Has Darius Vassell fulfilled your expectations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Anglia Fox

This post made me think.

http://talkingballs.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1020716&postcount=8

When Darius Vassell signed, I was quite excited, and thought there was a real chance he would be absolutely lethal at this level and would have scored about 10 to 15 goals by the end of the season.

It doesn't look like this is going to happen. However, there are lots of moments when it's clear that he has considerable skill, and I noticed this from the outset. What I don't think is very clear is what his contribution to the team is supposed to be. Is he a right-winger? Is he he part of a three-man attacking line and therefore should be expected to score more goals considering his playing time?

Another point to consider is, had Vassell scored prolifically following on the Doncaster game, would we still have signed Yakubu?

Re: Has Darius Vassell fulfiled your expectations?

To be quite frank, the pointing work he did on the extension was shocking.

there are lots of moments when it's clear that he has considerable skill, and I noticed this from the outset.

I agree. However, when he came there was much discussion about his lack of a proper pre-season and his lack of match fitness. To be fair, I would have expected by now that he would have performed a little better than he has.

Another point to consider is, had Vassell scored prolifically following on the Doncaster game, would we still have signed Yakubu?

Vassell has never been a prolific goalscorer and I didn't expect him to be in this division either.

However his goals return is bordering on the abysmal, even taking into account the role he's played.

I think it's hard to evaluate him due to his time in the footballing wilderness. We will have a much better idea next season what he is still capable of (or not capable of).

And yes, he's not been a real goal threat for a number of years, so evaluating him on goals might be a bit misleading.

This post made me think.

http://talkingballs.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1020716&postcount=8

Didn't Yakubu sign just a couple of games after that?

Vassell hadn't really done anything until from he signed up until he got moved up front in the Doncaster game, and then he looked awesome in that central role.

For me, he just doesn't fit into that wing role, and I've not been particularly impressed with him this season when I've seen him. Glimpses and flashes that have shown he has real quality, but they've not been nearly frequent enough. If he's a winger, then his supply to the front hasn't been good enough, and as a striker he's not scored enough.

His contract runs through next season though, right? I think that the lack of pre-season is excuse is a bit generous, as he's had quite a while with us now. BUT, we'll see what difference that makes next season.

I think he'd have been better for us in a more traditional 4-4-2 though, where he can play with a strike partner rather than in the wingforward role he's been doing this season.

He's not been terrible, just not as good as I'd have hoped. Jury is still out a bit for me.

Something I was thinking yesterday though... who would've believed a year or two ago... or even in August... that by the end of the season we'd have a front three of Yakubu, Kamara and Vassell? It looks great on paper.

Vassell is fast. That is all.

He holds the ball up better than I've seen any other Leicester play do for years. A very underrated player who plays a great, unselfish role in the team and who has been played largely out of position for us (as Graz said, he looked awesome when played as a loan striker).

Last edited:
He holds the ball up better than I've seen any other Leicester play do for years. A very underrated player who plays a great, unselfish role in the team and who has been played largely out of position for us (as Graz said, he looked awesome when played as a loan striker).
:icon_conf

I've been happy with him. The fact that he cannot usually last much longer than 60 mins makes me think he's still struggling for fitness.

When he's on the ball he's probably one of, if not the most skillful player we have. In the matches that I saw him playing centrally he was far and away the best player on the pitch. The only time he's put in that sort of performance on the wing was against Cov.

A fit Vassell runs about, puts defenders under pressure, wins headers but there's stages of this season he's looked unfit or injured and his performance showed this.

He's clearly a favourite of Svens as despite some poor performances, I can't remember him ever being dropped.

don't think he's THAT effective on the wing/out right.....up front i think he would be deadly.

He's ever so slightly a bit shite really, though, isn't he ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669