lions tour I suspect

Think he's improved so much, he is very consistent. When he first made the team to me he was the epitomy of the problem we had, he was an import (albeit English qualified) who added nothing more than a young Leicester lad could have done. But he's seen off the change in policy and got himself into the first team.

And he is a very big hitter for the Twenty20 and Pro40. And given that one of my guesses (hopefully incorrect) for the other names is Benning, that would leave us a bit light in one-day players.

I'm wondering too if Josh Cobb might be offered around. Certainly Matt Boyce, despite our reservations about his scoring, seems to have the support of the club (after all he was captain last night). And to be fair he won us the last but one game and nearly did the same against Middlesex.

Don't know how long Bennings contract is for, but I could see him possibly being offered around.

Having struggled with injuries and if my memory serves me right, has only played in one championship match all summer, what is the point in retaining him.

Boyce either has something on the management or the powers that be see something that we dont. Fair enough, in the last few weeks he has played some decent innings but can we really expect him to consistently perform like this. I think not. The excuse of him having potential and being a youngster will not wash anymore. He's 25 years old now! I would be very happy if his form continues like this but I just can't see it I'm afraid.

Typical of the Sky commentators, purring like kittens over the performances of Hampshire's youngsters, yet when it came to analysing the outstanding Nathan Buck, all they could do was pick holes in his bowling action. Yes, it could do with some work but the lad is just 19 years old and has taken nearly 40 championship wickets this season. Give Buckie some credit.

I should be used to it by now. We have never been fashionable or popular with the Sky mob and we never will be!

Don't know how long Bennings contract is for, but I could see him possibly being offered around.

Having struggled with injuries and if my memory serves me right, has only played in one championship match all summer, what is the point in retaining him.

Boyce either has something on the management or the powers that be see something that we dont. Fair enough, in the last few weeks he has played some decent innings but can we really expect him to consistently perform like this. I think not. The excuse of him having potential and being a youngster will not wash anymore. He's 25 years old now! I would be very happy if his form continues like this but I just can't see it I'm afraid.

Typical of the Sky commentators, purring like kittens over the performances of Hampshire's youngsters, yet when it came to analysing the outstanding Nathan Buck, all they could do was pick holes in his bowling action. Yes, it could do with some work but the lad is just 19 years old and has taken nearly 40 championship wickets this season. Give Buckie some credit.

I should be used to it by now. We have never been fashionable or popular with the Sky mob and we never will be!

If my memory serves me right, James Benning was given a two years contract which would cover the 2011 season i.e. he came on loan to the end of the 2009 season.

He can give the ball a bit of a crack but to me he never looks like he will stay in very long - that's when he is fit to play! It always looked a risky signing given his injury record and he isn't a patch on Allenby who they claimed he was to replace.

As for Boyce, he plays some nice shots and can look good (as left handers tend to do) - but his first class average is less than 30. He is obviously 'well in' with the establishment. I was surprised that he was made captain for a one dayer towards the end of the 2009 season - when there appeared to be a number of better qualified players in the team that day.

If my memory serves me right, James Benning was given a two years contract which would cover the 2011 season i.e. he came on loan to the end of the 2009 season.

He can give the ball a bit of a crack but to me he never looks like he will stay in very long - that's when he is fit to play! It always looked a risky signing given his injury record and he isn't a patch on Allenby who they claimed he was to replace.

As for Boyce, he plays some nice shots and can look good (as left handers tend to do) - but his first class average is less than 30. He is obviously 'well in' with the establishment. I was surprised that he was made captain for a one dayer towards the end of the 2009 season - when there appeared to be a number of better qualified players in the team that day.

I seem to recall a certain controversial former chief executive claiming that Benning was as good as Allenby at the time we signed him. I never believed that for a second and no matter how much it was dressed up, the whole Allenby affair was a shambles and very poorly handled.

I seem to recall a certain controversial former chief executive claiming that Benning was as good as Allenby at the time we signed him. I never believed that for a second and no matter how much it was dressed up, the whole Allenby affair was a shambles and very poorly handled.

It's going to be an interesting month or so as things become clearer about next season.

Is Hoggard really going to to continue as captain in all formats?

Wouldn't it be better if he concentrated on what he does best i.e. just bowling in the Championship games?

Is it possible to have a quality overseas player whose first priority is to play for Leics?

Is there any limit to the number of seasons that a head coach and team can just carry on regardless without any sign of achieving success?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669