Heating your house

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have to baste my house with hot water, much like a roast chicken in order to keep it warm

Doesn't that mess with your sleep patterns a lot? I couldn't sleep well if it was still lightish at midnight.

Rarely go to bed before midnight,don't get home til 9pm if i'm working.I don't sleep these days anyway

Last edited:
Doesn't that mess with your sleep patterns a lot? I couldn't sleep well if it was still lightish at midnight.
They're usually too drunk to notice what time of day it is up there...

Like Iceland then?

I suspected the average Icelander's mind is fecked at 3am every Summer's day...still as much light as 11am in the morning.

Not really they just have very thick lined curtains in all the rooms that let virtually no light into the rooms.

Electric storage heaters traditionally have a bad rep for being costly to run and difficult to control. TBH they have become more efficient in recent years and much easier to control. So really it depends on how old the system is. Some of the modern flat developments are moving back to electric as it can be difficult to get the gas supplies to every flat (recent changes in legislation say that the gas supply has to run on the outside of the building and then into the flat, meaning ugly pipe all over the face of buildings). There are some very good modern electric systems but if it was my house, I wouldn’t entertain the storage heaters as I have friends who have them and hate them.

I would agree with that. I have storage heaters though and they are very effective, so much so I generlly only ever need 1 on to heat the whole flat. I don't find them excess in terms of cost either. That said they are relatively new, 3 years old

I would agree with that. I have storage heaters though and they are very effective, so much so I generlly only ever need 1 on to heat the whole flat. I don't find them excess in terms of cost either. That said they are relatively new, 3 years old

The problem can be that you will only get out of a storage heater what you have put into it. If the weather suddenly turns cold, you might find that they fall short - and equally in an unexpected mild spell, you might be paying for heat that you don't need.

The problem can be that you will only get out of a storage heater what you have put into it. If the weather suddenly turns cold, you might find that they fall short - and equally in an unexpected mild spell, you might be paying for heat that you don't need.

Agree with that, they are equally good at providing 'general heat' as a radiator IMO but they are nowhere near as responsive.

Agree with that, they are equally good at providing 'general heat' as a radiator IMO but they are nowhere near as responsive.

I would agree with that - though modern ones are much more controlable than in the past. When we had them many years ago we found the regime of overheated early mornings and chilly evenings a nightmare. The other problem was that if there was a power cut the heating took a couple of days to get up to normal levels, and the timer on the meters got out of synch so that they were charging & discharging at the wrong times.

More recently my mother, who had no alternative, used hers to provide a very low level of background heat, using supplementary heating as necessary, but that obviously gets more expensive.

Storage heating works best where there is a large central heat store from which ducted air heating can be run, but that really needs to be fitted when the house is built.

If you have no alternative but to have electric heating then you could have electric radiators that have an oil fill. These are like the stand alone ones you can buy at argos but are wall mounted like a wet radiator and are wired into the mains wiring for the house, should be more controllable and more like the traditional wet radiators.

There are even some eletric powered boilers on the market but I have no experience of these and have only heard of them on the "grape vine".

A great idea are the gas fired boilers that produce electricity, ill definitely be looking at one of those when mine requires changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46