Healthy Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
Following a minor scare last week, I am now embarking on a new eating regime.

Out goes all the crap, and in comes all the supposedly healthy stuff. Instead of snacking on nonsense throught the day, I'm going to be snacking on nuts, seeds and fruits etc.

My job dictates that daytime sit down meals are not really ideal, so snacks are the way I have to go. Previously I have been eating nothing all day and then pigging my face when I get home, which isn't ideal. Failing that I have been eating McDonalds or shitty pasties during the daytime.

My diet wasn't the cause of my "scare", but it certainly needs to be improved.

What I'd like to know is this; Where the bloody hell can I get decent stocks of nuts and seeds from (and the like)? I can buy small 125g in Tescos etc but it's bloody expensive. I don't want mixes, just individual items that I can create my own mixes with.

How the hell do people eat healthy and afford it?

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

How much water do you drink, melts? People do not realise the importance of the stuff.
2 litres a day for the average person is good, more if you're energetic.

Some people reach for tea/coffee when thirsty, not good. Also, if you put cordial/juice into your water, just check out the crap content, sugar,saccharin etc.

If you do start nibbling on nuts etc (ooer Matron), just checkout the crap content, fats etc.

if you intend to embark on a healthy eating regime, then you do need to look into how you can fit in at least 3 meals a day( I say at least 3 cos 5 -6 small meals/healthy snacks would be better).

Mum used to say, set yourself up for the day with a good breakfast, how very true.

It's all about moderation...

If you would like to know more, pm me

It is a good point H T B. mg keeps telling me I don't drink enough water. I am making steps to drink more.

Sounds bloody stupid, but it aint easy to drink lots of water.

Last edited:
Keep an empty 2 litre bottle and refill it with water each day and keep it in the fridge - an easy way to keep tabs on how much you're drinking.

Keep an empty 2 litre bottle and refill it with water each day and keep it in the fridge - an easy way to keep tabs on how much you're drinking.
I don't need to, I've got a posh fridge that gives me water without having to open it :icon_bigg

It doesn't however tell me how much I've consumed.

Which is the whole point of my post :icon_roll
But it wouldn't help. I'd just look at the bottle and say "Oh well, not enough for today" and shut the door.

Needs to be easier.

Sounds bloody stupid, bit it aint easy to drink lots of water.

Very true, to go from 1 -2 glasses to 8 a day has to be built up gradually.

The body exretes approx 1.7 litres of water a day, it needs replacing.

Majority of people are actually dehydrated, they only drink when thirsty, too late you're already dehydrated.

Some people suffer from headaches daily, one of many signs of dehydration.

Also, you can actually lose weight by changing your drinking habits and drinking more water. One gent we know, lost 8lb in 2 month, just by changing to water.

Try it and see, it can only do you good!

Try it and see, it can only do you good!
I will, thank you.

Never understood the 8 glasses thing though. I have some Jack Daniels shot glasses, I presume it would be incorrect to use them.

Wear something like this then, but replace the cans with water bottles, lazy bloody oik!!! :icon_wink

09455_a_t.jpg

Can anyone explain whats wrong with drinking tea?

I've heard tea no sugar is good for you, anti oxidents etc. The cafine content is much lower than coffee. But some suggest it is not good for rehydration?

Should I be posting this on here or the New Scientist members forum?

I've heard tea no sugar is good for you, anti oxidents etc. The cafine content is much lower than coffee. But some suggest it is not good for rehydration?

I personally think the worry over tea and coffee is an exagerated one.

I drink gallons of the stuff, it's never done me any harm :icon_bigg

I think you should ask BG for tips on healthy eating :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Coffee and tea do still rehydrate you - just not as much as water, etc. Therefore you need to drink more tea and coffee to attain the same amount of hydration.

Coffee and tea do still rehydrate you - just not as much as water, etc. Therefore you need to drink more tea and coffee to attain the same amount of hydration.
Now that's my kinda theory.

2 litres of water or 4 litres of coffee. No brainer, kettle's on.

Tea/Coffee are Diarretics (sp) basically, i.e, they make you thirstier, and do not rehydrate you like you think.
However, if you drink green tea, that counts towards your 8 glasses a day.

I drink from 1/2 litre bottles with the flip top. Fit nicely in the cupholder in the car, store nicely in the fridge.

Tea/Coffee are Diarretics (sp) basically, i.e, they make you thirstier, and do not rehydrate you like you think.
However, if you drink green tea, that counts towards your 8 glasses a day.

I drink from 1/2 litre bottles with the flip top. Fit nicely in the cupholder in the car, store nicely in the fridge.
I've read research that the diarretic properties of tea and coffee are miniscule compared to the amount of water in the cup.

As a result, you are actually being hydrated rather than dehydrated. But as FryattFox pointed out, it's less than you would with a normal cup of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46