i like my ipod but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because you have to use that crap bloated iTunes software to do it don't you? Bog standard MP3 players can put music onto and off any Windows/Linux/Mac box as and when you want with no extra stuff needed.

That's always been my biggest beef about iPods. If they sort out the proprietory software nonsense then I would be first in the queue for one.

So your beef with iPods is the fact that you cannot illegally share music using them? :102:

Good post as well Moon Face! :038:

Last edited:
I think ipods are nice to look at, the software is OK, and they are fairly easy to use.

For me that isn't the issue. Having your whole record collection monopolised and owned by Apple is nothing short of illegal IMO. You buy the records, you should be allowed to play them on any brand of music player.

What happens when a new mp3 player comes out that you really, REALLY want?. Tough shit, you can't have it because Apple have you by the bollocks.

I tried to explain to some bloke on Saturday this situation. He had burned his songs to his cpu and used Windows Media to play them but he wanted them on his iPod. I mentioned that if he wanted me to put new songs on his iPod and then he wouldn't be able to play them on Windows Media.

So your beef with iPods is the fact that you cannot illegally share music using them? :102:

Who said anything about illegally sharing music? I certainly didn't.

There are quite valid reasons to want an MP3 player to be able to take your music to and from a laptop and desktop for example.

My 'beef' with iPods is the proprietory software as already stated.

I tried to explain to some bloke on Saturday this situation. He had burned his songs to his cpu and used Windows Media to play them but he wanted them on his iPod. I mentioned that if he wanted me to put new songs on his iPod and then he wouldn't be able to play them on Windows Media.

He could if they were MP3 format.

Why is it that despite my objections and reservations about iPods, since reading this thread I find myself drawn towards them and am currently looking at online pricing for them.

Agghhhhhhhhhh. Somebody help me!!

So your beef with iPods is the fact that you cannot illegally share music using them? :102::

i'd say about 5% of my ipod is stolen never paid for, 20% is stuff i have owned at some point or own on vinyl and 75% is stuff i have on CD

do i wanna steal music, yeah

is Apple letting me? not easily

we can go into the morality of stealing music if yuo want, but i don't care, me and millions of others want to move stuff around on our own devices indepentently of Apple's stance on piracy

Good post as well Moon Face! :038:

thanx..i think :)

Using .Mac software with the iPod is excellent. The problem is the machine has been forceably flogged to Windows users, without the care and attention it requires. I too would not buy one if I wasn't a Mac user.

i'd say about 5% of my ipod is stolen never paid for, 20% is stuff i have owned at some point or own on vinyl and 75% is stuff i have on CD

do i wanna steal music, yeah

is Apple letting me? not easily

we can go into the morality of stealing music if yuo want, but i don't care, me and millions of others want to move stuff around on our own devices indepentently of Apple's stance on piracy

thanx..i think :)

I fully agree with you on it, its just I find it hard to comprehend that some people are criticising a product when it is the law they should have 'beef' with.

In fact, I don't think people really have that much 'beef' with the actual product. I have had mine for over 3 years and have never had any problems with it apart from the battery is not as good as it was, so I'm waiting for a new one! I think people don't want to give to a highly successful company, or don't want to own a best selling product because 'everyone else' has one and/or they aspire to be different to 'everyone else' and see themselves above the norm.

By the way, how long did it take you to change your battery, was it really a 'military operation'? :eek: :icon_lol:

I fully agree with you on it, its just I find it hard to comprehend that some people are criticising a product when it is the law they should have 'beef' with.

But there is no law that compels you to use proprietary software to connect a storage device to a PC.

But it is illegal to distribute music where you do not have the right to do so.

Anyways, the iPod is fully loaded now with a new battery, lovin' it again! :biggrin:

Wouldn't mind having an iPod Touch but going to wait until they do something around the 50-60GB region, 16GB is just no where near enough!!

Last edited:
But it is illegal to distribute music where you do not have the right to do so.

If you buy a CD you are well within your rights to rip that CD & transfer the copy to whichever storage device or PC that you want to.

Also if you buy DRM free music from somewhere like emusic.com the file is yours to do with as you please.

If you buy a CD you are well within your rights to rip that CD & transfer the copy to whichever storage device or PC that you want to.

Also if you buy DRM free music from somewhere like emusic.com the file is yours to do with as you please.

Amazon in the US is selling only DRM free MP3s, I expect the others to follow their lead if they want to stay in business.

I like my iPod.
Being a ridiculously vain man as long as I look good I'm happy.

and original

:icon_roll

Ah, the roll eyes emoticon.
A personal favourite of mine.
For the record though that wasn't a dig at anyone with an iPod, that's my actual view.

It drags and drops, stores 8gig of music, take 3MP photos and performs a damn fine telecommunications function.

Why would anyone want to carry a camera, a phone AND and MP3 player in their pocket...unless they aren't very well endowed?

And it works with Linux.

GPD_46196_28_0_4000.png

(All of this had better be true when I get mine delivered or I'm going to be more than a tad miffed)

All of this had better be true when I get mine delivered or I'm going to be more than a tad miffed

Tis indeed all true I've a Sony Ericsson, not that exact one but similar.
Delighted with it.

Tis indeed all true I've a Sony Ericsson, not that exact one but similar.
Delighted with it.
I've got a w850i at the mo' - the 960 hasn't been released yet so I'm going to have to go onto monthly contract until it is.

I just wish they'd include a digital radio.

I'd quite gladly survive with just the phone if it had at least 30 gig of storage for music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669