Speculation Heskey - Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All your troubles seemed so far away?

But Heskey's name confirms they're here to stay.

Two words for you, Paul Dickov.

Again, different. Heskey has cut a career in the top flight of English football since he broke through with us. I'm not saying we should sign him but I don't think he could be completely ineffective at a lower level.

So Emile thinks he's finally reached an age when he would be prepared to play for us.

Unfortunately, it's the same age that means he is well passed it to add anything worthwhile to our strike force.

I don't think he ever achieved the potential that he showed when he played for us and about the last thing we need is him lumbering around now. Some strikers who are deadly finishers retain a value well into their mid/ late 30's. i don't think Heskey falls into that category - he was never a top finisher even at his best.

Never achieved his potential!?! How many caps has he got for England?

Do people not realise we are Leicester City, a mediocore team at the second level of English football?

Never achieved his potential!?! How many caps has he got for England?

Do people not realise we are Leicester City, a mediocore team at the second level of English football?

I don't know if you saw Heskey when he played for Leicester but in my opinion he gave an impression that he might develop into being a world class player - combining pace and power and with signs that he might in the future score lots of goals. I guess that Liverpool signed him for a fair few bob exactly on that basis.

He's been a useful but not outstanding player since at international level - and for the past couple of years looked on the way out.

As for Leicester being a mediocre team - you've
noticed then? Please don't spread this around because we are on the verge of that time of year when I will be reading posts promising that we will p-ss our way to automatic promotion next season. But irrespective signing the likes of Emile will guarantee we remain mediocre.

Unfortunately, it's the same age that means he is well passed it to add anything worthwhile to our strike force.

In fairness passing was never his best attribute never mind passing 'well'.

Yeah I noted that not long after we moved stadiums which is why I've not bothered to get a season ticket in the past ~8yrs, I did however have one for 10+yrs prior so would have seen big EH play quite a bit.

He may not score 100's of goals himself but he almost defines the term 'strike partnership'. He may also be the butt of a lot of jokes however many Liverpool fans would quite happily jump in a DeLorean and go back to the days of Heskey & Owen, likewise with England fans as they have been the most successful partnership of recent times.

Individually he has his drawbacks but football is a team game and Heskey is exactly that - a team player which is what we have been lacking for the past 2-3 yrs as there is no denying we have individually tallented players but they can't play as a team for shit!

I'm not saying he would be the answer to all our problems but I do think he would add quite a lot to the team and feel that people are quite harsh on him just because they read a few nonesense stats about him in the paper or hear a joke about him down the pub. He's played at the top of English football for his whole career (bar one half season??) and is in the top 40 capped players for his country so for anyone to say he is shit doesn't really understand the game of football in my opinion and if that was my career I was looking back on, I certainly wouldn't class myself as being an underachiever.

many Liverpool fans would quite happily jump in a DeLorean

Exactly.

A 27 year old Heskey would never come here.

A 34 year old Heskey is not wanted here.

And before anyone says (again), he's only been playing at PL level recently as he was given a ridiculous length and term contract when he signed for Villa, and they've got an absolutely terrible squad.

EH has been the most over criticised player on the face of the planet in the last 10 years and I'd love to see him at KP next season. I think he'd be brilliant in the Champ.

EH has been the most over criticised player on the face of the planet in the last 10 years and I'd love to see him at KP next season. I think he'd be brilliant in the Champ.

Sentiment is all well and good. But on what do you base the feeling that he would be brilliant ?

Exactly.

A 27 year old Heskey would never come here.

A 34 year old Heskey is not wanted here.

And before anyone says (again), he's only been playing at PL level recently as he was given a ridiculous length and term contract when he signed for Villa, and they've got an absolutely terrible squad.

We don't need a 27 yr old Heskey though otherwise he would just get taken off our hands again. The point I was trying to emphasize was that both Liverpool & England haven't had as good a strike partnership since then, they may have had individuals who have scored more than Heskey but they haven't been as good overall.

We'll probably have to agree to disagree on this but I don't agree with your final statement either as if he wasn't at Villa, either the old or current Sunderland managers would have both been willing to snap him up because they both worked with him for many years and realise how much he can bring to a team. I fully expect the current Sunderland manager to be trying to sign him this summer this summer and would have no doubt he would prove his worth there which is why he could easily offer us more than what we have now.

We don't need a 27 yr old Heskey though otherwise he would just get taken off our hands again. The point I was trying to emphasize was that both Liverpool & England haven't had as good a strike partnership since then, they may have had individuals who have scored more than Heskey but they haven't been as good overall.

We'll probably have to agree to disagree on this but I don't agree with your final statement either as if he wasn't at Villa, either the old or current Sunderland managers would have both been willing to snap him up because they both worked with him for many years and realise how much he can bring to a team. I fully expect the current Sunderland manager to be trying to sign him this summer this summer and would have no doubt he would prove his worth there which is why he could easily offer us more than what we have now.

If the Mackems think he can do it for them, I don't we should stand in their way.

Best of luck to them.

And to him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673