How to turn on a radiator with a turned screw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that didn't ****ing work did it. The screw through the top is actually attached to the valve, so cracking the plastic thing off didn't really help. Tried to turn it with pliers and black shit started leaking out. Time to call in my dad I think.

Plumber

Well that didn't ****ing work did it. The screw through the top is actually attached to the valve, so cracking the plastic thing off didn't really help. Tried to turn it with pliers and black shit started leaking out. Time to call in my dad I think.

It sounds as though your spindle is seized in the gland nut or (less likely) the valve head. So instead of turning the spindle, you're undoing the gland nut.

You need to get some WD-40. Spray it where the spindle enters the top of the tap and give it a little time to get to work. You will then need two spanners (or pairs of pliers, if you must). Use one spanner to hold the gland nut still, while you use the other to turn the spindle and open the valve.

pillartap.jpg

Blown up tap shows parts - similar to radiator valve

It sounds as though your spindle is seized in the gland nut or (less likely) the valve head. So instead of turning the spindle, you're undoing the gland nut.

You need to get some WD-40. Spray it where the spindle enters the top of the tap and give it a little time to get to work. You will then need two spanners (or pairs of pliers, if you must). Use one spanner to hold the gland nut still, while you use the other to turn the spindle and open the valve.

pillartap.jpg

Blown up tap shows parts - similar to radiator valve

Excellent cheers Boc, that sounds about right

somebody must have seen :102: melts? homer ?

If you were inferring that in fact you did the very same thing as city fan then yes I seen it.

I still can't see it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47