How I See It

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeCovFox

I've noticed a fair bit of knee jerking and 'Sven Out' talk on this and other City forums since last night. Obviously such talk is a bit silly. But that isn't to say that there aren't problems for us to discuss, both on and off the pitch. For what it's worth, here's my take.

The Manager

I like Eriksson and I was delighted when we appointed him. No other manager at this level can boast his honours list. At one point last season he got us playing some of the most expansive, entertaining football I can remember since I first started supporting City in the 1993/94 season. I want to be entertained when I watch a football match and watching us scoring four against each of Millwall and Barnsley last season gave me great hope that we would see an attacking side mount a promotion challenge this time around.

Unfortunately the team stopped being so adventurous after the Bristol City match last season. In every game I have watched since there has been almost no attacking movement, pace, or width. It's dull. I could cope with dull if it was winning us matches. But it hasn't been doing so for a little while now. Eriksson has proven that he can get us playing exciting and winning football. But for whatever reason, conservatism on the pitch seems to be his preference. Unless of course he is telling the players to be a lot more fluid than they have been, in which case he needs to be imposing his authority more.

As I said above, Eriksson can boast a trophy haul unrivalled by his Championship contemporaries. But that counts for sod all right now. It is of course silly to be calling for his head. But in about ten games time, if things continue how they have started this season, doubts about his position will become much more understandable. I didn't care that Sousa had managed to finish 7th with Swansea in 2009/10 when we were bottom of the table last season (and my expectations were lower), and I certainly won't care that Eriksson won Serie A with Lazio if we are struggling this time around. Eriksson should be given more time, but it shouldn't be unlimited. For what it's worth, I think he will get it right.

The Owners

I doubt that this will be a popular viewpoint, but then I don't really care. I can see that is exciting to see the club spending money the way it has been. It's nice to be called promotion favourites, and nice to get a bit of media coverage about the place. But ultimately all this spending is very dangerous for the club. If we don't succeed in getting promoted then in a few years time we will be in real trouble. And even if we do go up in the next two or three seasons there are grounds for concern. Ask Leeds and Portsmouth fans. Believe that these guys are sticking around for life bankrolling the club all you want. But they're here to make money and if they don't do that they will be off.

We've been here before of course. Martin O'Neill selfishly backed a boardroom faction to suit his own agenda - one which would spend money without due regard for the financial future of the club. This was most obvious under during Peter Taylor's tenure at the club. He was given money to spend and spent it on crap. We ended up going down, couldn't sustain the wages being spent on players signed by both O'Neill and Taylor, and went into administration. There is nothing to suggest that what is happening now will end differently.

All of this is apart from the alleged dodgy behaviour of King Power in Thailand. I have no idea how true these allegations are, but they don't fill me with confidence in our owners. Some may say that it doesn't matter so long as they do right by the club. I disagree. But that's a different debate. I don't want to sound too curmudgeonly. I'm not saying we shouldn't enjoy the ride. Who knows what will happen? I may be wrong and these guys might turn us into a force to be reckoned with. I hope so. I'm just warning that nobody should be too surprised if it does go wrong down the line. A lot of fans seem to have embraced our new owners without question. That isn't a healthy position to take.

The Owners

All of this is apart from the alleged dodgy behaviour of King Power in Thailand. I have no idea how true these allegations are, but they don't fill me with confidence in our owners. Some may say that it doesn't matter so long as they do right by the club. I disagree. But that's a different debate.

What are you talking about ?

What are you talking about ?

The bit where he says "the alleged dodgy behaviour of King Power in Thailand" might contain a clue. Is this the first time you have heard about this?

I think major upheaval should be avoided if at all possible. I don't think Sven is the right manager to get us out of the Championship - and the way forward may well be to bring in a talented coach and give him responsibility for picking the team and tactics.

Sven could then move to effectively a figure head/ ambassadorial type role.

I think major upheaval should be avoided if at all possible. I don't think Sven is the right manager to get us out of the Championship - and the way forward may well be to bring in a talented coach and give him responsibility for picking the team and tactics.

Sven could then move to effectively a figure head/ ambassadorial type role.

We'd then be paying him a king's ransom for doing feck all. He's lost two games at home FFS, give him a chance!

