Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheffield_fox

I have been very very impressed by this lad we've got on loan, Mr. Harper. I for one would like to see him offered a permanent contract if we can afford him, if not at least a loan until the end of the season. What does everyone else think?

He certainly sounded up for it at the weekend, but doesn't he have a history of injuries?
If he gets through Tuesday and Saturday home games with no probs and with the same level of commitment it would be hard to let him return to pompey.

Bassett has sent him back to Pompey as cannot guarantee him first team football. So now i question how many right wingers we have that have performed better than this guy. Looks like we are going back to Lord Scowcroft again

chrislcfc18 said:
Bassett has sent him back to Pompey as cannot guarantee him first team football. So now i question how many right wingers we have that have performed better than this guy. Looks like we are going back to Lord Scowcroft again

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Shocking!

If Bassett cant guarantee him first team football then how come he started on Saturday. The only other recognised right winger we have that i know of is Gillespie. Then there is scowcroft who plays there (and a swimming pool provides more width than him). So we are not exactly inundated with wingers.

Unless of course Canero and Morris are being looked at to play there

Fox Fan said:
chrislcfc18 said:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Shocking!

Truly fecking schocking. Bassett out. :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

seems very strange doesn't it?

just like the treatment adams gave to numerous players who were good enough to play in the 1st team one week, and then were shipped out the next. why did he start on saturday if he felt like that?!?!

SamJ

What the ****!? It sounded like Harper played really well again on Saturday? Why have we sent him back? That's so stupid!

That means we really only have Gillespie on the right, maybe Canero when he's fit :?

:shock: :shock: :shock: But Bassett is so experienced so he says.
What a complete moron and where was he when MA was struggling?
Harper looked really good and was a great supplier of crosses.
BASSETT IS A COMPLETE SELF OPINIONATED PRAT. AS FOR WILKO i HAVE NEVER HAD SO MANY MATES OF OTHER PERSUASION LAUGH SO MUCH

This is un-believeable. Against Rotherham he was superb, quick strong and wasn't afraid to have a pop at goal. Unlucky and got injured. Started on saturday, within the opening 3 or 4 mins made a blistering run and nearly scored a fantastic goal. Would have been a very influentual player.

Bassett / Wilkinson = Lost the plot on this one.

Let's all take a step back and look at this decision with cool, clear heads... :?

The biggest problem I can see with our current squad is a complete lack of competent full backs. We've got three left sided players (OK, two now that Wilcox is injured, and I'm not counting Morris because, well....) - they are all better suited to play on the left of midfield rather than at left back. In my opinion they've all been filling in there - Stewart is never a left back, and whilst Tiatto can do a job there we'd all like to see him further up the pitch.

The same can be said for the right side. Canero, whilst able to fill in at right back, is much better going forward, and Gillespie is not a right back at all (some might say he's not a winger either, but...) - so that leaves Makin as the only genuine full back in the squad.

We also have (I know, I know) the one and only Scowcroft who can fill in on either side of midfiled, and also (yes, I know!) Tricky Trev. Neither are ideal, but again, both are paid for and available and can 'do a job'.

So, if we are to look to the future (as we must) surely the prioity right now is to bring in a full back or two (or three).

Harper has obviously been great, but he's only on loan. Who knows what his wages would be, what his transfer fee would be, and whether we can afford either of them. And if our priority is to bring in full backs, then even though on current form he's our best winger, Harper is the obvious casualty as, whether we like it or not, we're committed to Gillespie and Canero for the longer term, and more importantly, they're paid for (or at least budgeted for). Gillespie is still available on a free, I assume, but obviously nobody wants him. And I don't hear the doors at Filbo Way being beaten upon for Canero's signature either.

So, in our current financial plight, I'm afraid it makes sense to release Harper. I'd much rather we were able to keep him, sell Gillespie, and buy a few more full backs, but we just haven't got the cash. And I think that not adequately replacing Sinclair, Thatcher and Davidson was Micky's biggest mistake this season, as playing wingers as full backs just isn't working, and it ultimately cost Micky his job.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Can't agree there, mate
It's a decision of complete blind idiocy

WHAT THE F*CK ARE YOU THINKING BASSETT, YOU STUPID GREAT C*CK ?

