Help please.......train buffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brauny Blue

I would like to go to the Crucible in Sheffield for the snooker world championships. Can any of you knowledgeable train people advise me on a trip to Sheffield for Tuesday 22nd April. The play is scheduled to start at 10.00am so i would need to arrive in Sheffield probaly no later than 9.00am. Is this feasible with it being rush hour or would i be better off finding another way there.

Your help would be much appreciated:)

I would like to go to the Crucible in Sheffield for the snooker world championships. Can any of you knowledgeable train people advise me on a trip to Sheffield for Tuesday 22nd April. The play is scheduled to start at 10.00am so i would need to arrive in Sheffield probaly no later than 9.00am. Is this feasible with it being rush hour or would i be better off finding another way there.

Yes, this is possible. Would you like to return ?? If so, what date and time ?

7:35 from Leicester, arrives 09:05. Unfortunately all the cheapest seats have long gone. £24.50 Standard Open Single. £37.50 First Open Single.

When would you be coming back?

Last edited:
7:35 from Leicester, arrives 09:05. Unfortunately all the cheapest seats have long gone. £24.50 Standard Open Single. £37.50 First Open Single.

When would you be coming back?

The extra £5 is worth it BB, go 1st class

£5? I make it 13

O.K folks. My crucible tickets are confirmed so i'm defo going.
Slightly confused with the feedback here.
If BG says its an extra £5, does that make the standard open single £32.50 as opposed to Bocs £24.50:102:. Is that a one way price :102: as i intend to return to Leicester in the afternoon.
Also would i need to book in advance to get those prices:102:. The 9.05 arrival sounds good.:)

If BG says its an extra £5, does that make the standard open single £32.50 as opposed to Bocs £24.50:102:. Is that a one way price :102: as i intend to return to Leicester in the afternoon.
Also would i need to book in advance to get those prices:102:. The 9.05 arrival sounds good.:)

The prices Boc quoted are correct, he edited after BG's reply.

Standard open tickets don't need to be booked in advance, but if the train will be busy you can reserve a seat if you book in advance. Don't know how busy that train is though.

The standard open return fare is £36.50. You might be able to save a little by buying the ticket for the Sheffield to Leicester journey in advance, but for the amount you save it's probably not going to be worth it as you'll lose the flexibility of having an open ticket.

You could also save a couple of quid by buying separate tickets from Leicester to Derby, then Derby to Sheffield.

Last edited:
The prices Boc quoted are correct, he edited after BG's reply.

Standard open tickets don't need to be booked in advance, but if the train will be busy you can reserve a seat if you book in advance. Don't know how busy that train is though.

The standard open return fare is £36.50. You might be able to save a little by buying the ticket for the Sheffield to Leicester journey in advance, but for the amount you save it's probably not going to be worth it as you'll lose the flexibility of having an open ticket.

You could also save a couple of quid by buying separate tickets from Leicester to Derby, then Derby to Sheffield.

Excuse my ignorance Jeff, but what exactly is the terminology of an ' open ticket '

The cheapest option would be if you changed tickets at Nottingham.

A Leicester to Nottingham standard day return is £8.70, and a Nottingham to Sheffield standard day return is £12.90, total price £21.60.

Whilst that is obviously cheaper, it may well complicate things with arrival time. I dont mind paying more so long as we can get to the crucible on time.

It's the least restrictive ticket you can get, there are no restrictions on the time you can travel, and you can return any time within 30 days. No need to buy in advance.

I see, so basically you are paying full wack for that sort of ticket:102:

Whilst that is obviously cheaper, it may well complicate things with arrival time.

You can go on the same train.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but even though a ticket from Leicester to Nottingham is cheaper than one from Leicester to Derby, the Leicester to Nottingham one is valid if you change trains in Derby. Same thing with the Nottingham to Sheffield ticket, it's also valid if you change at Derby.

So you would get on the Leicester to Sheffield train, use the Leicester to Nottingham ticket to get as far as Derby, stay on the train, and use the Nottingham to Sheffield ticket for the rest of the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46