Healthy Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melts, I could recommend a great curry house just around the corner from Rock City. Let me know if you want the details.

Melts, I could recommend a great curry house just around the corner from Rock City. Let me know if you want the details.
I'll be at Rock City in just over an hour. Bet it's not as nice as my nuts.

Find a shop called Julian Graves (I think) - sell seeds, nuts etc in larger quantities - think its a bit like an old sweet shop and they weigh it out for you. There used to be one within the Haymarket Shopping Centre I think.

It's in the Haymarket - often the place of schoolboy pranks and lads asking the assistant if they sell nuts

Tea is very good for you! But don't put milk in it or you lose most of the antioxidant properties. In fact, if you use good quality loose leaf tea you won't have to doctor the taste with sugar, milk, lemon, etc.

Most people in Britain don't know that the tea they drink in the much celebrated brands such as Typhoo, Tetley, PG Tips and Yorkshire Tea is complete crap. Mass-produced, machine-harvested rubbish. The reason the tea bag was invented (by an American) was a way to reuse the "dust and fannings" that were otherwise discarded whilst producing whole leaf tea.

Green tea is higher in antioxidants than black tea, but white tea is best. However most people fall into the trap of thinking they have to drink green or white tea to get the health benefits, even though they don't like it much. In reality, the best tea for your health is the one you're actually going to drink regularly - three cups of black tea contain more antioxidants than half a cup of green tea.

And finally on this tea rant, if you've not tried loose leaf tea recently/ever, do so, and try an ooolong tea. This is between green and black in taste and is generally considered the favourite tea of the connoisseur. My personal favourite would be a Wuyi Mountain Oolong (aka Wu Yi Rock Tea) such as Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe). You'll never drink an "English Breakfast" tea ever again!

Last edited:
Putting milk or sugar into tea should be a criminal offence.

Thing about healthy eating is moderation in everything and keep eating and drinking varied stuff.
And also pure luck, depending on who you are.

I used to work with a bloke 20 yrs younger than me who used to drink several litres of water every day and he was no fitter/healthier than me drinking litres of coffee.

Just be sensible in your food intake. Be happy. Have a pie.

It's all the processed rubbish that's the problem these day's. Nobody seems to want to prepare a dinner using fresh produce, instead going for the crap that's wrapped up in the supermarkets. I don't claim to lead a healthy lifestyle (I smoke, I drink and I eat what I want when I want) but I do cook using fresh veg and meat from the butcher's.

Also, as has already been said, breakfast is vital for maintaining a balanced diet. I was 10 1/2 stone wet through for years and couldn't work out why, considering I ate loads, I couldn't put on any weight. My doc quizzed me and found out that I was going through to lunchtime before eating my first meal, by which time I was starving and needed to gorge out. I started eating breakfast, having a smaller lunch and in three months I had put on a stone. And in a seperate case my mate (who was 16 stone) also had the same problem of no breakfast and then gorging. He started eating breakfast then a smaller lunch and he is now 14 stone. So it works both ways.

Not when you have them every day :078:
As nice as my curries are, I couldn't eat them every day either!!

I like to have something different, and I love to cook. What I really miss about my time between jobs was taking a walk into Blaby, and buying fresh meat, and other ingredients, then cooking something really nice for myself and the other half. I bet he secretly misses it too. :icon_wink

I like to have something different, and I love to cook. What I really miss about my time between jobs was taking a walk into Blaby, and buying fresh meat, and other ingredients, then cooking something really nice for myself and the other half. I bet he secretly misses it too. :icon_wink
Dole Bludger's should be in Asda buying 2p sausages and scratting around on the floor for loose change. Fresh meat indeed :icon_roll

There was some recent research which has said it's not that important to drink as much water as has been previously thought, I'll see if I can find the details.

Dr Jeff. While you're divulging your nuggets of wisdom I'd quite like to know whether to take multivitamins or not...

I reckon if fat people didn't eat so much, then they wouldn't be so fat.

Take notice, Fatties, I think I'm on to something here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47