This is lunacy of the highest order. He has been one of our best players in the 2 games he has played. He has been lively, pacey and set opportunities up which I cant remember anyone else doing from our flanks this season.

If this is to do with budget then ffs say so dont use the well oiled filbert way phrase 'cant guarantee him first team football' when hes been in the first team at every opportunity. (Keown anyone)

Find this one a difficult one to explain. Picked in new managers first game in charge to be then told a day later he is no longer wanted, could it be that Bassett has somebody else lined up or are we further down the line in appointing a new manager than we possibly thought and this might be there decision.

IMO we should have kept Harper and got rid of Gemmill, although I do agree that we need a couple of full backs in the squad.

Why is everyone so against Scowy on the wing?

He has been performing consistantly well this season and IS our top goal scorer. He played a major part in our goal on Sat and in all fairness although Harper played welll, Scowy produced the goods!

DesertFox said:
Let's all take a step back and look at this decision with cool, clear heads... :?

The biggest problem I can see with our current squad is a complete lack of competent full backs. We've got three left sided players (OK, two now that Wilcox is injured, and I'm not counting Morris because, well....) - they are all better suited to play on the left of midfield rather than at left back. In my opinion they've all been filling in there - Stewart is never a left back, and whilst Tiatto can do a job there we'd all like to see him further up the pitch.

The same can be said for the right side. Canero, whilst able to fill in at right back, is much better going forward, and Gillespie is not a right back at all (some might say he's not a winger either, but...) - so that leaves Makin as the only genuine full back in the squad.

We also have (I know, I know) the one and only Scowcroft who can fill in on either side of midfiled, and also (yes, I know!) Tricky Trev. Neither are ideal, but again, both are paid for and available and can 'do a job'.

So, if we are to look to the future (as we must) surely the prioity right now is to bring in a full back or two (or three).

Harper has obviously been great, but he's only on loan. Who knows what his wages would be, what his transfer fee would be, and whether we can afford either of them. And if our priority is to bring in full backs, then even though on current form he's our best winger, Harper is the obvious casualty as, whether we like it or not, we're committed to Gillespie and Canero for the longer term, and more importantly, they're paid for (or at least budgeted for). Gillespie is still available on a free, I assume, but obviously nobody wants him. And I don't hear the doors at Filbo Way being beaten upon for Canero's signature either.

So, in our current financial plight, I'm afraid it makes sense to release Harper. I'd much rather we were able to keep him, sell Gillespie, and buy a few more full backs, but we just haven't got the cash. And I think that not adequately replacing Sinclair, Thatcher and Davidson was Micky's biggest mistake this season, as playing wingers as full backs just isn't working, and it ultimately cost Micky his job.

I agree with you, as much as i hate to admit that we have a really porr fianacial position.

Not the best news I've heard today but let's look for a positive......................(still looking!)....................
Last time Harper played on a Saturday, he wasn't available on the Tuesday, we went on to win 3 -2.
He played Satdy, not available tomorrow. We'll win 3 -2.
8) 8)

It cant be financial or he would not have been here in the first place.
It another example of the crap we have had to put up with since bassett has been at the club.

I hope the board have more ambition than bassett

DesertFox said:

Some good argument there but it begs the question: Has this club got any real ambition?

Words, like statistics, can say all things to all people but who among our directors, managers and coaches - individually or collectively - are really determined and/or really able to make things exciting again for the fans.

The Walkers might shine like a beacon on the outside but inside it's in danger of resembling one of those ancient steam engine scrapyards ... full of once fairly glamorous workhorses, but now just a testimony to the ravages of time.

Bassett and Wilkinson, remind me of the "old clanks" that used to pull the freight trains on a single line through Ratby - reliable enough, hardworking enough but never glamorous enough for anything but the branch lines.

How we need someone with imagination, flair and energy to take our club forward - a Harry Rednapp type wheeler/dealer or a youthful master tactician... could Keown be that man if Newell's not keen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669