Holloway to learn fate on Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG

Can't believe people want the Harry Bassett, Ron Atkinson, old finished been there done that type of manager.

Where's my shotgun.

OMG

Can't believe people want the Harry Bassett, Ron Atkinson, old finished been there done that type of manager.

Where's my shotgun.

Its under your bed.

Not saying we need a grandad in charge, just saying that going for another "risk" manager is not the best choice. We may as well stick with Holloway if that is our plan!

I do not see the appeal of Mike Newell if I am honest. No better or worse than Holloway so why make a change for changes sake.

Oh thats right caus Newell used to play for City - so what? Doesn't mean feck all, other than giving the fans false hope.

Because IH has messed up here and Newell etc... hasn't yet.

I do not see the appeal of Mike Newell if I am honest.
I'm sure worse people than myself would label Newell a crook, a cheat, a liability and a liar.

I'm sure people some people might also wonder why on Earth Newell was selling his best players at Luton. Some might say it's because he was under orders, others might say it was because he was getting a nice percentage of the transfer fee.

Some people would say the guy is horrible piece of work and wouldn't welcome him anywhere near their club.

I'm sure worse people than myself would label Newell a crook, a cheat, a liability and a liar.

I'm sure people some people might also wonder why on Earth Newell was selling his best players at Luton. Some might say it's because he was under orders, others might say it was because he was getting a nice percentage of the transfer fee.

Some people would say the guy is horrible piece of work and wouldn't welcome him anywhere near their club.

He'll get on with our current chairman then!!

My preference list:-
Ince -(although doubt he would leave MKDons)
Newell (ex fox available and his teams try and play good football)
Grayson -as Newell but not readily available (although reported to be unsettled)
Holloway- I wasnt happy when appointed but i was beginning to warm/ be taken-in by him although i now question his abilities
Dowie - seems to be a favourite of MM
Davies - available and probably a good manager but i just dont like the man

Out of that list i think Grayson would gel the best with MM and be a safe bet with the fans.
Over to you Milan!

Last edited:
I wouldnt mind taking Newell or Grayson as manager but i just the the worst feeling that IH is going to stay on as Leicester manager, does anyone have that same thought?

My order for that lot would be:

Ince
Grayson
Davies
Newell
Dowie
Holloway

I'd add Darren Ferguson to that list as well (quite near the top). And as ridiculous as it sounds, and as futile as it would probably be, I'd sound out Big Sam first (or after Ince has turned us down)... he had a bad experience at a big club after leaving the comfortable mid-sized club that gave him the opportunity to build from a similar position to where we are now. Maybe it would suit him (but maybe MM wouldn't).... ?

I wouldnt mind taking Newell or Grayson as manager but i just the the worst feeling that IH is going to stay on as Leicester manager, does anyone have that same thought?

Probably over analysing but:

He's got the meeting with Mad Mandy and Gary Penrice (according to IH). Why would GP be there is he was just going to get sacked? GP is his player recruitment fella so maybe more likely it will be a planning talk rather than a firing talk?

As it is probably doubtful we could get Ince at the moment I still think we should go for Grayson and try to get Little in as DOF. They both get on very well and would leave Little in the position of tackling MM on a day to day basis. Should hopefully leave Grayson to concentrate on the team without major interference from the chairman. It would be good for Grayson to go to an experienced head for any help should he need it.

I would like to think that Little would jump at the chance to come back as he is on a hiding to nothing at Wrexham. The one thing that he would insist on is better discipline within the camp which is one of the crucial factors if we are to bounce back at the first attempt. Grayson has already proved he can get a team out of DIV 3. If he is unsettled as rumours suggest we could well be a good chance for him to further himself in management.

Just on the point of MM I hope whoever is appointed (assuming IH is rightly on his way) he concentrates on the business side which he knows best and leaves the football side to the manager and his staff.

Probably over analysing but:

He's got the meeting with Mad Mandy and Gary Penrice (according to IH). Why would GP be there is he was just going to get sacked? GP is his player recruitment fella so maybe more likely it will be a planning talk rather than a firing talk?

Penrice and Olly are best buddies, so presumably the fate of GP lies with the fate of Olly.

Why on earth would we take a gamble on another "up and coming" manager??

Rob Kelly, Gerry Taggert, Craig Levein were all the supposed to be the next big managers in football - and what happened?

I don't think anyone expected them to be 'the next big manager'.

And it depends what you mean by 'up and coming'. If you mean a manager with no experience at all, that would be a gamble.

But a young manager with a couple of years experience in the lower divisions would not be such a gamble.

We might not have any choice in the matter. Managers who are experienced and successful are likely to be managing at a higher level and will be unlikely to want to drop down to our current level.

So if we want an experienced manager we may have to choose from those who have not been successful. I'd rather gamble on someone up and coming than get someone experienced who is a proven failure.

I'm sure Leeds would have liked to get someone with lots of success and experience. They ended up with Gary McAllister. The trees would have liked someone with success and experience. They got Colin Calderwood.

We have to accept that while we may be a big fish in division three, we are now a division three club, and we shouldn't expect managers or players to come here when they could be at a higher level.

Its under your bed.

Not saying we need a grandad in charge, just saying that going for another "risk" manager is not the best choice. We may as well stick with Holloway if that is our plan!

I do not see the appeal of Mike Newell if I am honest. No better or worse than Holloway so why make a change for changes sake.

Oh thats right caus Newell used to play for City - so what? Doesn't mean feck all, other than giving the fans false hope.

No its because he knows Div One and when with Luton they won the League by a distance.I don't give toss if he played LCFC,that is not a pre-requisite for me when looking for a Manager.Newell was doing ok with Luton when he left for whatever reason.Unlike Holloway he hasn't relegated two teamds so I think it slightly unfair to compare himwith Holloway.I'm not saying 'get him in' or ''he's the man' he is a suggestion and one I think its reasonable that we might be able to get.

Last edited:

I couldn't give a bollox if he'd sell his own Grandmother as long as he gets my Club back up to the Championship and then hopefully the Premier,I don't want to like him or challenge his morals or him to be a regular Church Goer.The other things you mentioned are guesses,there is no proof.He's not liked,he's a miserable chauvinistic arsehole but IMO he is a decent football Manager who has proved he can get a team out of Division One and easily

Last edited:
I couldn't give a bollox if he'd sell his own Grandmother as long as he gets my Club back up to the Championship and then hopefully the Premier,I don't want to like him or challenge his morals or him to be a regular Church Goer.The other things you mentioned are guesses,there is no proof.He's not liked,he's a miserable chauvinistic arsehole but IMO he is a decent football Manager who has proved he can get a team out of Division One and easily
I agree with all of that to a certain extent, H. I wasn't offering my opinion, I was just opening an avenue of conversation up.

I agree with all of that to a certain extent, H. I wasn't offering my opinion, I was just opening an avenue of conversation up.

Trouble is people not only want a successful Manager they want one they like,one who makes them laugh,is one of the lads,plays nice pretty attractive football and is morally sound.None of that matters all that matters is winning.

Trouble is people not only want a successful Manager they want one they like,one who makes them laugh,is one of the lads,plays nice pretty attractive football and is morally sound.None of that matters all that matters is winning.

If that were true we would still be managed by Martin Allen surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669