We'd then be paying him a king's ransom for doing feck all. He's lost two games at home FFS, give him a chance!

I'm not judging him on losing two home games this season. He lost the plot by the end of February last season. Its very important to get a flying start to the season if you want to get promotion. Sven has had a distinguished career as a manager but its years since he had any success and I don't think it will work out well at Leicester. Best to phase him out - the outcomes will outweigh the costs involved.

I'm not judging him on losing two home games this season. He lost the plot by the end of February last season. Its very important to get a flying start to the season if you want to get promotion. Sven has had a distinguished career as a manager but its years since he had any success and I don't think it will work out well at Leicester. Best to phase him out - the outcomes will outweigh the costs involved.

Unreal.

Don't mind Redditch, he loves a bit of misery.

I'd love to see his posting stats post-defeat as to post-victory.

Last edited:
Don't mind Redditch, he loves a bit of misery.

I'd love to see his posting stats post-defeat as to post-victory.

It doesnt matter in the slightest what I post or think.

However, I doubt if the owners are as comfortable as you about how things have shaped up since the end of last February.

Its one thing to have a 'name' manager and play friendles against fancy dan opponents but these guys want success which means a return on their current and future investments which means they want promotion.

Sven has a set of skills but its doubtful if these include hands on management at this level. Bring someone in with a different set of skills to complement Sven'sand everyone could be happy.

It doesnt matter in the slightest what I post or think.

However, I doubt if the owners are as comfortable as you about how things have shaped up since the end of last February.

Its one thing to have a 'name' manager and play friendles against fancy dan opponents but these guys want success which means a return on their current and future investments which means they want promotion.

Sven has a set of skills but its doubtful if these include hands on management at this level. Bring someone in with a different set of skills to complement Sven'sand everyone could be happy.

At what point did I label myself comfortable? I'm as disheartened as most by our early season form. I just have a different diagnosis for it than you do.

Last edited:
At what point did I label myself comfortable? I'm as disheartened as most by our early season form. I just have a different diagnosis for it than you do.

Fine - by the time the leaves have fallen we will find out. The fact that we haven't replaced Powell provides an easy route for the owners to trying something different.

Personally I wouldn't be against having Sven move 'upstairs' so to speak and having a manager come in who has more relevant experience at getting out of this division. I don't think we'd get Martin O'Neill for a second but Billy Davies would have to be a great shout if it did happen. I should clarify I think it would be ridiculous to sack him after 3 games of the season. We could do with a bit of stability.

Personally I wouldn't be against having Sven move 'upstairs' so to speak and having a manager come in who has more relevant experience at getting out of this division. I don't think we'd get Martin O'Neill for a second but Billy Davies would have to be a great shout if it did happen. I should clarify I think it would be ridiculous to sack him after 3 games of the season. We could do with a bit of stability.

What's the point of 'moving him upstairs' to do feck all? Waste of money. If people want him gone, it's better to sack him and be done with it (which I agree would be utterly, utterly ludicrous by the way)

Anyway, I remember Sven saying he wouldn't want a director of football type role again, because he didn't enjoy it at Notts County, he said he missed being on the training field with the players.

Your sig sums it up - more goes on the managerial merry-go-round will not bring us success. Sven will get it right, we've just got to give him time. Just like we gave Martin O'Neill. Just like Man United gave Alex Ferguson.

How I see it.....we've got some right frigging idiots for supporters.

In this world of everbody wants everything and they want it now, they expect it from a football team.

Fickle boneheads!

we have played 4 competative games so far , won the 2 away ones lost 2 home ones, imo 1 striker is ok for away games but not at home (if he is not getting support he becomes extremely isolated, in the away games we have tended to attack more "on the break" and svens preferred system works better, As it is at the moment im prepared to wait for the creative midfielder or striker we desperately need but my optomism is certainly waneing i was certain we would beat Bristol(we failed) i dont think we will beat trees (will we?)

Last edited:
I think Vassell was shaping up for the season quite nicely before his sending off and perhaps would made a significant difference in the two home games.

Unfortunately, we will never know.

Jam?

Disgusting.

Think of the state of the bedsheets for a starter. Absolutely ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566