HS2 trainline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply a total disgrace

Lovely stuff macky

Following the Japanese model for keeping people in work by spending fortunes on major infrastructure projects, this didn't work for them and won't work for the UK either.

Following the Japanese model for keeping people in work by spending fortunes on major infrastructure projects, this didn't work for them and won't work for the UK either.

HS1 has worked for stations that are directly served by it. Every other station in Kent and some in East Sussex have been disadvantaged by it. I personally am faced with the choice of a 23 minute longer journey to London (than before HS1) or of paying up to 60% more to get there 5 minutes earlier than I used to - and to a station that is usually less convenient for my final destination.

HS1 has worked for stations that are directly served by it. Every other station in Kent and some in East Sussex have been disadvantaged by it. I personally am faced with the choice of a 23 minute longer journey to London (than before HS1) or of paying up to 60% more to get there 5 minutes earlier than I used to - and to a station that is usually less convenient for my final destination.

There are clearly a few people who will benefit from any scheme such as HS1/2, but this plan seems like a ludicrous waste of money. As you mention, many, many people will lose out as a result of this, and I don't think the people that will benefit are that bothered by it all! The cost is astronomical and the rate of return calculated by the government is extremely low, even for such an investment (and that includes some very dubious calculations regarding time saved on the journey).

They're ploughing through miles of previously unspoilt countryside, uprooting people and costing each tax payer thousands of pounds.

It's a farce on every level.

I was referring more to the economic model where the government keeps people in work by building new infrastructure, Japan did this by replacing airports etc when this wasn't needed.

I was referring more to the economic model where the government keeps people in work by building new infrastructure, Japan did this by replacing airports etc when this wasn't needed.

I'd prefer that to the previous govt's model of putting everyone on the council's payroll, at least we'll have something to show for it at the end.

The country is going to need the extra capacity eventually, it's not going to do our county any good apparently and it is a lot of money. In short who knows?

The country is going to need the extra capacity eventually, it's not going to do our county any good apparently and it is a lot of money. In short who knows?

I don't know much about the alternatives, but for £32bn they could have improved the current infrastructure.

And the extra capacity isn't clear - it's going to take a very long time for £32bn (plus all the overruns) of benefit to be seen by companies/the general public.

Democracy is on it's arse it seems.

Two things you can be sure of, it will be over budget and not delivered on time.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see if a British Company gets the contract(s).
Whoever gets the contract to manufacture the Carriages, hopefully it's not the same crap about that great British trainmaker, erm Canadian, Bombadier.

As anyone who's lived there will attest: £32billion is a small price to pay to help people escape Birmingham faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669